My husband, 2 yr old daughter and I visited the Waldorf, MD IHOP location on 12/9/11. My husband ordered a pancake platter, my daughter had the kids' french toast, and I ordered the Big Steak Omelet. I always order this omelet without fail - No hashbrowns inside, on the side; English Muffin instead of pancakes; sour cream on the side. We checked out at 11:51AM. Around 6PM I began to have discomfort in my stomach accompanied by belching that smelled like rotten eggs.
This went on for a few hours, I could not take any medicine for this feeling as I was 39 week pregnant. I didn't have any other food for dinner/snack because I knew it probably would be coming back up. This is the only meal I had all day. Around 1AM 12/10/11, I began to feel the need to vomit. I was running, as fast as I could considering my condition, to the rest room ever 30 - 45 minutes, vomiting, belching and having severe diarrhea (all at the same time) for the next few hours.
Once I had pretty much evacuated my system of any foods and liquids, I was able to go to the ER at Southern Maryland Hospital Center. There I was given IV fluids and an anti-nausea shot. The physical stress did not affect my child who was born 5 days later. My husband and daughter did not have any signs of illness. I had no further incident once I was discharged from the ER. I drank clear fluids and ate toast & crackers for the remainder of the day. When I spoke to a manager at IHOP, he brushed me off stating "We cook a lot of eggs and a lot of those omelets so I don't think you got food poisoning from us.
I'll take your information anyway, but you didn't get it from us." All it takes is one bad egg or egg product or other food item, a contaminated utensil, or dirty hands to get sick. As I stated before, I eat this particular omelet all the time, my husband doesn't even bother asking what I want when we go to IHOP, he knows it is always the same thing. We have eaten at this location a handful of times over the past 2 years with no incident. The insurance company has ruled that they cannot find reason for this poisoning and stated that I did not get it from this or any IHOP.