Complaint Review: Green Dot Corporation

• Updated: Sat, October 26, 2013

• Reported By: GovtCheese — Chillicothe Illinois
Green Dot Corporation
465 E. Foothill Blvd. Pasadena, California USA

Green Dot Corporation Green Dot Visa card Green Dot locks card after Wal-Mart puts refund on card as a debit Pasadena California

*General Comment: two different processes...

I purchased an iPhone at Wal-Mart and returned it because it didn't work on WalMart's StraightTalk network. Using my Green Dot Visa, I instead ended up ordering my iPhone via the internet. So, I returned the phone to my local WalMart.

When I was at the customer service counter at Walmart, I asked for $250 in cash and $500 to be loaded to my Green Dot card. I did this because earlier in the week I bought a MoneyPak and loaded it to my card on the Internet where it said the next time I just needed to swipe my card to load money.

The cashier told me to enter by 4 digit pin on my debit card from Green Dot. The only time I have ever done that was during ATM withdrawals. Later that day I went to buy a camera and the card was declined. I called Green Dot and they said my card was locked for suspicious purchases or attemps. The customer service rep. said I was being turned over to the investigations dept. [continued below]....

.....

So I was told by Green Dot to fax my original receipt (which I paid cash for the iPhone) to them. After faxing it later that night, I receive a call from Green Dot saying I needed to fax to a different number. I did it. So they received two faxes over 2 days.

My refund is still PENDING as well as purchases on the card, including Walmart's Straight Talk service for the iPhone that will work on their system.

Day two, no money. No return call. On the web it tells me all my purchases and refund are pending. Some of the purchases are nearly 5 days old.

The guy who called and told me he hadn't received my fax never gave his name or provided a telephone number to verify he received my fax(es). Furthermore, he said he would call me right back after I told him on his second call to me that he hadn't received my faxes.

Very frustrating. Green Dot is a joke. They are thieves in my opinion. Holding your money and investaging my cash purchase and return to Walmart. I wanted $500 loaded to my card. That is their daily minimum.

They contend since I never used their card to purchase the phone at Walmart, I am not able to get a refund sent to the card.

I don't want a refund. I specifically asked the CSR at Walmart to load $500 of my refund to my Green Dot card. Big mistake. I question the legality and the validity in holding any of my funds, And the iPhone purchase for Straight Talk is also pending on my locked card. Grrrrrrr.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/07/2013 09:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Green-Dot-Corporation/Pasadena-California-91107/Green-Dot-Corporation-Green-Dot-Visa-card-Green-Dot-locks-card-after-Wal-Mart-puts-refund-1090256. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Green Dot Corporation

#1 General Comment

two different processes...

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

The issue is that they applied the refund to your card. As this was not the card it was purchased with this is causing a issue. This is a two part miscommunication. Had you told them to give you your cash back and THEN load your green dot card, there would be no issues. You will just have to wait for them to straighten it out. This is one of the major problems with NOT having a bank sponsered debit card. Whenever there is suspicious activity they lock you down until its resolved. Yes I know youre mad and youre frustrated. The big old mean corporation is holding your cookie money. We get it. But its done FOR YOUR PROTECTION!!!

If they did not do thier due diligance and ensure that there is no issue and something happend that lost your money you would be attempting to sue. So sit back and relax you cant force them to work faster. You are just one of the millions of ppl who use thier card. You will just have to wait. They are not thieves, they are just making sure that both you and they are not being ripped off.