Complaint Review: Kaplan University - Online Campus

• Updated: Sun, January 10, 2010

• Reported By: Cotten — Lago Vista Texas United States of America
Kaplan University - Online Campus
Internet, Texas United States of America

Kaplan University - Online Campus Paid all my tuition and fees, and some out of pocket - withdrew from school and received a bill for over $800 - Kaplan refuses to send me a receipt or explain why I owe money Internet, Texas

I completed two terms at Kaplan University. I received a 4.0. I didn't register for classes in my third term, because right as 2nd term ended I found out there were issues with my pregnancy. I had to see a few specialists and the baby was diagnosed with a genetic disorder. I explained I would not be attending this term but may return later. I lost my baby and was hospitalized for two days. A few days later I received a bill from Kaplan University for over $800! I had paid $400 out of pocket and received 10K in financial aide. I was emotional and exhausted so I didn't call for a week or two. When I did, my advisor was horible to me. She said "Sorry for your loss" - but you needed to fill out a leave of absense form and you didn't. So, at this point I was just angry - another person got on the phone sympathetic and said she would take care of it. I never heard from her again. Followed up with 2 emails.

On top of all this - as soon as I got home from the hospital, Kaplan collections called me 2-3 times a day. This went on for months. I recently changed my number. I have called them and asked for a receipt or something in writing explaining what these charges are for. What they sent was just a bill with amount due. For what??? They won't send that either. I have legal counsel benefits through my husband's work and I am considering calling a lawyer - not only for me, but so they can't treat students this way. This is suppose to be for higher learning, but it feels like the millions of other American scams we wade through everyday. I don't like that they are taking something as important as education and exploiting it - treating it like big business. It is shameful. I am starting to think online education is a big scam, and everyone should get out.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/10/2010 02:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kaplan-University-Online-Campus/Internet-Texas-/Kaplan-University-Online-Campus-Paid-all-my-tuition-and-fees-and-some-out-of-pocket--551838. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kaplan University - Online Campus