Complaint Review: Instant Checkmate

• Updated: Mon, January 13, 2014

• Reported By: Barbara — Renton Washington
Instant Checkmate
4330 S. Valley View Blvd. Suite 112 Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Instant Checkmate 0104Chkmate* charged me $29.68 for a year when I only requested their $1.00 one time only request. Las Vegas Nevada

In late 2012, I became alarmed because I hadn't heard from my son that was last seen in Portland, Oregon.   I contacted the Portland Police and courts trying to find my son.   I eventually went online and did an online inquiry to find out my sons last whereabouts.   The webseite that I found offered me a one time inquiry for $1.00 and I agreed to pay for that ONE TIME charge with my credit card.

I copied the information and never gave the inquiry a 2nd thought because it didn't provide me with any information that I didn't already have on hand.

Much happened over the next few months.   I.e. my mother passed away, my youngest sister became critically ill and I developed a respitory ailment that lasted 3 months.   In my error, I noticed a $29.68 charge against my account but I didn't take time out to verify what that charge was actually representing.   There never seemed to be enough time for me to seek the answer.

I was going over my bank statements today getting ready to file my income tax and saw that $29.68 charge on my account.   I began trying to figure out what that monthly charge was for and when I realized it was from that Checkmate Inquiry place, I called them immediately to request a refund of those charges.

The representative told me that the website was quite clear that I'd be charged monthly for the service.   I explained that I'd agreed to the $1.00 offer and nothing else.   He asked me to provide the dates of each charge and I asked why they didn't have those dates on their database.   I was told to contact my bank and ask for a refund.   I became angry and ended the call.

This company is a major scam and has cost me over $355.00 for services I never used nor did I realize that I was being charged for.   I never received a billing statement or any information from them for all of the time that I was being charged.

It's criminal to steal from consumers like this and I hope that they are run out of business.   They should not be allowed to continue to rip people off this way.

Please help me try to recover my money.   I am not rich and living on a fixed income.   I realize that I should have caught this earlier but unfortunately, I failed at pursuing info sooner.   I don't feel that I should be forced to eat the entire cost of the error.

Please let me know what can be done to try to recover most, if not all, of the costs that I've paid.   Thank you.

Sincerely,

Barbara Miyamura

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/13/2014 10:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Instant-Checkmate/Las-Vegas-Nevada-89103/Instant-Checkmate-0104Chkmate-charged-me-2968-for-a-year-when-I-only-requested-their--1115294. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Instant Checkmate