Complaint Review: Green Dot Corporation

• Updated: Sun, November 03, 2013

• Reported By: Eddie — Mill Spring North Carolina
Green Dot Corporation
3465 E. Foothill Blvd. Pasadena, California USA

Green Dot Corporation Steven W. Streit Told me Wal-Mart did not want my business any longer! Pasadena California

*Author of original report: GE Capital Retail Bank involved

*UPDATE Employee: Green Dot Corporation Response

I purchased a prepaid Walmart Master Card some years ago, from Walmart. I have used this card on a regular basis for years. My spending, nor my loading the card habits have never changed over this time. I have been satisfied with the card I have until now.

I tried to use my card recently and it was declined, in spite of having the funds on the account. I called the number listed on the card for customer service and I was connected with an automated system of the “Green Dot” company. That recording would only tell me that “green dot” has decided that my debit card business with Walmart was no longer desired and that Walmart has terminated the card and furthermore Walmart would not accept me as a customer any longer. No reason was given.

I tried to contact a live person at this “green dot” company and after many hours I was able to get an out of country call center. At that point I was told “due to unusual use” the account was no longer active. I asked many times just what the “unusual use” was, and I was told that was confidential and basically “none of my business”.

I contacted the Walmart home offices and assured that Walmart would find out the problem and resolve it. But, I have not been contacted by Walmart, but by someone at the “green dot company”.

An agent named “Bernie” (refused to give his last name or employee id) called me and made it obvious he was bothered by the fact that I had contacted the Walmart Corporate office. He had to look the account up and when he found it he asked me several questions and I did not feel comfortable answering his questions since I have no dealing with this company and have no idea who they may be. He asked me how I reloaded my card, I answered that I have done that within the Walmart stores and also with the “Money Pack” cards I have purchased in Walmart. At that he asked if anyone else had purchased maney pack cards for me. I said yes, my daughter in law had purchased on not long ago.

Based on that answer he told me that was the reason Walmart no longer wanted my business. He went on to say the terms of the card use had been violated and the card was not intended for that type of use. QUITE FRANKLY, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS PERSON IS TALKING ABOUT!

I do not do business with "green dot" and I have done my business with Walmart for years. I understand that Walmart may use this company as a vendor, but no more than I would go to a farmer to complain about produce I bought at Walmart, I will not go to their arrogant vendor.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/22/2013 05:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Green-Dot-Corporation-/Pasadena-California-91107/Green-Dot-Corporation-Steven-W-Streit-Told-me-Wal-Mart-did-not-want-my-business-any-long-1093883. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Green Dot Corporation

GE Capital Retail Bank involved

AUTHOR: Eddie - ()

GE Capital Retail Bank and WalMart Corp have gotten involved! Hopefully green dot will be cut out of the loop with WalMart debit cards issued by GE Capital Retail Bank!

Green Dot Corporation Response

AUTHOR: Green Dot Corporation - ()

The Walmart MoneyCard (Card) is a Visa branded prepaid reloadable debit card, issued by GE Capital Retail Bank (GECRB) and serviced by Green Dot Corporation (Green Dot). Circumstances which would call for a block or closure vary depending on the card type and the activity. If your account was closed due to unusual activity, we are not able to provide specific details what caused us to make the decision to close the account for security. In most cases we will allow access to the funds on the card because we know customers need access to their funds. Unfortunately, we can’t allow further reloading activity or to open new accounts once a customer’s account has been flagged for closure.