Complaint Review: Kaplan University, Davenport, IA

• Updated: Tue, September 24, 2013

• Reported By: DelusionDispeller — Moline Illinois
Kaplan University, Davenport, IA
1801 E Kimberly Road #1 Davenport, Iowa USA

Kaplan University, Davenport, IA Kaplan College did not inform me of the proper degree I would need to actually become a therapist so now I am unable to get a job. Also, did not inform me that I would need to be licensed and does not provide licensure program. Does not help place graduates into employment upon graduation but shows misleading advertisments of graduates in job positions Davenport Iowa

Kaplan College encouraged me to sign up for my BA degree in 2009, telling me that I could obtain many jobs with this degree in the Psychology field. I signed up for the distance learning program, only to be given stipends that I was later made to pay back (they said they over-paid me accidentally).

I then switched to brick-and-mortar education and obtained my BA degree in 2012, but was unable to find any job in my field due to my degree not being approved. I was, however, encouraged to pursue my MA degree, since I would have a "definite likelihood" of getting a job with this degree.

They also stated that "we will help you find a job through our Career Services department." This did not happen. I was emailed job leads but was not placed anywhere.

I went back to get my MA degree in 2012, which I have obtained now in 2013, only to find out that the job field requires licensure in order to actually work as a therapist in the field.  When I contacted Kaplan about this, I was told that nobody there had any idea how I could get licensed in my field.

I finally had to call another college about this, and was told that I'd need to go back to school (no more money allowed by financial aid for this idea), so I could take the appropriate course called "Clinical Counseling." Kaplan never told me that I was not in the correct program to be able to work in my field.

I spent $80,000 in order to obtain a Masters degree in a field I cannot find a job in, due to the fact that I was not told what proper classes I needed to take to be allowed to work as a therapist, nor was I informed about the requirement of being licensed in the field!

Needless to say, I am very discouraged, angry, frustrated, and heartbroken over this! My sister-in-law attended an online university and has had many jobs since graduating.  Her classes were on a lower level than mine and much easier to pass. I don't understand this and am grieving at this point of ever having gone back to college!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/24/2013 04:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kaplan-University-Davenport-IA/Davenport-Iowa-52807/Kaplan-University-Davenport-IA-Kaplan-College-did-not-inform-me-of-the-proper-degree-I-1086845. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kaplan University, Davenport, IA