• Report: #861942

Complaint Review: Green Dot - Walmart Pre paid money card

• Submitted: Sat, March 31, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, May 03, 2012

• Reported By: Candace Roseburg oregon — Roseburg Oregon United States of America
Green Dot - Walmart Pre paid money card
po box monrovia, California United States of America

Green Dot - Walmart Pre paid money card YOUR MONEY IS NOT PROTECTED AS STATED BY SELLER monrovia, California

*Consumer Comment: Team Rebutt caught you

*Consumer Comment: But I sent an email to you

*Consumer Suggestion: The exact same thing just happened to me!

*Consumer Comment: Insurance..

*General Comment: why

*Consumer Comment: Green Dot - Funny comment

*UPDATE Employee: Green Dot Corporation Response

I purchased the highly advertised Walmart Money Card, FDIC by Green Dot financial.  I later found out they are one of the same.  Insured itself?    The card was purchased for my daughter, 19 yrs old, student working 2 hours from home.  Had tips / cash, transportation the bus until she came home on weekends.   Her bag was stolen, cash, credit cards, Walmart Money card with excess of 900.00 on it to purchase a car.  They used this card for over 600.00 within a matter of hours before the cancellation was placed.    We have witness of users, users on camera and fraud and theft charges filed with Springfield Oregon police department.  We did all the leg work, checking stores, cameras, finding persons involved.

Simple........not.  Walmart Money Card (get a translator) after days not hours with multiple calls from us to them decided I did not secure the card thus am out of luck.  They stated I willfully gave the card, pin and my authorization for its use.   A pin was not used it was simply done as a debit. No ID was asked for by teller.  Security camera and personal stated it was obvious, cracked out individuals that should have been asked for ID. Walmarts investigation was not with stores (5 of them) or with the police department. It was decided by the inept persons in customers service with a serious language barrier. I replaced the money to my daughter and am working on this myself.  I was the fool that purchasaed the (secure) card in the first place. I am following up with state and federal agencys to try and get the money back from the stores. That is what a legitimate Bank or Credit card would do.

In addition I am waiting for the March 9th replacemant card with remaining funds.  They said sent on the 9th, it didnt arrive.  They thus sent another on the 14th it has not arrived. Both were cancelled and a card sent Fed X on the 24th.  Yes, not arrived.   The fraud was with the original theft and use of card without authorization, the second crime is Walmart Money card negligence in following up with their guarantee.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/31/2012 02:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Green-Dot-Walmart-Pre-paid-money-card/monrovia-California-/Green-Dot-Walmart-Pre-paid-money-card-YOUR-MONEY-IS-NOT-PROTECTED-AS-STATED-BY-SELLER-m-861942. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Green Dot - Walmart Pre paid money card

Team Rebutt caught you

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

If you don't explain everything, cross all your T's and dot all your I's Team Rebutt will catch you every time. Always has an answer for problems. When will people learn that Team Rebutt must and demand that they approve all posts.

But I sent an email to you

AUTHOR: Dennis - (United States of America)

with a copy of the police report, and details about how I STILL have my cards in my hands, that YOUR Phillippine representatives claim were scanned.  There was never a scanning. You don't respond. What do you suggest we do now?  Money is just taken, and all we can do is file a police report.  The company(ies)  does(do) nothing.

I looked at the agreement, and it appears that the only recourse is do bring a small claim action in your state jurisdiction. The agreement says you will bring no class action, and that you must arbitrate, but I think that is a defense that they will raise after an appearance is made.  Since in my case, the money I had on the card was AGAIN credited to the merchant after they charged me a stolen card fee,  I think the contract is broken to the point where I can bring a local action.  Any thoughts?

#3 Consumer Suggestion

The exact same thing just happened to me!

AUTHOR: Dennis - (United States of America)

Contrary to your smarmy comments indicating that the writer had 'some knowledge' of the unauthorized use, I'd like you to know that the merchant TOLD me that they had video of a Hispanic man wearing a ball cap and sunglasses using my daughter's card WHEN THE CARD WAS IN MY HOUSE with me, twenty miles away.  Most people don't know when the moment their cards are lost, dummy!  If so, few cards would BE lost!  The man was reasonable in reporting it as soon as it was discovered. However, MY card was NEVER lost, it was copied somewhere, and run at a merchant along with a stack of other cards. My card was 'used' with out knowledge or anyone's permission for about $300 at 5:15 pm, (I had just loaded it at 3:30pm) and I discovered at 8:00 in the next morning that my balance was ZERO.  The Phillippine Red Dot company, at first placed the money back in my account, and sent out new cards (they said). They insisted that my daughter must have scanned the card, but the card and daughter were here at home with me.  When I informed them that the tape showed a Hispanic man (not my 17 year old daughter), using the card, they said no problem, we will issue the new cards. When the cards did not arrive, I called and they said 'oh, this is contested, now you must filed a contest report'.  They feigned speaking English off and on, and eventually said 'we are transferring your call to corporate office', and hung up. Thereafter, when ever I call the Walmart MoneyCard phone number,  I am put on electronic hold, than the phone is answered and immediately hung up by someone pressing three phone tones.  My emails are unanswered.   I was promised my money was safe. It is NOT safe. I did nothing irresponsible, wrong or fraudulent, except entrust my money to a place where it is easily lost.  The merchant volunteered the information, I didn't have to get a court order. I filed a police report immediately.  I provided them with a copy of the police report.

Insurance..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You seem to have a misunderstanding of what FDIC Insurance is.  All that is, is a guarantee that if the bank goes under you will get your money back.  It is NOT an insurance policy against the card being lost, stolen, or fraud.

I am following up with state and federal agencys to try and get the money back from the stores.  That is what a legitimate Bank or Credit card would do

- Don't count on it.  If it is a PIN Based transaction most will revert to the "You must have given your PIN Number out" and deny your dispute.   If it is a signature based transaction they will look at anything to determine if you were negligent.  If they don't give you your money back the best can probably do is hope they catch the criminal(s) and you have the ability to go after them for the money.

So your bigger problem is probably this statement...
- She should have reported her card stolen within minutes..not HOURS.  If she wasn't aware of when it was stolen, then they will claim that she was negligent in just leaving the card out of her possession.

- I actually find that statement very odd in many ways.  How did you track down witnesses to tthe use of the card?  Also most store security will outright refuse a regular customer to look at security video without a Court Order.  All of this seems to indicate that you may know more about who did this.  So do you know the people who used the card?  If you do that would go further to explain why they are denying putting the money back.

#5 General Comment

why

AUTHOR: Mrs. M - (USA)

Why would they want to send you an email? They are out 900 dollars and you want them to send an email?? You can't be serious. Green Dot Financial sounds like a joke. Walmart should be standing behind what they sell. Green Dot Financial simply seems to take money . Seriously??? An email???

To the Op , I wouldn't send an email to them. I would contact the FTC and who ever else I could about them. An email????

Green Dot - Funny comment

AUTHOR: Robert Walker - (United States of America)

Green dot says to call the number on the back of a stolen card....

HAHAHAAHA

Green Dot Corporation Response

AUTHOR: Green Dot Corporation - (USA)

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are here to help. Please contact customer support using the number on the back of your card regarding transaction disputes. You may also find information on disputing a transaction in the transaction history section of your online account or the cardholder agreement you received with your card. All dispute claims will be reviewed and resolved in a timely manner.  For help with the dispute claim and receiving the replacement you requested, please send an email to Customer.Advocacy@greendotcorp.com with your name, your phone number and a brief description of your issue.