Complaint Review: J & M Imports

• Updated: Sat, August 17, 2013

• Reported By: Lonnie — Phoenix Arizona
J & M Imports
9814 N. Cave Creek Rd Phoenix, Arizona USA

J & M Imports J & M Imports I believe removed all the codes for the car I bought, 1 year later I cant pass emissions or get the car registered. Phoenix Arizona

*General Comment: Common Sense for both parties.

*General Comment: Logic much??

I purchased the car on 3/26/12 for 5,000.00 cash. Car did not pass emissions on 6/24/13. I took the car to Orielys and they said no codes were found on the computer at all, not even make/modle or year. I took the car to Fletchers tire and auto service on the same day 7/17/13 they also said all codes have been removed. They reset the codes and said it would cost 2,500.00 to repair the car so it would pass emissons at this point. I also took the car for a second opnion to curts and they said it would cost 1,500.00 for a timing belt.

I contacted J & M imports and spoke to Lee Lubonne, he had his man look at it and said to replace the timing belt it would cost me 600.00, they would not cover anything.

I contacted the BBB and filed a claim, J & M Imports responded with false statements and the BBB closed the claim. J & M stated I signed papers that I didnt sign and thay Lee called me, none of that was true.I

I'm a single woman 60 years old and I feel J & M import took advantage of me. This company gives car dealerships a bad name and and they screw the little guy/woman. I not going to let them get away with this and do it to someone else.

(((redacted)))

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/17/2013 09:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/J-M-Imports/Phoenix-Arizona-85020/J-M-Imports-J-M-Imports-I-believe-removed-all-the-codes-for-the-car-I-bought-1-year-1076655. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on J & M Imports

#1 General Comment

Common Sense for both parties.

AUTHOR: Andy - ()

I am a ASE certified mechanic with many years of experience.

Obviously Tyg is either owner or employee of J&M imports. First, you must understand that you are providing a service and you will encounter unhappy customers.  You CANNOT expect for problems to go away by attacking the person who is presenting the complaint; specially when you are probably flipping USED vehicle you probably obtained through trade-in or auctions.  BTW, codes CANNOT be completely cleared by disconnecting the battery.  All it does is break the cycle that car computers use as "triggers" for the SES light.

To the original "victim":  I'm sorry your experience was not pleasant.  I understand the frustration this might cause you however, you have to use some common sense.  The vehicle's timing belt must be replace/adjusted on intervals of between 50k miles up to 100k miles on some vehicle.  you purchased a vehicle from a mom & pop's type of place with no expressed warranty (AS-IS) and I can almost assure you the car had more than 50k miles.  If a RUBBER TIMING BELT is the issue, that is considered a "wear-and-tear" item; which would not be covered under all kinds of extended warranties.  Also, there are a thousand things that CAN and WILL go wrong in a period of 15 months.  Cars are not indestructible and they must be maintained.

In summary, you CANNOT buy a USED car with probly more than 50k miles from a small dealership and expect for nothing to go wrong.  You CANNOT also expect the dealer to cover a repair over 1 year after you purchased the vehicle.  J&M Imports could have as a courtesy offer the customer a discount on the repair, in order to maintain that relationship, and then write it off as a loss.  Bad customer service will lead to you having to close your doors.

#2 General Comment

Logic much??

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

Ok it had to pass inspection when you first purchased this vehicle. That means the codes were still in the vehicle when you purchased it. It had to pass inspection for it to even be recognized in your state as a auto and get a liscence plate. So you then take it to a AUTO PARTS STORE and have someone who really isnt trained in emmisions inspection and have them hook it up to thier system. This tells me that your problem started at Oreilys. Ten to one they screwed up and may have wiped the codes out of your car. This isnt to say that something else did not happen to your car in the 15 months since your purchase. Say something like a bad battery, or the car computer screwing up. So before you go and start posting and looking for ppl to blame so you dont have to pay anything. Try useing a little logic in the process. If youre going to blame someone, start with yourself for the descions you made in taking your car to a AUTO PARTS STORE that probably screwed up your car in the first place.

And before you even start it, nope I dont work for any of the businesses you have named. But I cant just sit here and let you try and place blame on a person or company that you have no proof did anything other then sell you a car. Your post is supposition at best. Defamation of character and slander at its worst. As your car has a COMPUTER in it, you should be able to take it to a dealership and find out WHEN the codes were removed. This will give you a EXACT date normally. This way, when you next post, you will have PROOF!! And thats what ppl will need if you expect them to pay anything towards fixing your vehicle.