Complaint Review: Gulf Power-Florida

• Submitted: Fri, May 07, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, May 07, 2010

• Reported By: Megan E — Pensacola Florida United States of America
Gulf Power-Florida
One Energy Place Pensacola, Florida 32520. InternetPensacola, Florida United States of America

Gulf Power-Florida Massive overcharge InternetPensacola, Florida

My normal power bill is between 150.00- 200.00. I have a small brick house, older but well insulated. My heater is Gas. every thing other then that is electric. Only 2 people live here, my husband and I. Our house is older and has no electric outlet on the out side of the house.
Now all this being said 2 months ago I revived my bill from gulf power the previous bill was 153.72, this bill had jumped to 441.75!... HOW? Floored I called Gulf Power to ask what had happened Per the bill my usage was up but nothing had changed in my home at all.
The rep I spoke to started out very nice she explained my usage more then doubled and that If I would like she could send a person to do a "power audit" to see where I can save money on my bill. I explained to her that I actually had a power audit when I moved in and that it was fine my home was actually praised as to how insulated it was ect. I also explained that there had to be something wrong with the billing, the rep then got a bit snotty and responded " The bill is valid you used it, we billed it". I asked to speak to her supervisor who came on the line right away and said with out missing a beat " yes ma'me I understand you are calling about a VALID bill you wish to not pay",,,,( Ok first off I never said I would not pay my bill I have no issue paying a valid bill)  being calm i re explained my issue. The rep said some one must have stole my electric! After i educated her I have no outlets on the outside of my home for any one to try this ( not to mention a dog that would not hush if some one took a step in my yard) she told me "well I can send some one to do an eclectic audit to show you have to save money on your next bill" I then asked to speak to this supervisor's  supervisor. This sup was again very nice to start with. I again explained my issue and again was told this was a valid bill. I asked how exactly I could go about fighting this bill as I felt it was incorrect the lady told me flat out, " You can not fight the bill, you pay it or we will disconnect you plain and simple"  When I asked her how the company has no way for me to at all even have the bill investigated she AGAIN told me she could give me a power Audit. Totally frustrated I hung up and paid the bill at my whits end.
Now my very next bill has come, the total on the bill is the lowest it has ever been 149.00 again nothing has changed so I call gulf power and ask how this has happened  went from 153.00 to 441.00 and now back to 149.00??
Again I was told every thing is perfect it all adds up no issue any where and NO... you can not have your bill investigated.

I know Gulf Power is the ONLY dang company I can use they hold the power monopoly and I am stuck with a bill i know is incorrect and I have no choice to do any thing with it other then to pay. I know they have ripped me off and they can get away with it after all what am I going to do?....change company's? I have written letters to the top of the company and have had no response at all. I asked if they could at the very least work with me on the bill and I was denied even that and charged an extra 50.00 deposit to my next bill due to it being so "new" 10 months at the current address is too new!!! I am so upset that i have no rights at all!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/07/2010 05:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gulf-Power-Florida/InternetPensacola-Florida-32503/Gulf-Power-Florida-Massive-overcharge-InternetPensacola-Florida-601176. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gulf Power-Florida