Complaint Review: John Haas

Alma, Michigan United States of America

John Haas, Horse Trader RIP OFF!! In Alma MI Fun Time Farms Alma , Michigan

*Consumer Comment: To the person above ^^^^

*Consumer Comment: A Haas Horse Buyer

*Consumer Comment: Rude, proceed with caution.

*Consumer Comment: Very impressed.

*Consumer Comment: John Haas

*Author of original report: It Is Abuse

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Sincerely

*Consumer Comment: Honest?

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Truth On This Claim

I was interested in a horse listed on horseclicks.com. I called the number listed in the ad and spoke with a man named John Haas. He was rude on the phone and told me just to call on the day I wanted to look at the horse and he'd tell me if it was available still or not. From the pictures and video, I really liked the horse so I called him and drove out within the next couple days to see the horse.

I got there and the horse was already saddled and awaiting my arrival......CLUE #1

John Haas rode the horse first and then gave me a chance to ride it. I rode him and fell in love with his personality. John had mentioned in the ad on horseclicks that the horse had been put in his care through a trade and that its feet were sore due to the previous owners not taking proper care of his feet. Then after I had drove out there I found out the horse actually had foundered and was now lame in his front left hoof. [continued below]....
..... The horse also had a cold when I went out and looked at it that they said they would treat before I came back to pick him up.

I was in love with the horse and its personality but didn't want to pay the $950 they were asking for him. (THEY ALSO HAD RAISED THE PRICE ON THE HORSE UPON MY ARRIVAL CLAIMING THAT THEY HAD SO MANY PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THE HORSE THAT THEY CHOSE TO RAISE THE PRICE TO $1600 TO WEED OUT SOME PEOPLE. THIS DIDN'T MATTER TO ME AT THE TIME BECAUSE THE PRICE WAS STILL $950 FOR ME) Anyways, he told me to make him an offer. I offered $800 and John immediately said yes. I gave them a $500 deposit and left....planning on picking him up two or three days later.

Upon getting home, I contacted the lady I had planned on hiring to transport the horse for me and as soon as I told her the pick up address she refused to haul because she had knowledge that John Haas held an auction earlier in the year and picked up strangles on his farm. (I was unaware he held auctions) She continued to tell me when she was 19 she purchased a horse from John and he made her pay a higher than advertised price and the horse she purchased from him turned out to have multiple problems and is now more crippled than her 20 year old Arabian.

I then got in contact with a man who had taken a couple horses to Johns sale as a favor to get more horses on the sale list. Well, his horses didn't sell due to lack of people at the auction and when the man took those horses back to his personal farm, strangles hit every single one of his horses like wildfire. John Haas's farm was the only place these horses had been off this mans property.

I immediately called John the next day (24 hours after I had left the down payment) and told him I would like my down payment back and did not feel comfortable with the sale. I told him what I had learned and he got real mad and accused slander of anyone who said strangles had been on his farm! He refused to give me my deposit back. He claimed it was Jessica Bassett's horse and that it was her problem. EVEN THOUGH JOHN IS THE ONE I MADE ARRANGEMENTS WITH TO SEE THE HORSE, HE SHOWED THE HORSE AND RODE IT FOR ME, HE ACCEPTED THE OFFER OF 800 DOLLARS, HIS NUMBER IS THE ONE ON THE FOR SALE AD AND HE IS THE ONE IN THE PICTURES ON THE SALE AD.

I contacted the state of Michigan and asked for their advice on what to do in the situation. The lady I spoke with looked up Johns name in her computer and said she did not see where he even had a license to be buying and selling horses like he was.

I then proceeded to file small claims court against him.  I gathered all my evidence and took it to the judge and this is what happened:

-I lost because the judge claimed my evidence from others who had dealt with John was just hear say and could have been made up. When I told him the state of Michigan said he didn't have a license, the judge simply asked him if he did, John said yes, and the judge accepted it, no proof needed!! I am not saying the John Haas does not have a license, he could, I am just saying that I was told he didn't and the judge didn't make him provide that documentation. When John was asked if his farm had strangles (by the judge), John did not deny it and instead claimed that just because one horse in the barn had strangles doesn't mean other horses in the sale barn would have caught it. WHAT! Any experienced horse person knows strangles is highly contagious. So he lied to me on the phone when he swore his farm didn't have strangles.

