Complaint Review: Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance

• Submitted: Sat, August 04, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, December 21, 2009

• Reported By:Crawfordsville Indiana
Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance
100 Remley Drive Crawfordsville, Indiana U.S.A.

Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance Denied homeowner claim Crawfordsville Indiana

*Consumer Comment: They use the same stupid script

*Consumer Suggestion: There is hope

I recently had water damage to a detached garage. The face page of my Homeowner's policy says that detached garages are covered. I called my agent who said the loss was covered and to have the damage cleaned up. I did so and when the company who cleaned it filed their claim, it was denied. Why? The ijnsurance adjuster said that since I didn't park a car in the garage, it was no longer a garage and not covered. I don't know what else it could be - it has an overhead garage door and an electric garage door opener. There is nothing in this garage since I only have one car and prefer to park in my attached garage. My adult son parked his truck in the detached garage when he lived with me and for the past six years I thought I had coverage on it. I can understand some insurance companies try to get out of paying a large claim, but this was a little over $1,000 -not anywhere close to the premiums I have paid in the past 6 years.

Nancy
Crawfordsville, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/04/2007 04:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Indiana-Farm-Bureau-Insurance/Crawfordsville-Indiana-47933/Indiana-Farm-Bureau-Insurance-Denied-homeowner-claim-Crawfordsville-Indiana-265264. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance

They use the same stupid script

AUTHOR: Ripped off wife - (U.S.A.)

Boy they seem to say that to everybody. And it is so illogical and stupid too. Must be a script from the Main main office. Farm Bureau Idaho told me exactly the same thing when my garage collapsed after a brutal winter with tons of snow fall.

It was like a part time job dealing with them as my demolished garage stayed on site in dangerous situations for the eight months + that it took for them to finally fund it for a rebuild.

One helpful person was a Code Enforcement officer for our city. He got quite offended at the notion that our garage was not a garage only in the eyes of the insurance people. I used him as a reference along with many contractors whom I had come out for an estimate. EVERYBODY considered the structure to be a garage but the insurance people. (of course since it was one).

They encouraged a dangerous condition to exist on my property for almost three full seasons. I had never had a claim of any kind before on any of my insurance policies before in 35 years of home/vehicle/business insurance so I was very shocked by the bizarre, disrespectful and rude behaviors I experienced with Farm Bureau Idaho.

yet some people get a check without an adjuster even coming out-that winter took out a lot of barns, roofs, garages, chimneys and some got taken care of normally and immediately and a lot like me it took them so long to get honest and deal that a lot of my property got ruined in the wait for a garage with a roof on it.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

There is hope

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

What you found was a dishonest adjuster. Your garage is indeed covered under your policy of insurance. Apparenlty he wasn't interested in dealing with this size of a loss. Easier to blow you off then to deal with your claim.

Call Farm Bureau's home office and request a supervisor. Explain your situation and you should see results.
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC