Complaint Review: John Morris

• Updated: Thu, April 24, 2014

• Reported By: rwalker — Gig Harbor Washington
John Morris
3062 State HWY 16 SW #D Port Orchard, Washington USA

John Morris Morris Race Engines, MRE Sold My Property Without My Permission Port Orchard Washington

*Author of original report: Settlement Reached

Over the past couple of years I've had my vintage Volkswagens worked on by John Morris, owner of Morris Race Engines in Port Orchard, Washington.  He's done several thousands of dollars worth of work for me and never provided me with an estimate, just an invoice after the work is completed.  I've never been told what his hourly rate is or seen a posting of his rate at his shop.

Last summer I dropped two motors off with John to be rebuilt, he called me and said that one was in pretty rough shape and not worth rebuilding but had parts on it that he could sell and apply to the rebuild of the other motor.  He sold the carburetors for $450.00, the engine case for $250.00, another engine case that I had brought him for $200.00 and a set of rocker arms for $75.00 for a total of $975.00.

In September I fell ill, and was in the hospital for an extended period of time. [continued below]....

.....  I let John know that I was sick and would be out to his shop as soon as I could to pick up the rebuilt motor.  Come to find out I was sicker than anticipated.  I had two surgeries in December and two more in March of this year.  I was in the hospital for almost 3 months.  In January I drove out to John's shop to let him know what was going on with me and that once I was feeling better I would be out to get the motor from him and he said no problem.

On April 1st 2014 I drove out to his shop to get my motor and that's when he told me that he had sold it back in December but didn't want to tell me in January because I looked so bad after surgery and he didn't want to stress me out.  I couldn't believe what he was telling me.  I asked him what he got for it and he said $1400.00 which he showed me no proof of. I know what motors like mine go for used and there is no possible way that he only received $1400.00 for it.  I want to see the proof and talk to the person that he sold the motor to.  I also want to see the motor and look for the parts he stripped off of it before he sold it, mainly the cylinder heads.

I found another motor that John has listed on Craigslist this week, very similiar to mine that he's asking $2350.00.  It's not as nice as mine was but very close.  So for him to tell me he only got $1400.00 for mine is a complete lie.  I printed the advertisemnt of the listing and will be more than happy to provide it to anyone that wants to see. it.

I then asked him what he charged me to rebuild it and he said $1000.00 forgetting that he was applying $975.00 from the parts of mine he sold to apply to the rebuild cost.  I had no idea he was charging me $1000.00 to rebuild it, I was never given an estimate.  I had him build the motor new and with parts and labor had over $5000.00 into the motor.  He sold it to recover $25.00.

I reminded him that he sold my parts and that he now owed me money.  $400.00 for the sale of my motor, plus the $975.00 for the sale of my parts for a total of $1375.00  He agreed and said he would give me a shop labor credit.  I don't want shop labor credit, I will never do business with this guy again.  I want my exact motor replaced for the $25.00 dollars that I owe him or I want $5000.00, which is roughly what it would cost me in replacement parts, plus labor to replace the motor he sold.

He has a sign on his wall saying that any parts left over 30 days will be sold.  My motor had been there for months before he sold it and a transmission of mine had been there for nearly a year which he gave me yesterday. Why didn't he sell the transmission too if my parts had been there too long?  It was worth $850.00.  He told me he sold my motor in December because that's when business slows down and he needs to feed his family.

There is parts and engines all over his shop of customers that have been there for well over 30 days that he hasn't sold, so why did he sell mine when I only owed him $25.00? In fact, he showed me a motor yesterday that he was going to try to replace mine with that was a customer's that had been there for months.

I didn't know you could sell a person's parts for profit without their knowledge or permission.  Isn't that considered theft?

I had no idea that people like this actually existed.  This guy is nothing more than a petty thief with multiple complaints about him all over the internet.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/24/2014 03:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/John-Morris/Port-Orchard-Washington-98367/John-Morris-Morris-Race-Engines-MRE-Sold-My-Property-Without-My-Permission-Port-Orchard-1141499. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on John Morris

Settlement Reached

AUTHOR: rwalker - ()

MRE and myself came to an agreement and this matter between us is closed.