Complaint Review: j.c. penny styling salon

• Submitted: Wed, March 13, 2002
  • Updated: Sat, January 12, 2013

• Reported By:austin tx
j.c. penny styling salon
Barton Creek Square Mall, 2901 S Capital of texas Austin, Texas U.S.A.

j.c. penny styling salon fried my hair and my scalp, abused & mistreated Austin Texas

*Consumer Comment: They are jcpenny get your money back!

*Consumer Comment: Drastic color change

*Consumer Comment: fried hair.

*UPDATE Employee: Hair is already dead.....

*Consumer Comment: You and the colorist are both morons.

*Consumer Suggestion: Severe 2nd degree burns from hair hi-lighting chemicals!

*Consumer Comment: i beg to differ!

*Consumer Suggestion: ..some stink worse than others

I went to j.c. penny styling salon over a year ago to get my hair dyed from black to blonde. My hair was really long and healthy, and it reached my back midway.

I got a lot of compliments about my healthy LONG hair before I went to jc penny.

I told Vicky that I wanted my hair to be dark ash blonde with light ash blonde highlights. She put the chemicals in my hair and put me under the dryer. She then left for lunch for about 45 minutes. As she was away, my scalp started to burn. She came back with her lunch and offered me some fries. I declined.

When she took me off the dryer, my ears and some of my scalp were burned. She then put the WRONG toner on my hair, and it was a golden yellow. It told her that I wanted a dark ash blonde. She had to neutralize the color with a light brown toner. She didn't even put the highlights that I wanted. She told me to come back in a week to get the higlights.
My hair was so FRIED when I got home. It wouldn't dry for over 24 hours because it was so damaged.

I went back a week to get highlights, but my hair was too damaged. All my friends told me my hair looked realy damaged. A few days later, I went to a stylist to get my hair cut because my friends told me my hair looked really damaged.

When the hairstylist saw my hair, she flipped and told me I HAD to get my money back because jc penny did such a bad job. She then cut off all my remaining long hair that hadn't fallen off because of Vicky triple processing my hair.

I finally called jc penny to ask for my money back. The manager on duty was utterly rude to me. She called me a liar. I told her Vicky had left me under the dryer while she left for lunch, and that Vicky put the wrong color on my hair.

Again, the manager caled me a liar. I told the manager my proof that Vicky went out to lunch, because Vicky came back 45 minutes and offered me a frie. The manager started to fluster and yell at me, and I told her that I tought it was unprofessional for her to call me a liar. I called jc penny general manager and told him how the salon manager treated me. He said he would have a talk with her.

The salon manager called me back and offered me less than 30% of what I spent on my hair (over $300). I was hoping for at least 50% of my money back considering the way that I was treated and that most of my hait (which took 3 years to grow) was now severely damaged and chopped off.

It's been over a year later. My hair is still short and damaged. My scalp has been itching and peeling off for a year since the bad dye job. I have eczema on three spots on my scalp. It still has't healed yet.
JC Penny treated me unprofessionally and ruined my scalp.

austin, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/13/2002 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/jc-penny-styling-salon/Austin-Texas-78746/jc-penny-styling-salon-fried-my-hair-and-my-scalp-abused-mistreated-Austin-Texas-16741. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on j.c. penny styling salon

They are jcpenny get your money back!

AUTHOR: gobble - (United States of America)

I am 52 years old and I have been using jcpenny styling salon since I was in my teens.  About 20 years ago a stylist at the jc penny salon, in the now defunked Highland mall in Austin tx, turned my hair blue.  She sent me home and told me to wash it that it would "wear"out.  I had always used jcpenny styling saloon for the very reason I could get my money back.  I went the next day and got my money back,  I got back all 182.00, a full refund. Go up the line complain complain complain Jcpenny is a big company and doesn't want the publicity,

Drastic color change

AUTHOR: Ahr1982 - (U.S.A.)

Going from black hair to blonde hair in one step is basically impossible without losing some of your hair. It was foolish to think it could be done, especially at a basic salon like J.C. Penny. Having said that, it was stupid for that girl to have even made you think she could take you from raven haired to honey in a matter of hours without causing significant damage.

fried hair.

AUTHOR: Laura - (U.S.A.)

I think she was trying to brive you with a frie
becuase she did not want to get in trouble so
she could take advantage of you. I can not stand
how people take adavage of people now days.
its like the 21st century is crupted. that lady
should of gaven 50% of your money back. you have
gone to the corporate offfice. I would have gone
higher. I would have gone to the presidents office
of the company

Houston Tx

Hair is already dead.....

AUTHOR: Alicia - (U.S.A.)

Hair is already dead. It is a protein that comes out of your scalp. No matter how damaged it may get, it will, in most cases grow back. I don't know how the person got chemical burns from a hilight. I don't ever put bleach directly on any person's scalp. It's usually at least a quarter inch off of the scalp to begin with. Not only that, I put the hair in foil, or through a cap. It's interesting to see how much people expect from hairdressers. If you don't want damaged hair, don't have chemical services done to it.

You and the colorist are both morons.

AUTHOR: Dee - ()

To bleach dyed black hair to a light color without killing it is impossible. She should have refused to do it.

You should also have had the sense to say - hey my scalp is on fire, please rinse this off my head. Also, you should have had the sense to know that your hair would be COMPLETELY destroyed from the bleaching process.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Severe 2nd degree burns from hair hi-lighting chemicals!

AUTHOR: Joyce - ()

Have you been treated by a physician for your scalp damage? Your "eczema" may actually be areas
of severe burn that require debridement (surgical removal of the damaged skin layers). I also had a very bad professional hair-lightening experience
in April 98...

The burn was so severe, there was NO PAIN... I had suffered nerve damage! It wasn't until 4-6 months had passed, that my "trapped hair growth" began causing pressure sores.

The outer layer of scalp skin had melted, then hardened, gluing most of the hair strands "in place" where they had originally exited the skin. After approx. 8 different dermatologists (and three of them, including one considered "the best" in his field, had insisted I was psychotic.. and "IMAGINING" the sores, pain, etc.)
and 10 different treatments, I finally found Dr. Andrew Munster, chief of burn surgery at Johns Hopkins Bayview Burn Clinic.

Because of his experience in treating victims of inner city bleach fights, he was familiar with my very unique & rare problem. I think you might want to seek out a similar local "head of a renowned burn center"...

I think I've seen Houston during my various searches. In any case, if you've been treated by a physician that knows the cause of your injury...

You have a legitimate negligence case that should be handled by a lawyer specializing in negligence cases like medical malpractice or auto accidents. (And it shouldn't cost you a dime, as typically these cases have contingent fees where the lawyer takes a "third" of whatever you "recover" in damages.) GOOD LUCK!

I hope your "ezcema" clears up, and does not end up as bald spots. After 4 years, I am STILL battling large areas of hair that continue to grow UNDER the damaged scalp skin! My hair is also
still short and damaged!

i beg to differ!

AUTHOR: Teri - ()

I for one had a very bad hair job but by Visible Changes. I went to JCpenney to have it fixed in Houston by a stylist named Connie. She is wonderful, not only does she consult you but she tells you what she thinks..and usually that counts for a lot.

I had gotten some streaks put into my hair dark black hair and insted of color, Visible Changes bleached it!!!! and they were not thin lines either..There were about half an inch thick. Suffice it say, Connie toned them down and now it looks great. One thing I do advise is stick with one stylist!!! In time they get to know your hair and you and can best advise you.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

..some stink worse than others

AUTHOR: Cathy - ()

First off I am very sorry you had such an awful experience. I have been a hairstylist for over 10 years.I would have first told you that lifting hair more than 2 levels looks fake.

Personally, for any process that is going to lift hair more than 3 levels, I require a letter of release to be signed.

Releasing me from liability.I always explain why I recommend against such things. Especially when going from dark to very light.

Second, I would have never left the salon while I had a chemical service processing.Third, as a salon manager I would have given you your money back plus free conditioner and free weekly conditioning treatments .

Now, as a client in a hair salon you should know that it is not supposed to hurt to get your hair done. If you sat there and felt it burning,you should have gotten up and asked someone for help.If nobody seemed to care, you should have taken it upon yourself to go to the sink and rinse it off. One of the worst burns is a chemical burn.I know,I have had them on my hands many times.I mean if you caught your arm on fire you wouldn't wait for the fire dept. to come and put it out! Unfortunately that is a hard lesson you have learned.

You said you contacted the manager,who was rude.That manager does not own that salon. Neither does J.C.Penney most likely.They may be owned by a chain such as Regis Corporation.So,you should call J.C.Penney, ask who owns the hair salon and proceed from there.

Usually there is more than one course of action in cases such as this.For future reference,always document with notes,witnesses and photographs.(CYA)=cover your a*s.And always remember,no matter how angry you are, do not go into "attack" mode.That will only place them on the defense.

Just very matter of fact state your case.Never say what you think they should do for you.Always wait for them to ask what they can do to make things right.And a good reputable company will eventually ask.Or else,go straight to refund procedures.

Anyways, that is my opinion and like they say, opinions are like butt holes,everybody's got one. Just some stink worse than others.(smile)
Best of luck!