I ended up having to pay the remaining money and go get the horse.

Since then I have discovered multiple wounds on his rump and all over his head from where it looks like he had been beat. (The scars were pink and fresh, not a couple months old), he has a huge burn on the back of his fetlock where it looks like he has been tied up or drug with rope. (Also pretty fresh looking), and has an abscess in his lame hoof. It is my opinion that John, being a "experienced horse person" knew of this and just neglected to tell me (he trimmed the horses feet himself) And as for this horses "loving personality" he is 100% opposite now. He won't even tie! He dances all over the place, freaks out and rears up in cross ties, kicks and bolts and everything else when you try picking up or trimming his feet. There is no way I could get a saddle on him and ride him even if I wanted to.

Google John Haas Fun Times Farm Alma MI, you will be amazed what you find.
Check out his youtube...search fun time farms alma MI, you can see he does almost the same things in all of his videos with every single horse.

If you are from the area, ask your farrier or any horse person about John Haas, they will all say the same thing....RIP OFF!!

Check out my pictures of the horse. The ones with his foot in the bucket and in the blue boot is from when I was soaking it to get the abscess out and try helping his hoof heal. There is also one of his burned fetlock, and I will ad more of his scars soon.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/30/2011 03:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/John-Haas/Alma-Michigan-48801/John-Haas-Horse-Trader-RIP-OFF-In-Alma-MI-Fun-Time-Farms-Alma-Michigan-793647. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on John Haas

To the person above ^^^^

AUTHOR: thetruthrevealed - (United States of America)

Tell us how your horse is in a few weeks, if he/she is everything you thought you were getting. Too many people have been ripped off by this man/business. If you were the odd one out that actually got what you were expecting then you are truly lucky.

A Haas Horse Buyer

AUTHOR: wendydk - (United States of America)

I bought a horse from John Haas (Haas Equine) four weeks ago.  I saw the horse on Dreamhorse.com and looked up a video he had posted on youtube of the horse which highlighted the horse's capabilities.

When I called John, he was more than willing to have us come down the same night, even though it was after work, and a 2.5 hour drive to his place.  We arrived about 9pm.

This was my first horse purchase, and I was impressed with John's honesty.  Anything that he felt to be a fault was thoroughly explained, and he spent 2 1/2 hours with us while we rode the horse and handled it from the ground.

John seems like a square shooter, and is pretty direct.  Some people can't handle that, and I can see how some might be intimidated by his style.  I doubt he has much patience for people who don't know what they're talking about or what they're looking for.  Since I'm new at this, I brought my trainer to help me check out the horse, and I'm glad I did.

The price was very fair for what we got, John treated us very fairly, the horse has been nothing but fantastic, and is in fact proven to be more than John promised.  Thanks John, and we will look you up when we are ready to buy again!

Rude, proceed with caution.

AUTHOR: thetruthrevealed - (United States of America)

When you email or call to ask about a horse he is very rude telling you that he already has buyers, people are coming to pick up the horse you are asking about, and gives very little information. He had a horse listed for sale, was sold within a few days, and is now back on the market with no explanation. Be very careful of dealing with this guy!

Very impressed.

AUTHOR: Jamie - (United States of America)

