Complaint Review: Goodwill Industries

• Submitted: Wed, March 24, 2010
  • Updated: Wed, September 08, 2010

• Reported By: Shelley — anacortes Washington U.S.A.
Goodwill Industries
102 VALLEY MALL WY MT.VERNON, Washington United States of America

Goodwill Industries RIPPED ME OFF MT.VERNON, Washington

*Consumer Comment: Goodwill is Out of Control

*Consumer Suggestion: Ummm

*Consumer Comment: Are you serious?

I have donated to goodwill many times AND spent a lot of money there.

In the past year they have gone up in prices double and triple.

When they think something is old they charge outrageous prices, Goodwill is given this stuff free.

And the main reason they are in operation is to help the needy. Am I wrong?

I shop there both-for things I need and things I collect.

And now they even have an online auction with bidding. They are out of control!

Another thing they put their price stickers on bottom of everything and when your looking for a particular item to match with something you have at home like dinnerware etc.or collectibles, you can't see what it is. They call a lot of things that are not that old antiques and charge $29.99-or more for them.

I am so upset that they can do this to people and rip them off like this.One of these days people will just stop donating completely.

Can't the government regulate them? They are not helping people like they are supposed to.

That is all I have to say.They need to be investigated.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/24/2010 02:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Goodwill-Industries/MTVERNON-Washington-/Goodwill-Industries-RIPPED-ME-OFF-MTVERNON-Washington-585049. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Goodwill Industries

Goodwill is Out of Control

AUTHOR: aguyer6754 - (United States of America)

I to have a few issues with the Goodwill organization. Firstly I donate to them all the time and I go to my local Goodwill almost four times a week to buy things. I also use their auction web site to purchase things. In other words I am very familiar with this organization.

First issue: I donated some furniture to my local Goodwill and was told it would be displayed and sold at the local location. I shopped at this Goodwill store five time that week and never saw the furniture displayed. When I inquired about it I was told that it was sold already. The furniture was never displayed that week if it had been I would have seen it on the floor which leads me to believe that it was either junked or stolen but I know for a fact that it was never displayed

Second issue: Goodwill is supposed to be a "Thrift Shop" that provides items at bargain prices so the needy can afford them. Prices at the Goodwill have risen very sharply so sharply in fact that in some cases these second hand items are sold at the same prices you could buy new at the original store. Where's the bargain in that? I have found many items with original store price tags on them and Goodwill marks the item with the same price sometimes even higher. They are given things for free and their prices should reflect some sort of bargain for needy consumers.

I also shop at the local Salvation Army store in my area and the consensus among Sally shoppers is that there are no true bargains at the Goodwill. The Sally store is always packed with people and their kids on a daily basis. The Goodwill is always empty and will have only a hand full of people shopping. Maybe they would draw more customers with reasonable prices. Would it not be better for the people they support if the store was always filled with shoppers. We would return again and again if we felt we were getting a bargain but the fact is that we do not so with less shoppers they actually hurt them selves with their very high prices. Not smart at all!

Third issue: The shop Goodwill online is a rip off. They start out with low bid prices and then want to charge sometimes 3X the price of the item for shipping. I also do ebay and ship many items per week to locations all over the country and world and I swear I can't figure out how Goodwill gets away with the prices they charge for shipping. They once wanted to charge me $12 to ship a 2 lb item to a location 15 miles from their location in OH but only $8 to ship it to me in RI. When did shipping items to farther location become less expensive. I also believe that they cherry pick items and instead of offering good items to local needy residents at fair prices they put out the junk in their stores and try to sell what they think is more valuable in their rigged auction process in addition to the inflated shipping cost.

I have a friend who was charged $17 to ship a 1 lb item when the USPS would have only charged $8.90 to his location. Where did the rest of the money go? You figure it out!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Ummm

AUTHOR: Susan - (USA)

You said "And the main reason they are in operation is to help the needy. Am I wrong?"

So you are mad because you bought something from a charity and couldn't sell it on Ebay for what you paid.  Giving you a deal so you can make money on EBay is not there priority.

SHAME ON YOU!! Because of people like you is why the needy cant afford to shop at Salvation Army anymore.

Are you serious?

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"They had a price on an item they called antique that was too much and I asked them if they would come down,and they said no. so I bought it anyway and ended up trying to sell it on ebay and it wasn't even worth half of what I payed."

Sounds like you ripped yourself off.  If you're going to be in the Ebay selling business, it helps to know the value of an item before you buy it and try to flip it.  The true value of an item is what someone is willing to pay for it.  Goodwill obviously priced the item correctly, because you paid it.   That's more money for the good folks at Goodwill.  Bravo!

"And the main reason they are in operation is to help the needy. Am I wrong?"

You're absolutely right.   If they'd priced the item lower, that would have been less money for their charitable cause.

"I am so upset that they can do this to people and rip them off like this."

So, let me get this straight.   You feel you were ripped off because they don't price their items low enough that you can buy them and flip them on Ebay?   That's not what they're in business for.

"One of these days people will just stop donating completely."

Not me.   I give them stuff in the hopes that they will be able to make the maximum amount of money off those items to support their charitable activities.  You, on the other hand, appear to think that Goodwill exists to supply low priced items for your Ebay sales.  They don't.

"Can't the government regulate them?"

What do you suggest?  The Department of Goodwill Price Control?  That's a hoot!