Complaint Review: Hertz

• Updated: Thu, April 17, 2014

• Reported By: hguzman — New Jersey
1772 Rt 9 Toms River, New Jersey USA

Hertz Car Renters BEWARE!!! Toms River New Jersey

I was in a car accident and the other drivers insurance company provided a rental through Hertz in Toms River, NJ because my car was in the shop for repairs. On the morning of 4/2/14 I stopped at a local gas station (one block away from Hertz) and topped off the gas tank paying cash. I went and returned the car. The Hertz rep inspected the vehicle, recorded mileage, etc. He said everything was in order and marked my receipt as returned on 4/2. The rep then drove me to the auto body shop (2 miles away) and continually said for me to remember to use Hertz in the future, etc.

Now a week later I see a charge for $34.97 on my bank card. So, I call the Hertz office and speak with the branch manager Melissa. Who then proceeds to tell me that if I can't prove I brought the car back with a full tank of gas and having a receipt then they will not refund my money. I tried to reason with her by asking why would I let them charge me $35 for half of a tank when $45 would fill the entire tank. So, because of someone not doing their job and entering the information correctly and me not asking the gas station for a receipt while paying cash; Hertz believes they can screw you.

I then called Hertz Corp office and the rep Ashley says "I would be upset too if someone messed with my money but our policy is to go by the local sites notes in the system". Not a courtesy, not a "we can work this out", NOTHING!

I have since filed a chargeback with my bank. However, this is ridiculous that their reps are so callous and don't give a d**n about customers. Who cares if you return because they will just screw the next guy out of money anyway!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/17/2014 10:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hertz/Toms-River-New-Jersey-08755/Hertz-Car-Renters-BEWARE-Toms-River-New-Jersey-1139637. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hertz