Complaint Review: Hot Ride Motors - Ebay

• Updated: Sat, January 23, 2010

• Reported By: Jeanine — Williamstown New Jersey United States of America
Hot Ride Motors - Ebay
1241 E Venango Street Philadelphia, Pennsylvania United States of America

Hot Ride Motors - Ebay L.A.R.S. Group misleading advertisement, lied to about car quality via e-bay e-mail, car will require over 2000 in repairs just to pass inspection, radio stolen by dealers Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

*Author of original report: response to rebuttal

*Consumer Comment: buyer beware

Last month, I bought a car on e-bay from Hot Ride Motors, disguising themselves as L.A.R.S. Group and "Bob."  Although I did not have time to order a professional estimate or to inspect the car in person, I messaged the seller through e-bay to inquire about the condition of the car, a 1982 Mercedes Diesel.  The seller informed me via e-bay e-mail that the car was in good condition and had no repairs that would be required any time soon.  The car's history was one of "no damage report," "no accident report," so forth.  So, I placed the winning bid on the car--as time revealed, more of a loss than a win; and as directed, I sent a quickly cashed check within a few days of winning the auction.
Before picking up the car, I requested a receipt from the seller.  The receipt read that the car was not roadworthy, contrary to my anticipations from previous correspondence. [continued below]....
.....  I called the seller's agent, Frank Irizarry (I believe), and he insisted that the car was in fact roadworthy and that the receipt meant nothing-- it was a form receipt, which would be re-written when I arrived to pick up the car.

Nevertheless, in person, at pick-up time, Frank refused to re-write the forms; but, still, he insisted that these forms and my signature on them would mean nothing. In actuality, the forms were totally accurate-- the car was not roadworthy.  And, my signature on the forms gave him legal validation for selling me an overpriced junker, which, I suppose, is the perfect scam.

The e-bay advertising was obviously purposefully manipulated.  Holes in the seat were cropped from the pictures of the seat.  The radio was pictured and then removed before pick up.  The windshield was cracked.  The paint job was poor.

In addition to aesthetic issues, an import car repair specialist gave me a pricing estimate of $2500 in order for the car to pass inspection.  The repairs needed include:windshield, front door tint removal, wiper blades, tail pipe broken rear muffler welded on, water pump leaking, brake pedal fade, engine vibrates a lot/ engine mounts, L.S. top ball joint, third stop light out, L.S. head light, R.F. tire wrong size, need new battery (the company had supposedly just put in a new battery).

Car item number: 110465734979

I think that you can just copy this number into the search section of e-bay to view the advertisement for the car that I bought.  The seller goes by bibflybob on ebay, also perhaps davidsatir?  Not sure about the second one, but the reports of missing radio, so forth are similar.

The seller uses the addresses 1241 E Venango St Philadelphia 19134 (pick up address) and 710 S Smedley Street Philadelphia 19146 (e-bay listing address).

Lesson learned, don't by a car sight unseen on e-bay. And, I'd advise anyone considering doing business with Hot Ride Motors, under any alias, to turn elsewhere; but then again, who knows? Sometimes, you get lucky.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/14/2010 10:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hot-Ride-Motors-Ebay/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19134/Hot-Ride-Motors-Ebay-LARS-Group-misleading-advertisement-lied-to-about-car-quality-554835. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hot Ride Motors - Ebay

response to rebuttal

AUTHOR: Jeanine - (United States of America)

You signed that the car was not roadworthy--why would someone repeat, without productive elaboration, that which I wrote in my report?  Now to explain in my terms.  I signed that the car was not roadworthy after having already sent payment to the seller.  The payment check had already been cashed.  So, now I should RETURN the check?  In addition, reasoning that my action of signing that "the car was not roadworthy" was guided by my stupidity is unsupported.  I was "stupid"--as cliche and meaningless a word as this may be--in having bid for a car sight unseen from e-bay.  I was "stupid" in having sent the check to the seller without having viewed the car first.  I was not "stupid" in having signed that the "car was not roadworthy" while I was at the dealership to pick up my car.  I felt that I had been left without a choice, as my money had already fallen into the hands of a professional scammer.  Perhaps, this is called a lack of gumption, an incapability of forcefully speaking one's mind in person to person interactions.

I am sure that, if I had immediately walked out of the dealership and called a lawyer, I would now have my money returned in full, which is why scam artists are rarely able to stay in business.  Alternatively, the world must simply be full of extremely non-confrontational people.

You are legally correct that I agreed that the car was not roadworthy.  I signed a legal document that the car was not roadworthy.  The seller, through a legal document, agreed that the car was roadworthy.  The seller agreed before I bid on the car.  The seller agreed before I sent the check for payment.  The seller proved that he had extricated money from me through false advertisement, through a scam, for isn't that how a scam works?  Are you a scam artist?

buyer beware

AUTHOR: Daniel - (U.S.A.)

You signed on the line that was dotted that said you were buying a non road-worthy vehicle.

Was the car inspected when you picked it up? PA does not require cars to be inspected for sales however if it has/had current inspection I would follow up with the inspection garage that previously inspected it to see what shape the car was in. The PA DOT should be able to refer you to the inspection garage if you can provide them with information from the stickers, assuming this is a car previously registered in Pennsylvania.

I would normally tell you simply to return your check however you agreed that the car wasn't road-worthy. Stupidity isn't a defense for getting your money back.

Pennsylvania does have a lemon law however you weren't sold a 'lemon' you were sold a non road-worthy car that you agreed to.

What state are you trying to get it inspected in now?

aesthetic