Complaint Review: Greyhound Bus Lines

• Updated: Wed, November 13, 2013

• Reported By: Dismayed — Carbondale Colorado
Greyhound Bus Lines
Dallas, Texas USA

Greyhound Bus Lines Refused to Refund Bus Ticket My Son Purchased in My Name As Payor Dallas Texas

*Consumer Comment: Not a breach of contract

*Author of original report: It was a MISTAKE for Heaven's sake!

My son, who was traveling to Denver to get a plane back to school, purchased a bus ticket in my name.  He thought since he was using my charge card he should do this.  Later we discovered that according the company, the ticket had to made to the person who was traveling.  I then purchased a additional ticket made in his name so that he would be allowed on the bus.  I then applied for a refund of the unused ticket, and was told that due to the mistake made regarding the name on the ticket, I would probably receive a refund,

Several months later I received a letter stating that the ticket was non-refundable and "has zero refund value".

I called Greyhound Corporate and explained that the reason I applied for a refund was because my son made a mistake in putting me down as the traveler instead of himself.  I further explained that we purchased a replacement ticket for the same bus that we had purchased the original ticket for, so there was no loss of seating space on the bus that could justify a loss to Greyound.  Howver, the simple logic of my statements made no impression at all on Greyhound Corporate, and they simply kept repeating that the ticket was non-refundable.

To me this is a breach of contract, since it was unclear to my son that he needed to make sure he entered his name instead of mine as the traveler.  In previous cases such as this, involving services provided to the public under contractual terms, courts have ruled that where there was confusion regarding such matters, the courts ruled in favor of the client, and it is up to the company to make sure clients understand corporate policy in such matters.

It also should behoove corporations for the sake of good public relations to take such errors into consideration when there clearly is no loss or damage to their business.  In this case there clearly was no loss to their business since a duplicate purchase was made for the same service.  Under these circumstances disallowing a refund can be considered as exploitative, since it enriches the company at the expense of the public.

I am filing this complaint not just to obtain a refund for a duplicate purchase I was forced to make, but because I want people to be aware of how Greyhound conducts business.  Most other companies would cheerfully refund a client's money if a duplicate charge had been made, rather than use a procedural tactic to unconscionably extort further expense by their customers due to improperly filling out a ticket application.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/13/2013 12:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Greyhound-Bus-Lines/Dallas-Texas-75266/Greyhound-Bus-Lines-Refused-to-Refund-Bus-Ticket-My-Son-Purchased-in-My-Name-As-Payor-Dal-1099058. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Greyhound Bus Lines

Not a breach of contract

AUTHOR: coast - ()

“I further explained that we purchased a replacement ticket for the same bus that we had purchased the original ticket for, so there was no loss of seating space on the bus that could justify a loss to Greyound.”

That is incorrect. You paid for an empty seat. If you are issued a refund, then Greyhound loses the fare that they would have received by selling that seat to another customer.

“To me this is a breach of contract, since it was unclear to my son that he needed to make sure he entered his name instead of mine as the traveler.”

Your son supplied false information; therefore, it isn’t a breach of contract.

It was a MISTAKE for Heaven's sake!

AUTHOR: Dismayed - ()

My son made a mistake in filling out the ticket.  I purchased another ticket.  You could then have freed up the seat so it could be available to another customer instead of making me buy TWO tickets.  That means Greyhound allows no room for consumer error.  That seems liek a pretty bad way of doing business to me!