Complaint Review: Home Warranty of America

• Updated: Fri, June 14, 2013

• Reported By: EMichelle1969 — Atlanta Georgia
Home Warranty of America
Home Warranty of America Lincolnshire Lincolnshire, Illinois USA

Home Warranty of America They Do NOT Honor their Warranty, did not repair my dishwasher. Lincolnshire Illinois

I purchased my home in August of 2012.  I am a Realtor and decided since I promote this product and had been promoting this product for the last 5 years, I would be honored to use their warranty service.  After I had my home inspected by a licensed, certified, and bonded home inspection company, I purchased my home and the warranty in the hopes of not needing it.

However, trouble struck and the dishwasher that had been working for several weeks began not  working within 30 days of me moving in.  I called the warranty company for a repair call.  A man comes out and he looks under my sink says it is clogged and then says it will be $85 on top off the service charge $65.  So I asked him a few questions because it did not seem like he looked at anything to make a true diagnosis.  In fact, he took all of about 10 seconds to make his diagnosis.

He then proceeded to argue with me and my boyfriend and asked if "we knew what we were doing, then why did we call him".  I then called HWA to complain about his service and they stated they the would have to go with his diagnosis of a clog and could not assist me because this would be considered Normal Wear and Tear.

One, this home is only 4 years old and the home has been empty for 2 of the 4 years, so at best it has been used 2 years.   Two, I find it hard to believe that the dishwasher had gone that bad and besides it worked fine when it was inspected.

They would do nothing for me but refund my money for 11 of the 13 month policy.  I did get a repairman to come out and look at the dishwasher.  He found the trouble; what the problem was that I had a contractor come in and replace the garbage disposal, he did not remove some sort of cap that connects to the flow (pipe) of the dishwasher.  He removed the cap, handed it to me and charged me $85 for the service call.  He stated that the dishwasher was almost BRAND NEW and that to replace it would cost more than $500.00.  (It has a stainless steel inside and a gazillion settings, etc.)  He even said, clearly it was not a clog, the dark area that looked like one could be cleaned by running the dishwasher with some lemon juice and or ammonia and he shined a flashlight on it and showed me that you could see the water flowing through it.  (Which is what my boyfriend pointed out to the warranty repairman, before he got offended, and walked out of my house.)

I thanked him for his service and helpful hints and decided that day, that I would not sell to any of my clients that policy again because they could easily use the "normal wear and tear" excuse and get out of paying everything.

I suggest that new home buyers put aside $50 each month for 12 months and save the money in buying a warranty.  Besides after 12 months, you have to repurchase it again for another 12 months and so on...  you could have saved enough money to replace inoperable appliance and not have strangers coming to your house misdiagnosing problems any way....

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/14/2013 10:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Home-Warranty-of-America/Lincolnshire-Illinois-60069/Home-Warranty-of-America-They-Do-NOT-Honor-their-Warranty-did-not-repair-my-dishwasher-1059160. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Home Warranty of America