Complaint Review: Hi-Desert Horses

• Reported By: Kitty — El Sobrante California
Hi-Desert Horses
Lancaster, California USA

Hi-Desert Horses Courtney Castillo Dishonest Horse Trader! Lancaster California

*Author of original report: your helpful response

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: So many lies, where to start! And guess what, you got caught trying to flip him for profit, shame on YOU!

*Consumer Comment: Your fault

We made the mistake of buying a horse from this outfit who uses Craigslist and BAEN to advertise (offering deep discounts on shipping to lure buyers--we were naively suckered in).  The horse we received WAS NOT as described behaviorally--not by a long shot (she promised many things & up and down that he was exactly what we were looking for), and further he is seriously medically compromised, stepping off the trailer with a bad cough, snotty nose and what appeared to be warts on his ear (UNdisclosed!) only later to learn that he has a predisposition for laminitis (so cannot be on pasture as she claimed), but worse.... drumroll please...he has not one but TWO types of cancers!  The "warts" are confirmed to be a type of skin cancer and he has a fist sized melanoma under his tail!  Not good news in a bay horse. She was totally misleading, tried to distract me from my questions/concerns with confusing and irrelevant anecdotes, changed her story and negotiation strategy multiple times, and in the end was unwilling to take responsibility for the flawed animal she misrepresented or the multiple failures of disclosure. She quickly reversed her attitude from friendly and accommodating to downright nasty and hostile.  We bought horses long distance in the past and have had really good experiences, so were less cautious this time around.  Learn from our mistake.  I mistakenly trusted Courtney Castillo.  BUYERS BEWARE!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/07/2014 07:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hi-Desert-Horses/Lancaster-California-93535/Hi-Desert-Horses-Courtney-Castillo-Dishonest-Horse-Trader-Lancaster-California-1144904. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hi-Desert Horses

your helpful response

AUTHOR: Kitty - ()

Beautiful, you made my argument for me--and much better than I could have ever captured myself!  I'll leave it up to the wisdom of any potential consumer reading this to judge for themselves our respective credibility, degree of defensiveness, presence of hostility and willingness to be held accountable.  Your unprofessionalisim, name calling, and fictional characterization of my motivations are not evidence-based and would not stand up in a court of law.   Wow, your strategy in managing conflict with customers and business parctices as demonstrated here speaks volumes, and in my view will only strengthen my credibility. Bravo!

#2 REBUTTAL Individual responds

AUTHOR: cahorse - ()

This horse was owned by a border. You were aware of this. I was helping her sell him. She wanted a forever home for this great guy, which you promised you'd provide. You said he was for your husband and that you'd keep him at your home horse property. You were also told he had a wart-like bump at the tip of his ear. You were offered a pre-purchase exam and you declined.

And pre-disposed for laminitis!?!?!? OMG, this is almost too stupid to respond to! Because she told me she lived on 10 acres of grass pasture, I told her to PLEASE limit his time on grass for the first few weeks because horses can founder if thrown out on pasture 24/7 when they not used to it!

THREE MONTHS after he arrived, I receive a call from you TRAINER. She went on and on about what a great horse he was, how easy to ride, how dead broke. I was confused why though he was with a trainer and being boarded by a boarding facility. This is not what I was told was the type of home he was going to. THe trainer told me that he was purcahsed for re-sale! I didn't hold any blame to the trainer, she was just doing her job.

The reason for her call to me was to actually defend herself against the buyer. The horse had just undergone a pre-purcahse vet cehck for the new buyer (of course the new sale price was more than the paid my boarder for her horse, like I said, this lady had lied to me and was in it only for the profit). Anyway, there was a lump found high up under his tail. The trainer was adiment that she had not seen it in the several months he'd been in her barn. And that during normal every day grooming and bathing it was impossible to see. Only during the pre-purcahse exam by their new buyer had the vet noticed it. I agreed! THis horse had been at my barn for a much longer time and neither his owner (my border) or myself had ever seen it, not even during bathing.

Because her money making ploy on the re-sale of this horse had now been slammed, she was pissed. Blaming her trainer, blaming me, blaming his old owner. My calls stopped being answered and I never did find out what she ended up doing with this awesome horse.

She was so angry that she didn't make her profit that she had set out to make, she took to the internet to slam me. I've ridden and owned horses all my life. Now because of this site, anything can be said about anyone, no matter how untrue, just to try and cause problems for someone.

It is not my fault he had a lump that went undetected under his tail. It was not his owner's fault. It was not this new owner's trainer's fault. Just because you didn't profit from his purchase and re-sale doesn't give you the right to take to the internet and spew lies in order to hurt people!

Your fault

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

You bought a horse without seeing the horse first or even riding the horse.  You are responsible to have the horse vet checked and ride/see the horse before buying so you are the responsible one for this transaction. Any good horse person never buys a horse site unseen.