Complaint Review: GOLD'S GYM, WEST COVINA, CA

• Submitted: Fri, December 06, 2013
  • Updated: Fri, December 06, 2013

• Reported By: anon — walnut California
502 Plaza Dr WEST COVINA, California USA

GOLD'S GYM, WEST COVINA, CA Terrible customer service, membership cancellation problems, shady staff WEST COVINA California

When I got a new job in Lake Forest, Orange County, I decided to cancel my membership with Gold's since it was now out of my way on my commute from work to home and I wanted to save money for gas. I went to cancel my membership one Saturday in June, but was told that cancellations can only be made on the weekdays between 10am - 7pm. (Why? Because the Manager is only there on the weekdays.) These hours conflicted with my work schedule so I asked to make an appointment on a weekend, but that was something else they "could not" do. They said the other option was to write a letter cancelling my membership and send it certified to the gym. When I asked if they needed ANYTHING else besides the letter, they said no, so I thought it was easy enough.

I wrote up a letter, then called again to verify that it was ok for me to cancel via certified mail. I was told that it was ok, so I sent it a few days later. A month later, I did not get a response, but I did still get charged for my monthly dues. I called the gym back to ask about it and they said that they needed at least 30 days notice for cancellation, so they would deduct for July, and my membership would be cancelled in August. Ok, I thought, my mistake, I didn't read the contract fully.

So August came, and this time the gym called me telling me that my letter was NOT VALID. They said it was because a cancellation letter is only permissible if a member moves at least 25 miles from the gym. I was furious; as you recall, I asked TWICE if I needed to submit proof of anything to cancel my membership and two different people gave me the same dumb answer. I demanded to speak with the manager. I asked him again if I could make some appointment with him to discuss this and cancel, but he refused (He couldn't show up for an hour on one weekend to help a customer?) The only thing he could do was put a note on my account to cancel my membership right on the expiration date, instead of me going in 30 days earlier to request a cancellation.

So I went in again in September because the only other option was to transfer my membership to my brother so at least it was being put to use. I told the "acting manager" my situation and she transferred the membership to my brother just fine. BUT when I asked about that little note the General Manager had put to cancel my membership right away without advanced notice, she told me  that because it was a transfer that notice was no longer valid and my brother would have to come in a month before the expiration date to cancel the membership again.

Furious again, I asked them to also show me on the contract where it said I needed to move 25 miles away for my certified cancellation letter to be valid. That was the thing that probably pissed me off the most because NO ONE SEEMED TO EITHER KNOW OR GIVE A d**n ABOUT TELLING ME THIS BEFORE I SENT IN THE LETTER. The contract actually states if a member moves 25+ miles away, he/she can suspend payments if they give 30 days notice of suspension or cancellation.

So my question is...WHERE IN THAT STATEMENT DOES IT SAY I HAVE TO MOVE 25 MILES AWAY FOR MY LETTER TO BE VALID? WHERE DOES IT EVEN MENTION A LETTER? Does't it just mean that people who have moved have this option? It doesn't restrict others who simply just want to cancel their membership from doing the same thing.

But of course, the stupid employee gives the same answer "only the General Manager can cancel your membership". So now my brother has my gym membership. I was actually satisfied with this gym when I did use my membership. It was clean and classes were good, but I am so enraged by this whole cancellation mess (which took 3 months) that I will definitely be letting people know about their gross lack of customer service, their severly undertrained staff, and the stupidity of their cancellation procedures. GOLD'S GYM CARES NOTHING ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS, ONLY ABOUT MAKING MONEY AND THEIR F#!$ING SALES.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/06/2013 04:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GOLDS-GYM-WEST-COVINA-CA/WEST-COVINA-California-91790/GOLDS-GYM-WEST-COVINA-CA-Terrible-customer-service-membership-cancellation-problems-1105007. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GOLD'S GYM, WEST COVINA, CA