Complaint Review: http://members.mediablk.com

• Updated: Mon, August 26, 2013

• Reported By: John — Lincoln Nebraska
, Select State/Province USA

Mediablk.com Not quite fraud, but tricky Internet

Mediablk.com offers a free service to provide books, movies, games and comic books. As you sign up, it assures you it only wants your credit card to establish country of origin via a via copyright issues. Since it was as pop-up from a trusted site (Goodreads), I thought, well okay. While they weren't fraudulent, they are very tricky, and I will relate a few ways. Bottom line, they are trying to rip you off.

After the credit card question, there is a big green button saying "Press here for your 5 day free trial" What is not made clear, is that it is the five days free trial of the free membership they baited yoy with on the previous screens, but their premium membership. The regular membership is down beloiw in smaller print. The premium membership is $34.95 a month. Wow, okay, super high for a content site. And a quick review of available titles shows it's kinda sparse.

Okay, want to quit immediately? That'll cost you one dollar. It always costs $1 to cancel online. To cancel for free, you can call them. But that will take three days to confirm. Worried that your five day free trial might expire before those three days are up, and you'll get the $34.95 whack? Well, apparently many others are wondering why that happened to them, as that's one of their top FAQ's.

Other top FAQ's include, I signed up for a free membership, why was I billed $34.95? (Because we tricked you, that's why.) The second FAQ is, Why was I billed $34.95 when I signed up for the $2.95 trial of the premium membership? (Because blah blah blah.)

Even the wording on the cancellation call was tricky. When I saw one of their FAQ's was, I have the confirmation email of my casncerllation, why was I still charged? Their answer was, please send us that confirmation, and we'll investigate. At that point I cancelled my credit card and had a new one issued. Tricky wording, ambiguity, sneaky page layouts, etc. If you want to get sucked into paying way too much for a measly content offering, for a service that said it was free, and when you ask for your money back, they say they'll look into it, well, then this is for you.

I've never filed a complaint before on a company, but I couldn't find anybody talking about them on the internet, so I figured it was my job to say something.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/26/2013 08:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/httpmembersmediablkcom/Select-StateProvince/Mediablkcom-Not-quite-fraud-but-tricky-Internet-1079306. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on http://members.mediablk.com