Complaint Review: Handyman Club Of America

• Submitted: Sun, August 12, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, October 31, 2012

• Reported By:Oakland city Indiana
Handyman Club Of America
12301 Whitewater Drive Minnetonka, Minnesota U.S.A.

Handyman Club Of America No tools No cancellation ripoff Minnetonka Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: handy man club is a scam

*Consumer Comment: Contact via member services not so effective...

*Consumer Suggestion: No problems with HCA

*Consumer Comment: Absolutely correct statements on Handyman club of America.

*Consumer Comment: Pay $12 per year to receive less than $10 worth of "free" stuff

I accepted Handyman's free tool offer. I told my wife that if Handyman sent the tools I would join.
The date that Handyman promised I would receive the free tools went by with no tools received.

A week later I received an invoice stating that the free 7 in 1 multi tool/flashlight and 4 in 1 tape measure would be shipped when my dues payment was received.
I wrote "Cancel" on the invoice and mailed to Handyman.
Yesterday, I received a 2nd. invoice for the two year dues of $24.00 ?

The above mentioned free tools were originally offered prior to joining the club. I have kept copies of all the literature from Handyman.

It isn't the $24.00, it's the deceptive advertisement that is upsetting me.

I have written "2nd. cancellation" on the front of the latest invoice and will waste another stamp to return it to Handyman with a note explaining that I have posted this on "RipoffReport.com. This may prompt the company to change their advertising.

Ken
Oakland city, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/12/2007 06:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Handyman-Club-Of-America/Minnetonka-Minnesota-55343/Handyman-Club-Of-America-No-tools-No-cancellation-ripoff-Minnetonka-Minnesota-266918. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Handyman Club Of America

handy man club is a scam

AUTHOR: JamieKlein - (United States of America)

I decided to sign my husband up for the magazines from handy man club because he is a maintenance man/mechanic, and the price seemed fair .Then out of nowhere there wasa charge for 36.00. Which over drew my bank account.I called customer disservice and was hung up on numerous times before I finally got someone to refund the fees and close my account.my advice is just be persistent!This company is a total scam beware!!

Contact via member services not so effective...

AUTHOR: S.G. Rogers - (United States of America)

I have tried to contact this company via snail mail, e-mail, and telephone and never have had any luck getting an answer or response from them.  I believe it is simply the fact that they will not respond to cancellations!!!

#3 Consumer Suggestion

No problems with HCA

AUTHOR: Expatinasia - (U.S.A.)

I have been a life member of the Handyman Club of America for 9 years, and never had any problems. I received my free tools when I signed on, and have received tools to test. I just changed my mailing address, and their website is active. If you want to solve the problem, as compared to simply complaining, you should send an email to:

memberservices @ handymanclub.com

I had problems sending emails via the website but, when I sent them through regular email, I got a response within 12 hours.

Absolutely correct statements on Handyman club of America.

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

The initial literature leads you to believe that they do tool testing for manufacturers, etc. It is spelled out like a product test program.

The second part of the scam is the "lifetime membership" where they refund your $12/$24, and then you pay them like $20+/month for like 2 years!

A total scam.

And don't even think about taking a book offer from them. The first one they send you is postage paid both ways, with a return label, etc. And if you choose to buy it, it is only $10. OK. A good deal, right? NOT! You buy this book and agree to a subscription to preview books, but now they are like $29 AND you pay the postage to send back the ones you don't want. Even with media mail, it is like $3 to send back, and a stand in line at the post office. No thanks.

Again, bait and switch.

I thought about returning it via flat rate priority mail to avoid the trip to the line at the post office, but it wont fit in the flat rate envelope. Convenient. They make it hard to send back so you just break down and buy it. Not.

AUTHOR: Css Hater - (U.S.A.)

I received a similar mailing. It asked if I would mind if they sent me free tools. It also said how many dollars worth of tools they had distributed and how many members had received tools. According to their figures, less than $10 in tools were distributed per member who received tools. I did not respond to them, but I will tell you my answer to their question: I would mind if I had to pay a $12 per year membership fee to receive less than $10 of "free" tools.

Anyone who disagrees should send me $12 in cash with a self-addressed, stamped envelope. I will be happy to return your envelope with less than $10 in it.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC