Complaint Review: Highland Development, Duchesne Land , 4Joe And Joan Steed

• Submitted: Tue, March 11, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, August 13, 2012

• Reported By:Hesperia California
Highland Development, Duchesne Land , 4Joe And Joan Steed
P.O. Box 358, Duchesne, Utah U.S.A.

Highland Development, Joe And Joan Steed, Duchesne Land , 4Joe And Joan Steed Mini-ranch SCAM, no county water, no county roads as promised, NOW association dues! Duchesne Utah

*Consumer Comment: Happy owner

*Consumer Comment: Satisfied Mini Ranch Owner

*Consumer Comment: Owner in UMR

*Consumer Suggestion: Duchesne County and local newspaper has much information for FEDS to review

3 years ago, my wife and I saw ad in LA Times: Utah's best kept secret, Duchesne, Mini-Ranches. We drove up there and got a tour. It sounded good. We put down $725 and paid another $725 and continued paying $300 per month for 36 months. NOW, we find out: No "county" water as promised. Joe and Joan Steed "own" the water district (private). No "county" road grading as promised. Now, after investing $13,000 of our hard earned money (I mean we scrimped and saved and sacrificed to make our payments.) we find. Association dues!! For a ranch?
All 3 things promised us were lies = fraud ab initio = contract null and void. We demanded ALL our money back.
Duchesne Mini-ranches do not return phone calls nor letters (7 sent so far.)

I've got the State and FED. authorities looking into this interstate rip-off.
P.S. We learned via state investigators a man paid off his property and wants to build: Guess what? #1 no water available for his lot and #2 he gets put "on a waiting list to build" -- he is number 34 and that was two years ago!?!

RIP OFF scam consumer's nightmare.
Somebody needs to get fined, somebody needs to go to jail. I told the FEDS to hurry before these jokers flee the state or file Bankruptcy.

Captain Dan
Hesperia, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/11/2008 09:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Highland-Development-Duchesne-Land-4Joe-And-Joan-Steed/Duchesne-Utah-84021/Highland-Development-Joe-And-Joan-Steed-Duchesne-Land-4Joe-And-Joan-Steed-Mini-ranch-S-316795. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Highland Development, Duchesne Land , 4Joe And Joan Steed

Happy owner

AUTHOR: rdp - (United States of America)

My introduction to Mini Ranches was unique. I was actually introduced to the mini ranches by a good friend of mine.  He kept telling me that I had to see the properties and the views.  I finally wentout to see the opportunity. He introduced me to the owners who were helpful and courteous throughout the purchasing process. We have been very happy with the service of the Mini Ranches. Every time we've had a question or concern it was handled quickly and to our satisfaction. We love the cabin and so does are family.  Our cabin purchase was a smooth transaction. We are loving our familys secret getaway.

Satisfied Mini Ranch Owner

AUTHOR: Anne Johnson, Realtor - (U.S.A.)

I am a real estate agent in the State of Utah and currently own a cabin in the mini ranches plus another 2.5 acres to build on in the future. We purchased a 2200+ square foot cabin wih 4 bedrooms, 2 baths on 5 acres as a second home and we love it and it was a great deal. We have owned this cabin for over 2 years and have gotten to know many people out here. We were just out at a camp fire last night with four other owners from here. The county road was just paved and the other roads are taken care of by the developer. We have not had any problem with water either. Like anywhere...there are many people that are not happy no matter what is done. I am not saying I know first hand about any dealings in the past...I just know that we love it out here and it is really coming together as more and more cabins are being completed.

Owner in UMR

AUTHOR: Jennergee - (U.S.A.)

I bought in the Mini-Ranches in 2002 and waited to start building until 2005. I was never told that the water was from the county; I was told that the developers built the water system and I'm glad to have it. As the development grows to include the DMR, the water system is being upgraded to service the increase in users. I was also told that the developer graded and cut the new roads in the development. There is a county road also, but the HOA will be responsible for maintaining the roads once the developer is done with the majority of the consturction. That's the reason behind the HOA dues. As for construction, there are factors that affect the timeline, namely 1) weather and 2) man power.
Unlike So Cal where construction can be done nearly year round, we have true winters here, so not too many starts are done when the ground is frozen. And this winter we had a record amount of snow. But workers were on sites nearly every day working on interior jobs. And, due to the tremendous growth in the energy field, many workers start with the developer and soon find out they can make more in the oil fields. So the shortage of manpower has caused delays in construction. However, you may also contract with an outside builder.
I'm sorry your experience was not the best, but I'm very happy with my cabin and the growth in the development is astonishing.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Duchesne County and local newspaper has much information for FEDS to review

AUTHOR: Miniranch Victim - (U.S.A.)

Do contact the FEDS, be sure to advise them to check in MISS and TN for similar activity by Joe and Joan. TN even has a new law "Steed Realty v. Oveisi, 823 S.W.2d 195, 200-201 (Tenn. Ct. App. 1991) (finding Promissory Fraud )" because they didn't do what they said/sold. They recently bought property in MT to move on and do the same thing in yet another state. They claim to have alot of money so most people will not speak up under threat of lawsuits, something most victims can't afford.