Complaint Review: H & R Block

H & R Block
819 Arapaho Rd Dallas, Texas United States of America

H & R Block Rip off....Only trying to make more money out of me Dallas, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Why?

So I went to the tax office today to finally file them. Let me go ahead and mention that I am a full time student and I only work twice a week. Once I show the person my W2 he starts questioning me about my life...grant it i only made about 4k last year after noticing that my 1098 says I paid about 6K in tuition.

Questions from how do I even live? How do I pay my tuition? Like if this person has never heard of student loans. I go ahead and answer and say I use what I get back from the school after my tuition is paid for my living expenses. In which he responds that "it was a violation of student loans". Seriously?? I'm not even going to go ahead and elaborate on that.

Then the question of whether I still live at home came up in which I don't, I live with my boyfriend. In which he said "oh it all makes sense now". That's when he brought up that he needs to claim me as a dependent and whatnot. I in no way solely depend on him, and I really don't think this tax person really understands that if I were to do this then it would affect my chances for another loan (i.e. contribution from me). Why would I make someone liable for my school expenses when we aren't even married?!

He really pushed not filing it because he wanted me to bring in my bf and have us do it jointly.
I have been going to H &R block since 06, and after today I will never go back.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/29/2013 04:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/H-R-Block/Dallas-Texas-/H-R-Block-Rip-offOnly-trying-to-make-more-money-out-of-me-Dallas-Texas-1039158. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on H & R Block

Why?

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

Why with 4K in income are you even paying anyone to do your taxes?

Now, just to let you know the Dependent Question was quite a valid one.  per the IRS you do not have to be SOLELY dependent on him.  If he provides more than 1/2 of your support you could be considered his dependent.

IRS Code 152 Dependent Definition

A. General Definition In general terms, dependent means any of the following individuals over half of whose support, for the calendar year in which the taxable year of the taxpayer begins, was received from the taxpayer (or is treated under subsection C or E as received from the taxpayer):

(9) an individual (other than an individual who at any time during the taxable year was the spouse, determined without regard to Code 7703, of the taxpayer) who, for the taxable year of the taxpayer, has as his principal place of abode the home of the taxpayer and is a member of the taxpayers household

So it could be seen that since you are living with your BF, he could be considered supporting you.  Living Expenses include EVERYTHING..yes this includes rent and utilities.  If he is paying for the rent and utilities, that alone could put you into the Dependent Category.

Now with 4K in Salary is the IRS probably going to go after you..probably not and the chances are you will be just fine.  But if they do, you could be in some issues for any back taxes, and if this does effect your Student Loans you may have other issues.