Complaint Review: Hughes Net

• Updated: Sun, December 25, 2011

• Reported By: Jediswife — Brixey Missouri United States of America
Hughes Net
German Town, Wisconsin United States of America

Hughes Net A rip off company. Even when you buy tokens you only get 1/2 restrictions lifted. German Town, Wisconsin Internet

*Consumer Comment: Sorry you had to deal with this company...

Hughesnet is  a satellite company who sells internet time to people in the suburbs where there is no other internet available, People like me. I have been with Hughes net for almost a year now and I think I have been on the phone with them, more than I have been on the internet.

When I first got the system it was we will install for free, then they get here and say we do not put satellites on the roof. You have to pay $200.00 for us to insert a pole with cement into the ground for your satellite. Excuse me?  Well we did because I had no choice. I needed internet for school.

Every time there is a problem, like allowance exceeded, pages not loading, or service not available you have to call them. You get a different person every time. Most of these people you cannot even understand. Average time on phone is 30-40 min. per session. I am mostly on the phone about the download allowance. It has been worse lately, the previous times.

I average $50.00 extra per month purchasing tokens. This does not include the 1 free token you are supposed to get each month, that I do not receive. This is also above and beyond the $100.00 a month I pay for the service. When using the "tokens" in the last three months I have only been set to 1/2 the download service instead of the full service I pay for. I get on the phone, they tell me that I downloaded 1 1/2 times the amount allowed the day before, therefore I only get 1/2 allowance restored. This is ridiculous.

In the last two days I have downloaded Nothing. I have had to use 3 tokens which are $25.00 for 3 to restore my service to 1/2. I do the same thing that I have done for almost a year and now all the sudden I am over the limit at least one time a day. I think that hugesnet is a rip off, I think their "FAP" is also a sham. I call and ask how it is I have gone over my limit when I have done nothing and they tell me that the "24" hours does not go every 24 hours it starts when you get on your computer and start doing things. So even if I am off line for two days and get on line and start reading e-mails and such, I go over the limit. To me 24 hours is 24 hours. It should not start when ever you get on line and start doing things.

They lie, they tell you anything they can to get you to pay extra and because they know you cannot understand them you will not argue. I have gotten so upset with their lies that I have actually thought about throwing my phone across the room. How is it that every other service out there has unlimited down load except them? I will be so thrilled when we can get another service out here because my contract is up with them and I sooo will be glad to be rid of them.

It is totally wrong that a company can do this to people because they know we have no choice. I think there needs to be a class action law suit against these people.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/25/2011 07:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hughes-Net/German-Town-Wisconsin-/Hughes-Net-A-rip-off-company-Even-when-you-buy-tokens-you-only-get-12-restrictions-lift-813747. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hughes Net

Sorry you had to deal with this company...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

I discovered from reading many ROR's on Hughes Net that there doesn't appear to be any "free standard installation."

It's also apparent that they've so seriously over-subscribed their service that they have to frequently impose the "FAP" (Fair Access Plan).  Loosely translated, this means when you use the speed you paid for

it's not time at all until "FAP" kicks in and you're throttled back to about dial-up speed for at least 24 hours.

Their customer service can so little to help you and they know it.  I wouldn't want their job.

It's VERY expensive when you take into account you rarely get to use your contracted speed and then have to purchase "tokens" to try to regain some of what you already paid for and can't get.

Be SURE to read your contract with them to make certain you cancel within any time windows they specify or it's possible you'll be automatically renewed and locked in for another year.  I haven't read their contract, but this seems to be a standard ploy with many companies now.