Complaint Review: Jeeps R Us

• Updated: Sun, March 09, 2014

• Reported By: Marco — San Marcos California
Jeeps R Us
3231 Laguna canyon road Laguna beach, California USA

Jeeps R Us Larie Tales This man extorted monies from and stoked my jeep with a illegal lien sale that is ridiculous Laguna beach California

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: False Information

I went to jeeps r us to get a new engine in my CJ7. My truck was left at there location while I waited for a estimate. After a month or two I went down to the shop to see how progress was. Nothing had been done. I guess this is why I never received an estimate. I spoke to Larie and he said he would need a 1500 dollar deposit and he would write up a estimate. I paid him 1500.00 cash and he said he would get back to me with an estimate. After several months I went back to Larie to see what was going on. Larie stated he would need another 1000 dollars and would write me an estimate. I paid him another 1000.00 dollars and waited for his estimate. After a couple more months I went into the shop to find out what was going on and he stated he had put a lien sale on my jeep for storage costs. I asked him how this could be when he has not giving me an estimate. He said he would need another 1000.00 dollars and would email me the estimate within 24 hours and not to worry about the lien sale that was to get me down to the shop. I told him I never received paperwork on a lien sale and that this was my first time hearing about it. He said don't worry about it just get him another 1000.00 dollars after I receive his estimate.

After another month went by without a single email from Larie despite the hand full I had written him questioning the status of my vehicle. I emailed him explaining my concern. I received a email back within 5 min stating that I had owed him 2500 in storage fees and that he now owns my jeep. I asked how is this possible when I paid you a deposit of 2500.00 for an engine and never received not one estimate from you nor did he ever do or even start any of the work on my jeep. He claims that no work was started because I did not bring him another 1000.00 dollars but that was not paid because I felt 2500 was a sufficient deposit and that he should of sent me the estimate and received a go ahead from me and installed the engine given me the balance to pay when the jeep was finished. I had thought that was the way to do business. Instead he extorted my money and stole my vehicle from me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/09/2014 04:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Jeeps-R-Us/Laguna-beach-California-92651/Jeeps-R-Us-Larie-Tales-This-man-extorted-monies-from-and-stoked-my-jeep-with-a-illegal-li-1129448. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Jeeps R Us

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

False Information

AUTHOR: Jeeps R Us - ()

We first encountered Marco in Feb of 2013 when he brought his Jeep in to get the motor rebuilt or replaced.  At this time he provided a $1500 deposit, and signed the original work order, which states that "Vehicles left more than 48 hours after completion of work subject to $20.00 a day storage fee." This is not something we like to do, but we reserve the right for situations like this, where we are left with vehicles taking up lot space and do not hear back from the owner for months on end.   After our first encounter with Marco we stated we would get him pricing on a new motor vs a used one, ect.

A short time after the Jeep was dropped off, when we had this information, we attempted to contact Marco and his phone was disconnected.   Over the following months he would occasionally call and appologize then promise to come in so we could discuss options and look at his vehicle.  Every time he called he would give us a new phone number to contact him on, and without fail the number would be disconnected days later and we would not recieve any sort of decision or instruction on how to proceed.   This obviously raised a red flag with us.

After attempting to contact Marco for about 4 months with no success we started charging storage against his vehicle and when the storage reached $2500 in December of 2013($20/day from August-December) we put a lein against the vehicle.   The reason to do this was to A. Get Marco to come in and finalize the work(since we had exhausted all other methods to contact him) or B. Take ownership of the vehicle and sell it in an attempt to recoup the cost of having a vehicle occupying our small lot for 10 months.

In the end of December 2013 Marco came into the shop and we spoke in person.  We told him that we had started the lein process because we had no way to get a hold of him successfully and that we had not heard from him in months.  We offered to cancel the lein as long as he gave us an additional payment to get a motor ordered and finish the work.  Marco promised to bring us $1000 in the next week, but once again he disappeared.  The phone number he gave us was disconnected in days and we did not hear from him until March 8th, 2014 when he emailed us.

When we told him that he had not withheld his end of the agreement made in Feb 2013 and the the lein sale was already finalized he became furious and over the course of 45 mins sent over 10 emails many in all caps containing much colorful language.  We obviously would have prefered Marco to have a brand new motor and drive away a happy customer but with the expierence we have had with him over the past year, while he has been "storing" his vehicle at our shop, we do not belive that to be possible. If Marco really wants to work something out, there may still hope, but we need firm answers on the routes he wants to take, real methods to contact him and reimbursment for some of the storage.