- Report: #1103745
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Identity Guard
Identity GuardChantilly, Virginia USA
Identity Guard a branded name of Intersections Inc. Wrongful solicitat'n Internet
*Consumer Comment: Why are you so angry?
*Author of original report: Identity Guard refunded my $ in reasonable time
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
Deceptive / misleading solicitaion or lack of appropriately visible disclosures is remarkably bad conduct for a company that expects you to hand over keys to your sensitive financial information. Bad, bad business practice reflects badly on it for what will be a net loss to it or marginal gains on the back of bad ethics. It sets a seriously bad tone for trust and crediibility going forward. A reasonable consumer would not let this slip by and would run to its competition, possibly publishing the dirty laundry or spreading detrimental words. Financially upper end consumers know how to muddy its water all the worse.
On Nov 29 I received email from Identity Guard (branded name for Intersections Inc.) soliciting me to subscribe to its identity protection service.
(1) It claims a 50% discount from a retail value of $ 24 with a sign up that day Friday. I go to its web site and see its subscription is $ 19 for the same level of service, not $ 24. Is "retail value" a parsing of words with expectation that the consumer would believe it is the company's regular price ? Ethical companies would cite a discount off their "regular price."
(2) I subscribed that evening after 9 pm west coast time. I learned, however after submitting my payment, that I did not get the 50% discount. I called the next business day and was told my submission had to be in by the end of the day I submitted it EAST COAST TIME. In small font at the email's bottom of page of the solicitation I received, I could squeeze out the discount solicitation range fo days from Friday thru Monday with scaled down discounts along the way thru a start of the day Friday and end of the day Monday east coast time. In other words, I was supposed to know that my Friday evening was its Saturday morning (which lowered my discount benefit). A few dollars per month difference for a year (over $ 20) times 10 possible years to be s subscriber makes over $ 200 difference I would get hit with.
(3) Included in this subscription package is anti-keylogging software to encrypt my keystrokes from being read by the bad guys. It is what sets this company apart from its notable competitors. I found after I subscribed and talked with a company's tech person, it does not work with what is one of the most popular browers out there, Mozilla's Firefox. There is no disclosure of this in the solicitation.
In each case I described, I talked to a representative from the company. In spite of the reps being courteous, it always ended the same way. "Sorry." Which is the way my relationship ends: Sorry, I want my money back or contest it with my bank's credit card." My recommendation to consumers: pay attention to remarks made about this company.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/02/2013 05:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Identity-Guard/Chantilly-Virginia-20153-2455/Identity-Guard-a-branded-name-of-Intersections-Inc-Wrongful-solicitatn-Internet-1103745. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.