Complaint Review: Hertz Car Rental

• Updated: Fri, October 11, 2013

• Reported By: Dave — San Diego California
Hertz Car Rental
5555 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad, California USA

Hertz Car Rental Deceptive add-on charges for unnecessary insurance Carlsbad California

*Consumer Comment: Same thing happened to me

This is another report of a Hertz employee agreeing to waive extra insurance for a rental car, and then instructing the customer to initial small print that, in fact, authorizes Hertz to add over $30 per day to the rental cost. This extra cost is NOT covered by car insurance, whether it be by the accident victim's insurance or the responsible party's insurance.

Important note: The fact that english is a second language for my wife allowed Hertz to literally trick her into initialling an agreement that was contrary to her stated wishes.

My wife clearly explained to the Hertz employee that she DID NOT WANT OR NEED EXTRA INSURANCE. She or I have rented cars, numerous times and ALWAYS waive the extra insurance. The Hertz employee instructed her to initial what he explained to be a waiver statement, when in fact, it was a statement authorizing this charge. My attempts to resolve this matter by phone proved fruitless, as the manager of this store refused to returm my calls.

Our credit union attempted to retreive the money from Hertz. However, after Hertz sent a copy of the fine print with my wife's initials written over text, our credit union had to back down from the attempt. This appears to be a scam that is not representative of just one Hertz facility. We lost over $300 because of the deception that is openly allowed by Hertz management.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/11/2013 10:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hertz-Car-Rental/Carlsbad-California-92008/Hertz-Car-Rental-Deceptive-add-on-charges-for-unnecessary-insurance-Carlsbad-California-1091220. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hertz Car Rental

Same thing happened to me

AUTHOR: Brett T. - ()

The exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago in Texas.  I told the guy at the Hertz counter that another person's insurance was taking care of the whole thing, and that I only wanted what her insurance would pay for.  A few signatures later, and I've agreed to the loss damage waiver that adds on an extra $21/day.  Cost me almost $400.  Getting lawyers involved.