symbolic

Complaint Review: Jef Henninger (attorney)

• Submitted: Wed, February 01, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, February 01, 2012

• Reported By: AJI — Hoboken New Jersey United States of America
Jef Henninger (attorney)
788 Shrewsbury Avene, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 Tinton Falls, New Jersey United States of America

Jef Henninger (attorney) Improper billing, Refusal to refund monies due, failure to disclose fees Tinton Falls, New Jersey

*Consumer Comment: Fail - Alan is Right - Jef Henninger is Unethical

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Consider the source

I paid a retainer to Mr. Henninger to represent me in a case, but subsequently decided to hire another attorney.  Mr. Henninger had done very little work on my case, so I requested a final bill an the return of the unused portion of the retainer.  Mr. Henninger never gave me a retainer letter and never provided me with a fee disclosure at any time, as he is required to do.

He did not return any of my calls or answer any emails I sent to him.  My new attorney was also trying to reach him to help resolve the matter, but after the initial communication between them Mr, Henninger ceased returning his calls as well.

Several weeks later, Mr. Henninger advised my new attorney that the retainer had been "used up," which not only wasn't true, but didn't match what he had initially said.  As I am writing this I STILL have not received any billing from Mr Henninger.

After sending him another email, stating that I was pursuing arbitration and ethics complaints against him and planning to sue to collect the funds due he replied to me and advised me the the retainer was "non-refundable," so it "doesn't matter" where it was billed or spent.

As he never even gave me a fee disclosure he did not state that the retainer was non-refundable.  I have never heard of such a thing and would never have agreed.  Further, as he originally advised my new attorney that he would speak with him later about the refund check (he never did) it is apparent that the "non-refundable" retainer is a recent invention, motivated by my advising him that I am going to demand complete an accurate accounting of what was billed.

Mr. Henninger has changed his story several times, and he has failed to adhere to even the most basic requirements of providing a fee disclosure and a retainer letter.  He appears to be mostly interested in collecting retainers, at least to the extent I can see.

He also has a bunch of different web sites and also lists many different addresses.

There are many good attorneys.  My advise it to STEER CLEAR OF JEF HENNINGER.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/01/2012 01:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Jef-Henninger-attorney/Tinton-Falls-New-Jersey-07724/Jef-Henninger-attorney-Improper-billing-Refusal-to-refund-monies-due-failure-to-discl-832405. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Jef Henninger (attorney)

Fail - Alan is Right - Jef Henninger is Unethical

AUTHOR: mobilephone - ()

Jef,

Ad hominem attacks, really? That is very low.

The logic of Jef's response is "the person is a felon/being sued/alleged law breaker, therefore his claims are false." That is an ad hominem attack, which is a logical fallacy, so Jef's rebuttal does nothing to invalidate Alan's claims. Jef apparently doesn't believe a major tenent of law: innocent until proven guilty. An allegation is just that - an allegation and nothing more. I allege that Jef IS a scam artist, unethical lawyer and a thief, so according to Jef's standard, I'm telling the truth.

I have never seen a law office have more than one website. I'll even say that three websites is fine, but Jef has a multitude of domain names and websites, which is very unprofessional and shady.

During the short time I retained Jef, he did not even bring my file to court. He was retained on short notice, so we had not discussed the case. When I began asking Jef for his advice and talking about the case, Jef immediately began personally attacking me. I even had to break politeness and tell him sternly that he doesn't know me or my case, so I won't tolerate the attacks. He did not want to talk about the case at all and walked away to talk on his cell phone.

Then, he tried talking to the other adverse party without my consent, and without me present, in a private conference room. When I saw this, I followed them into the office, but then Jef abandoned the meeting immediately and walked away. Then he tried the same trick with a court room employee. He also abandoned this conversation when I tried to be present during the conversation. Why do you want to hide from your clients, Jef? I thought this was very inappropriate practice, and other attorneys I asked confirmed the same.

During mediation, Jeff never said a word. I did his job and had to ask him to participate. Jef acted very annoyed at having to answer questions or do his job. He walked away to talk on his cell phone whenever we weren't before the judge. Even when the court employee assumed he knew something instead of getting the facts by reading the court order, Jef never corrected the misinformation or took out a court order to confirm. Jef never informed me of my rights, provided possible solutions that could help me, or advised what the law says.

Jef did nothing when we were before the judge. He just went along with whatever the other party and I discussed in mediation, but without the help of an attorney, I didn't defend myself well in mediation, and I didn't know what I could/should have asked for.

Jef insists that any electronic communication to his office is sent as an attachment. He does not read emails, only attachments, which is very strange and the first time I've ever heard of this. Usually people want to avoid potential viruses and ask that you not send attachments. You can print or save a copy of the email.

For the texting crowd, he also will not communicate via text. He will tell you that you have to call.

Contrary to Jef's inflated ego, he is not esteemed among his peers. When I consulted with other attorneys to replace Jef, the attorneys who knew Jef were aware of his unethical practices, and confirmed that they would not repeat his actions. They are just being polite and professional by not talking about him and avoiding conflict. Pay attention to what they're NOT saying - they are not saying anything good about him either.

Jef also kept my full $2k retainer without refunding the unused portion. He did not write/file any motions, or talk to me outside of court or barely even in court, so there is no way he could have used the entire retainer.

When my credit card company refunded his charges, Jef emailed me an attached letter, ranting about how he would sue me for credit card fraud. LOL The cc company is entirely on my side, and I have since fired Jef as well.

I hope Jef responds with more illogical rants, so I have more evidence of how unprofessional he is. We all have flaws, but the flaws of another do not make Jef any less unprofessional or unethical. That is what you're hired for Jef, to defend our flaws and advocate for victims.

Jef has in fact kept client funds that he did not earn, has failed to perform his responsibiltiies, and has acted in an unprofessional manner towards his clients and former clients.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Consider the source

AUTHOR: jefhenninger - (United States of America)

Alan Isabelle knows about Ripoff Report because he's already on it.  Just see http://www.ripoffreport.com/computer-graphics/informedia-group-inc/informedia-group-inc-did-not-766az.htm

There are more complaints out there about him and he is currently facing felony criminal charges in Hudson County, New Jersey for ripping off a business partner.  Thus, you have to really consider the source here.  In fact, Alan Isabelle just called me less than 2 weeks ago to say what a great attorney I am and what a great job I did on his case.  I sent him an invoice and after seeing that he actually owed me money, he got upset and threatened to go on a rampage against me and this is clearly the first salvo.  In addition, his voicemail says that he is sorry he hasn't called me and yet he says that he has called me and I didn't return his calls.  You can't have it both ways.

Another question is, who would hand over money to an attorney and not understand the terms of the agreement?  Clearly that doesn't make any sense.  With regard to his new attorney, I sent him two letters, neither of which indicated that I would refund any money.

I am a respected member of the bar with a huge client following and a rock solid reputation.  Alan Isabelle has many people on the Internet complaining about him and is facing possible prison time for a allegations that are very similar to the previous allegations.  Thus, when you consider the source, it is clear that these allegations are bogus.