I am a very experienced horse person and I seen an ad on the internet for a horse John had out at his farm in Alma, MI. I was working on selling a horse to buy another and trying to get the money together. I called John on the phone several times in a matter of 2-3 days and he was always very professional and friendly to me even though i didnt have exact plans or when i would come to look at the horse the first few times. Then finally i was able to make set plans and he was very friendly said sure come on down and even took a look at the horse i wanted to trade. It was a little longer trip than we expected and it was a bit late when we showed up. He was still very nice and professional and said it was no problem at all. He showed us around and told us anything we wanted to know about him and his farm. The horse was tied in the barn waiting for us as it was late, dark and rainy. I had no problem with the fact that she was waiting in the barn for us instead of coming in wet out of the pasture. To me it showed a lot, the horse had a lot of manners and patience to stand there. I dont like a horse that dances around so i was immediatly happy to see that. She was in good shape and looked good, other than needing a good grooming and bath, but what paint horse doesnt in the muddy rainy spring season. Her feet were trimmed up nice and John said he had recently trimmed them. She wasnt sore on them at all and there were no signs of abuse. The only abuse i seen was from one of the other horses in the pasture. She had a couple small bite marks on her. Which as an experienced horse person you should know is rather common especially when introuducing new horses, or even with a dominant horse in the pack. He saddled her up for us and lifted her feet and legs. He even rode her around for us first. He walk, trot and cantered her, no problem. He too had taken her in on a trade. Told us everything he knew about her and was very honest. We knew he had taken her in on trade and that he didnt raise her from a baby. She is a 16 year old horse and obviously has a history. We then rode her and liked her! She was everything he said she was. The horse i brought was a little iffy and i just didnt like her, he worked with her and i was very impressed with his training techniques especially his free lunge abilities. There was no abuse only kindness and patience. We ended up working out a deal and he was very fair about it and even lowered his price on the paint i was buying. We left a small $100 deposit and HE immediatley offered a reciept and we both read and signed it. This was on a friday night and the remaining balance was to be paid one week from then. Once we got home we got to looking at and it and decided we were going to his horse and tack auction that next saturday and didnt wanna make two trips, so we called John and asked if we could just pay for her and pick her up on saturday, and he said sure that was no problem. So we get down there saturday and she still looked and did great. Was the same horse we had seen a week prior. Only difference was a couple more bite marks, again not a big deal or much John can do about that. After the sale we paid for her and i again recieved another reciept. I have a two horse trailer and we werent sure if she would load, a lot of horses dont like the small two horse trailers. So we tried loading her and no, she wouldnt load. So we went and got John and he has no problem helping us. He used very effective techniques and none of them were violent or abusive to the horse. End result we got her safley into the horse trailer without a lot of fight. It has now been 3 days since we picked her up and we have had her out all three days and she is still doing great. She is the same horse and still doing great. If i ever need training or am in the market for another horse, it will be John i call. Obviously some horses just dont adjust well and thats not his fault. As to the fact of the horse you bought being lame you have said several times you knew it was lame, because ypu allowed him to bute it...well you knew what u were getting then and if you thought it was so abusive for him to riding it or walking it, why did you let the horse stay there for a few days?? Not saying it was right if the horse was truley lame but u became the owner of the horse and left it there...

John Haas

AUTHOR: MLCequest - (United States of America)

I just want to agree with the person about John Haas being an honest man. John works very hard with the horses he gets in for training or in for resale. He has trained a few of my horses in the past and he did a wonderful job with all of them. If I have any horses that need to be trained in the future or if I decide I am looking for a horse to buy John will be my first call. As to anyone that is looking at buying a horse, I don't care who it is, always get a vet check and if the person doesn't allow a vet check, pass on the horse. It doesn't sound like proper steps were taken in the purchasing of the first horse. And it says a lot to me that if the judge said you were in the wrong, maybe not everything was disclosed on all the aspects of the sale on your end. Also, make sure you get any dealings with anyone you are doing a sale with in writing. This helps later on down the road if needed.  Also I wanted to say, horses have a lot of history and sometimes baggage that comes with them. John doesn't raise these horses on his farm, he gets them in on trades, auctions, etc.. and works with them the best he can until he sells them. This is no different from anyone else in the horse business who is looking to make money on horses. You can't keep them long and your turn around on them should be quick to make a profit, so you don't always know the history of the horses you are purchasing. If bad habits or manners arise down the road after the horse settles in, it doesn't mean it's from the previous trainer. It could be you aren't doing something the previous trainer did and it's causing the horse to revert to old ways of back to being a stinker. You really can only tell the people what you know about the horse and how it has acted in your presence, not how it was before, because you really don't know how that horse was before. I received a horse in on a trade that came from Iowa. I couldn't even get near the horse it was so scared, she would kick out so hard and not care who got in her way. Got a hold of the previous owners on the papers because the people I got her on a trade from, had her for about a week and said they couldn't handle her. The lady who was on her papers said she was the sweetest mare and she never kicked or anything and she even gave her a bath before she left. There is no way that that lady was telling the truth. I can believe that mare would have gotten that bad in a week of traveling. I took that mare to John and he worked wonders with her. I will always hold John in a high regard when it comes to horses and how he treats them. I have never seen him mistreat a horse and he was always honest with me when it came to selling or training my horses. But people, use common sense when it comes to buying a horse and you can avoid most of these problems.

Another Victem

AUTHOR: HayGal - (United States of America)

I too purchased a horse from what I know have found to be a co-hort to the man mentioned in this article.  I purchased a mare for a large sum of money and after having her for a short period of time I noticed some bizzare behavior issues, an tendency to show an alarming tendency towards agressiveness and an over all disrespectful attitude.  The horse was really well trained both on the ground and aboard, but tried to bite, strike and kick my vet when he was just performing routine vaccinations and floating.  The horse required much sedation in order to carry out these much needed medical procedures.  On several occasions this horse has tried to kick and bite me and others, it even attempts to kick as you mount.  This horse seems to have been manhandled at some point and seems to have a very deep rooted issue for disrespect. I did everything by the book when purchasing this horse but I have encountered problems that I was not expecting. It is my hope to work through this, but I have learned my lesson though, you really can't trust anyone.  How sad.

Another Victem

AUTHOR: HayGal - (United States of America)

Good For You

AUTHOR: Jessie - (USA)

I'm glad that your boarder found a nice horse and that you are happy with John's services. His horses are physically in good condition and seem like they are all very nice horses, all I am saying is that I think he would benefit from better business skills and he wouldn't have the reputation that he does. I think its funny also that nobody can address the issue that he was riding a lame horse as if it had no problems, or that he is such an honest guy that he couldn't give me even a portion of my $500 deposit back within a 24 hour period. Yes, I know the laws and realize he did not have to, but that is not how I, or anyone I know that has horses would run a business.

#9 General Comment

John Haas an honest horse man

AUTHOR: Kellers Quarters - (USA)

This is from Kellers Quarters Horse Farm.   We just helped a new boarder in getting her first horse.   We found and ad for a black and white Paint for sale at John Haas's horse farm, in Alma.  We called and talked to John and got directions to his farm.  When we got there he met us and showed us around.  He show us 2 horses a black and the black and white pant.  We tryed them both and setteled on the Paint.  He was nothing but a gentelman and we found what he said he stuck too.  He said that after  30 days we did not like him we could bring him back.  We wanted a vet check before we brought the Paint home and he said no problem.  We had the Vet check and there was no problems.  We talked with the Vet and she said that she had been out to John's farm befor and his horses were in good shape with no sickness evendent.  He delivered the horse and the new owner is just thrilled.  He is everything John said he was.  We have been in the horse business for over 40 years and every now and then you get a complaint.  You just have to know what you are doing.  Any questions just call me at (((ROR redacted))).    Kathy Keller

It Is Abuse

AUTHOR: Jessie - (USA)

You do realize that trotting and cantering, let alone riding a horse at just a walk when he is lame and had foundered IS ABUSE! You not only showed him at a walk, trot and canter on his sale video, but also admitted to allowing a lady who previously came out to look at the horse before me, lope him around and trot him for 3 hours! (John Haas told me this when I came to look at the horse) Then you state that in the video you brought to the court room you showed him at a walk, trot, and canter.....that is abuse. The horse was LAME!! And you are an experienced horse person?? Lets separate your bones from your muscle and tissue and see how you like running around on it. After coming out to look at the horse, I did not trot or canter him after learning he was lame and walked him for 5-10 minutes at the most. Do not try to say that the bute you gave him was an excuse for him being ridden. I agreed for you to give the horse bute when I came out to look at him because it was clear the horse was in pain and needed it. Oh and just for the record-its only "slander" if the accusations are false. It is the consumers job to decide between whats real and whats false, and I am not concerned in the least of people around this community having trouble deciding between the two seeing as how everyone already is aware of your reputation. Just adding my experience to the list.

#11 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Sincerely

AUTHOR: funtime farms - (USA)

We welcome anybody to come to our farm and see our horses, they are well kept, healthy, and represted honestly. Talk is what it is,  talk...if you are going to make a statement that you feel true you should at least stand behind yourself with your name, not some alias. Again, what is said is one persons word against another, thier was a video taken of the horse we presented the morning,that was filmed that morning also showing closeups of the horse, and also walk,trotting, and cantering...sorry, no abuse. If anyone decides to purchase a horse from us feel free to bring a vet along and have a vet check done.  John Haas, FunTime Farms

Honest?

AUTHOR: Dont You Wish - (United States of America)

Yes your right this young lady probably didn't have the structure in her case that she needed to win but that doesn't put her in the wrong. What I don't understand while reading this is if you were so honest with this girl about the horses condition and such, then why would you of had a problem refunding the 500 dollars within 24 hours of leaving it with you? If you were having so many calls that you were planning on raising the price of the horse you should of had no problem giving the girl her 500 dollars back and selling this horse to someone else. Also, how do you explain the abuse? I happen to be at the veterinarians when this young girl brought this horse in to be examined and the scars and rope burn on this horse had been confirmed by the doctor that they were made when he was still in your care. The scars on his head and under his forelock were made around a month and a half to two months prior to the vet visit, which would have been when the horse was in your care. I've seen more than one horse that has came from your establishment and they all seem to have the same story. I also know that since you scammed this young lady, you have had another person unhappy with your services and filed a law suit against you. This lady dropped quite a dollar to get this horse in shape and if she wants to sell it she has the right to. At least when people inquire to her about the horse she is honest about it. In my opinion, all these people in the community that have problems with you can't all be false, it's your business that is at fault. Don't try telling me that you are always honest and so on and that people just file law suits against you and post things like this for the fun of it, get real.

#13 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Truth On This Claim

AUTHOR: funtime farms - (USA)

We have handled this matter with this young lady,Jessica Longstreth, with the utmost professionalism.  This horse was sold honestly, and was represented as exactly as this horse was.  The horse had a lameness issues that was described in the ad for the horse, and yes he did have a cold....a cold......which was obvious at the time of the sale.  Thier was absolutely nothing hidden, no trickery or misrepresntation.  She decided to purchase the horse on her own accord, no one pushed her or talked her into the purchase.  She left her deposit and was quite happy with her decision at the time.  She called back a few days later not wanting the horse.  Her original reason was the place where she was going to board no longer had room for him, then she claimed that thier was strangles at the farm.  This was turned into a lawsuit where she sued our farm, the case went to court 5 weeks after the original purchase.  The judge ruled in our favor for lack of evidence, unfounded claims, and had called the case "buyers remorse" and he also scolded her on not to listen to everything the internet has to say, jumping to conclusions without founded evidence, and he said thier was to be no more slander on her part of this farm and that the case was done and over.  The judge gave her the option to pay the remaining balance on the horse,or she could forfiet the deposit, and he also gave her an option to have the horse tested for strangles..which she did not.  I also want to say we never counterclaimed for any board on this horse for the 5 weeks this case went on.This horse that she claims to be so ill, injured and bad is the same horse she has listed on dreamhorse, horseclicks, and numerous other sites as a super horse, well broke, and pretty much perfect sounding...?? Obviously this is hurtful to our business and needs to end right here and now.  Due to this report we had just recently had a client request a strangles test be done on a horse she wished to purchase from us....guess what....the vet came out and did the test...absolutely no strangles here!!!  Please let this nonsense stop here. We are professionals and have always conducted business that way and dont deserve just slanderous, unfounded claims.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC