Complaint Review: iolo.com

• Updated: Tue, March 18, 2014

• Reported By: Larry — Frederick Colorado
iolo.com
Internet USA

iolo.com System Mechanics Faudulent System diagnostic and premium support Internet

I had been a customer of System Mechanics for a little over a year.   I had a license to cover multiple computers.  Out of the blue one day I get a call from System Mechanics and they say that they have been seeing a lot of system errors from my account.

My first thought was either this is a rip off or this is some really good customer service.  I asked a few questions in order to establish they were who they actully said they were.

First they directed me to my Event Viewer and showed me how many Schannel errors I was having, they said that these were attempts to hack my machine.  Next he took me to the Windows Task Manager and showed me a process csrss.exe which has no user name under it.  He said this was a trojan virus.

He had me google csrss.exe, the first web site, liutilities.com, in the first paragraph, states "This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer from remote locations, steal passwords, Internet banking and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.".

Some where around here he convinced me, very reluctantly to install a remote desktop assistance app so he could run my computer and show me more of the damage.

He started a cmd line window and showed me the network status they ran another command that spit out a BUNCH of file names, first in white text, then in yellow text, then in red text.   He said the yellow ones were caution and the red ones needed removed.  I asked what command he had used and he said TREE /F.

He then went on to try and sell me custom support where they would take control of my computer and "FIX" all of the issues, and then they would monitor my systems and provide continuous support for $400.

I was not ready to make a decision so I asked for his number and he said he would follow up with me.

I did some checking on my own, Schannel errors are not that uncommon and are not that critical.

csrss.exe is a windows system file, it is the Client/Server Run-Time Subsystem.  It is a required file and is run by the system which is why there was no user name for the process.   It is true that if there are multiple instances of a csrss.exe file one could be a trojan.

As for the long list of files I checked into the TREE /F, all it does is list all of the files in the current directory and subdirectories, and since we were in root, it is a lot of files.  As it was scrolling file names in white text he simply typed the command COLOR 0E to change color to yellow, retype TREE, this would cause the color to change to yellow and start the scrolling over again, it happens so fast you never see the commands.  While that is scrolling he typed COLOR 0C followed by TREE, this displays it in red.  The TREE command without the /F only list current directory.

He did call back at which time I told him all I had found and asked how he slept at night at which time he hung up on me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/18/2014 06:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/iolocom/internet/iolocom-System-Mechanics-Faudulent-System-diagnostic-and-premium-support-Internet-1131455. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on iolo.com