Complaint Review: H Jack's Plumbing

• Reported By: Ripped Off — Cleveland Ohio
H Jack's Plumbing
29930 Lakeland Blvd Wickliffe, Ohio USA

H Jack's Plumbing Grossly Overcharged Wickliffe Ohio

I called H Jack's when the fan for my furnace began blowing only cool air last week.  The man on the phone was very pleasant, and made sure to ask me just before I hung up the phone how old my furnace was (I told him we had replaced it in 2000).   Within one hour, two equally pleasant repairmen arrived at my home. The two repairmen took a few minutes to check out my furnace and then the thermostat (about ten minutes total), and then came upstairs to let me know that I would need to replace the furnace ignitor and the thermostat--and was warned that those two repairs would be A LOT OF MONEY, but they would have to go out to their truck to verify the part prices and write up the estimate.  In the meantime, I was strongly urged to just replace my whole furnace, to the tune of about $3,700.  I told the main repairman that a furnace replacement was not in my budget and that I was only looking to fix the current problem.

When they returned with the written estimate, I was told that the repair cost would be $935, but they would deduct half of the $89 service call fee to reduce the bill to $890.  I told them that there was no way I would pay that much money for those two repairs and that I just wanted to pay the service call fee and shop around for a better price.  The main repairman offered to call his boss to see if the price could be lowered any, and he did lower it again, to $840, but that was still too much money for these two repairs.  So I insisted on paying the service call fee so they could go on their way.

Well, about ten minutes after they left I received a phone call from the repairmen.  The one who called me said that they were sitting in their truck at the corner gas station and had just finished talking with their boss.  He claimed that his boss just felt terrible about me and my son sitting in a cold house, so he was authorized to drop the repair price down to $635--would I accept that deal?  My brain told me no, I should just go some place warm and think about this a bit--compare prices over the internet, etc...but my gut also told me that no matter what furnace company I would call, I would encounter the same price switching games.  So I gave in and agreed to the repair for $635.

But now that I have had a couple days to think about it and compare parts prices online, I'm pissed.  This company ripped me off and there is no way to justify what they charged me.  The replacement parts for my furnace would cost me approximately $100 if I bought them myself; I would imagine that a plumbing/HVAC business would be able to purchase those parts for a bit less than that.  For labor, it took two repairmen a total of twelve (12) minutes to replace both the ignitor and the thermostat.  If I add the initial diagnostic time to that, I get 22 minutes labor time, which I'll round up to 1/2 hour.

I was originally quote a price of $935.  After subtracting $100 in parts, that leaves $835 for 1/2 hour of labor.  Seriously?

But the boss finally granted me that "deal" of $635...which still means I was charged $535 for 1/2 hour of labor.         I can't even tell you how stupid I feel right now.

Look...I know you need to charge a fair price to stay in business.  I also know you need to pay your service techs differential pay for evening hours (at least I hope you do that).  But there is no way in hell you can justify charging the equivalent of $1,070 per hour for what you do--and that is essentially what you did to me.  Your motto is "We want to be your plumber," but do you honestly believe that playing price games with your customers is the way to achieve that?  There is no reason why you, and every other repair service out there, cannot plainly list your part prices and labor charges clearly and upfront--I would gladly give all my repeat business and loyalty to a business that would treat me with honesty and respect like that.  But you blatantly took advantage of me, so now I believe I should let others know about my experience.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/29/2013 06:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/H-Jacks-Plumbing/Wickliffe-Ohio-44092/H-Jacks-Plumbing-Grossly-Overcharged-Wickliffe-Ohio-1103094. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on H Jack's Plumbing