Complaint Review: InPhonic - Verizon Wireless

• Submitted: Tue, October 09, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, June 23, 2008

• Reported By:Fleetwood Pennsylvania
InPhonic - Verizon Wireless
PO BOX 3166 Reston, Virginia U.S.A.

InPhonic - Verizon Wireless Charged $250 along with $155 early termination after recieving faulty phones Reston Virginia

*Consumer Comment: FYI

*Consumer Suggestion: VZW Phoneman is right....

*Consumer Comment: Re: Inphonic - Rip off

*Author of original report: InPhonic charged $250 to credit card and sent to collection agency

Here is the letter I sent to InPhonic and Verizon Wireless several Weeks ago. I have not heard from either of them and was told I had until Oct. 25 to pay.

To whom it may concern,

I am a former Verizon Wireless customer from March 2007 to July 2007. I signed up with Verizon through the offer from Pizza Hut where I received a free LG Chocolate phone. I am convinced that the so-called free phones were faulty or refurbished.

My first Chocolate phone did not even last 2 months when it just shut down. We took it to the Verizon store where we were told we they would send another to our address and we would then have to send the faulty phone back. So we were without service a few days. When we got our second phone, that one lasted only 2 days. Once again we had to take the phone back to the store and go through the entire hassle again. We asked if we could get a different type of phone because it seems there was a problem with the chocolates we were receiving and they refused saying that we had to have 3 faulty phones before we could switch to another type.

Within a few weeks our 3rd phone started to flash and there were times that the screen would go blank. We took it back to the store where the person said there was nothing wrong with it and would not replace it. During all this time we were never credited for any of the days we were without service or all the hassle we had to go through going to the store and sending the phones back. We finally decided to cancel the plan. We signed a 2-year agreement with Verizon and were fully aware of the early termination charge, which we did pay over $150.00.

Three days ago we received an invoice from InPhonic telling us we owed them $250 for canceling our Verizon account because we didnt have it for 181 consecutive days. We were not aware we were dealing with any other company than Verizon. We called them and they told us that Verizon should have been sent the phones back to them but we were told to send them back to Verizon, which we did. I was also told by someone by InPhonic after explaining our situation, very sarcastically, Sir, nothing is free, yet the advertisement stated that you will receive a FREE phone with new service. I think this is totally unfair considering the reason why we cancelled the plan in the first place.

I have contacted the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs and will be in contact with many more if this does not get resolved. If I was getting the service that was promised I would not have cancelled the service to begin with. Attached is the invoice I received from InPhonic. Please respond to this in a timely matter.

David
Fleetwood, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/09/2007 07:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/InPhonic-Verizon-Wireless/Reston-Virginia-20195-1166/InPhonic-Verizon-Wireless-Charged-250-along-with-155-early-termination-after-recieving-277884. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on InPhonic - Verizon Wireless

FYI

AUTHOR: Vzwfacts - (U.S.A.)

When you buy a phone from a 3rd party, Verizon Wireless is not responsible if the phone is faulty, refurbished, or damaged.

If you want a guarantee from Verizon, then purchase your phone from them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Furthermore, it is your responsiblity to read the terms and conditions. It is not a ripoff if the information was provided in advance.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

VZW Phoneman is right....

AUTHOR: M - (U.S.A.)

Unfortunately, he's VERY RIGHT. If you do NOT keep service with your Verizon phone, you ARE charged the Early Termination Fee. It costs Verizon a LOT of money to give you a "FREE" phone. That's why there is usually a TWO (2) YEAR agreement/contract attached to these "deals". Have you EVER had a cell phone before?

Also, malfunctioning phones are NOT Verizon's fault. They are the MANUFACTURER'S fault. I used to work for another wireless carrier. I *always* told people that if they had manufacturer's warranty issues to contact the MANUFACTURER, not the wireless company.

So many people forget this 1 simple FACT: ALL cellular phone companies ONLY carry the SERVICE...they do NOT manufacture/make the phones!!

Quit getting mad at your cellular/wireless carrier and get mad at the MANUFACTURER about your non-working phone!!

Quoting the original author: We signed a 2-year agreement with Verizon and were fully aware of the early termination charge, which we did pay over $150.00.

My response: If you understood the contract, then there really was NO RIP-OFF. Keep the SERVICE for 2 years to avoid the early term fee. Keep the PHONE for > 180 days to avoid the additional charge by InPhonic (who PAID for your PHONE, and NOT the service).

Re: Inphonic - Rip off

AUTHOR: Vzw Phone Man - (U.S.A.)

As an owner of a private VZW location, I can tell you that the Pizza Hut deal was a crappy promotion to sucker you folks into think your getting FREE PHONES! Nothing in this industry is free. When you disconnect service and they gave you a FREE phone that has a $200 cost to them and you don't carry on with your service - YOU GET BILLED! Until Verizon passes the termination fees to their private dealers who are CONTRACTED to do business on their behalf, this will continue to be a problem. You didn't get ripped off, you thought you could walk away with no strings attached from an expensive phone. PHONES ARE NOT CANDY. They cost dealers and the companies lots and lots of money, if you hop services, its expensive and should be considering the costs we carry to do business.

InPhonic charged $250 to credit card and sent to collection agency

AUTHOR: Daje - (U.S.A.)

After we refused to pay the $250 InPhonic charged our credit card and sent the account to SKO BRENNER collection agency. InPhonic has their money. After 10 phone calls they admit the account is paid and promised on 4 separate occasions to send me documentation saying it was paid and promised to alert their supervisor. Of course, they are all trained to be liars and I received nothing. When you ask to talk to a supervisor you get voicemail and they never call you back. InPhonic a very crooked company with a very bad reputation. Now I am being harrassed by SKO Brenner with calls 3 times a week.

DO NOT EVER DEAL WITH INPHONIC!