Complaint Review: Identity Guard

• Updated: Mon, December 02, 2013

• Reported By: Deucy — lakewood Washington
Identity Guard
Chantilly, Virginia USA

Identity Guard a branded name of Intersections Inc. Wrongful solicitat'n Internet

*Consumer Comment: Why are you so angry?

*Author of original report: Identity Guard refunded my $ in reasonable time

Deceptive / misleading solicitaion or lack of appropriately visible disclosures is remarkably bad conduct for a company that expects you to hand over keys to your sensitive financial information.  Bad, bad business practice reflects badly on it for what will be a net loss to it or marginal gains on the back of bad ethics.  It sets a seriously bad tone for trust and crediibility going forward.  A reasonable consumer would not let this slip by and would run to its competition, possibly publishing the dirty laundry or spreading detrimental words.  Financially upper end consumers know how to muddy its water all the worse.

On Nov 29 I received email from Identity Guard (branded name for Intersections Inc.) soliciting me to subscribe to its identity protection service.

(1)  It claims a 50% discount from a retail value of $ 24 with a sign up that day Friday. I go to its web site and see its subscription is $ 19 for the same level of service, not $ 24.  Is "retail value" a parsing of words with expectation that the consumer would believe it is the company's regular price ?  Ethical companies would cite a discount off their "regular price."

(2)  I subscribed that evening after 9 pm west coast time.  I learned, however after submitting my payment, that I did not get the 50% discount.  I called the next business day and was told my submission had to be in by the end of the day I submitted it EAST COAST TIME.  In small font at the email's bottom of page of the solicitation I received, I could squeeze out the discount solicitation range fo days from Friday thru Monday with scaled down discounts along the way thru a start of the day Friday and end of the day Monday east coast time. In other words, I was supposed to know that my Friday evening was its Saturday morning (which lowered my discount benefit).  A few dollars per month difference for a year (over $ 20) times 10 possible years to be s subscriber makes over $ 200 difference I would get hit with.

(3)  Included in this subscription package is anti-keylogging software to encrypt my keystrokes from being read by the bad guys. It is what sets this company apart from its notable competitors. I found after I subscribed and talked with a company's tech person, it does not work with what is one of the most popular browers out there, Mozilla's Firefox.  There is no disclosure of this in the solicitation.

In each case I described, I talked to a representative from the company.  In spite of the reps being courteous, it always ended the same way.  "Sorry."  Which is the way my relationship ends:  Sorry, I want my money back or contest it with my bank's credit card."  My recommendation to consumers: pay attention to remarks made about this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/02/2013 05:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Identity-Guard/Chantilly-Virginia-20153-2455/Identity-Guard-a-branded-name-of-Intersections-Inc-Wrongful-solicitatn-Internet-1103745. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Identity Guard

Why are you so angry?

AUTHOR: Anamaria87 - ()

I feel a lot of hubris in the room here. It almost seems impossible for someone to have that much anger over such a thing. I get the ID Guard through the cable company, Comcast, and I have never had any trouble being heard when I have had the questions about service. The Identity Guard is one of the best investments I have ever made.

Identity Guard refunded my $ in reasonable time

AUTHOR: Deucy - ()

I wrote the original report.  I want to "update," not rebutt, but this is the template I got.

UPDATE:  Quickly after discovering in my opinion the three unacceptable issues of Identity Guard's promotional statements soliciting me to be a customer, I MAILED a letter to the corporate address outlining my discoveries and dissatisfaction.  I stated I wanted my money back; I was only in my first month of service.

Not getting a return correspondence snail mail or email two weeks after my mailing, I called the customer service number to at least state I wanted no further service past the first month.  I was advised by the courteous rep that a credit for the first month for an amount I had paid had just been credited back to my credit card.  I then checked my credit card account to confirm that was the case.

I want to emphasize, especially with me having been a previous customer, I am not aware of any inadequacies with its service.  It's reps are always courteous.  One just has to ask if he is not getting a good shake by representaitions of the service in its promotions, is one willing to continue to give their money to that company ?