Complaint Review: KB Home

KB Home
9101 Pineville-Matthews Rd. Pineville, North Carolina United States of America

KB Home My house is sinking and cracked in half Pineville, North Carolina

*Consumer Comment: Cracks in Foundation

This house was built by Colony home in 12/2000. The house was sinking in 2002/2003. Colony home was purchased by KB Home and 9 days later, KB Home bought this house and my neighbors house (which was also sinking). KB Home hired Shield Engineering (of Charlotte NC) and Gibson Grouting (of Atlanta Ga.) to repair both houses. (Gibson Grouting was/is not licensed to work in NC) 7 helical piers were installed under this house, 24 helical piers were installed under the neighbors house. KB Home then sold this house to the previous owners in 12/2003. They put the house up for sell in May 2007, which is when I purchased it. MY realtor told me the house had "minor structural issues in the past, but everything is fine now". (I have filed a complaint with the NC real estate commission as well) For almost half of the time that I have owned this home I have been struggling to get it fixed. I bought the house in May 2007. I found a crack in the foundation in May 2009 (1/4"-5/16" in width and 24' long, the entire width of my house) Since finding this there have been 5 Professional Engineers here, 4 KB representatives 3 of which are no longer employed by KB Home, 5 Mecklenburg county inspectors, and countless sub-contractors trying to fix some of the symptoms caused by the house sinking and being cracked in half (i.e. cracks in the dry wall, black mold, separation in counter tops from the wall, doors/windows that wont open or close, soil testing, pressure grouting, leaking windows, patterns of nail pops, separation of crown molding from walls, ceiling separations, water main breaks, etc. Even after pressure grouting under the entire foundation (on July 13, 2010), the wood floors have already developed hollow spots, a few of the boards are beginning to separate, there are nail pops starting again in patterns in the sheetrock, you can see daylight through the sides of the front door, KB Homes Director of Operations in Charlotte, saw all of this on 8/16/10 and NOTHING has been done about it. None of the piers were installed under the manufactures specifications; one pier is 5' below ground and 13" away from the house Somehow, I have been stuck with the responsibility of this sinking house. I have tried numerous times to get KB to buy it back. Currently, they are not even responding to my emails at all. I have also spoken with several attorneys, none of which will take the case unless I can give them $10,000.00 up front, even though they tell me that I have an excellent case.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/09/2010 11:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/KB-Home/Pineville-North-Carolina-28134/KB-Home-My-house-is-sinking-and-cracked-in-half-Pineville-North-Carolina-639087. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on KB Home

Cracks in Foundation

AUTHOR: Jag - (United States of America)

We have found numerous cracks in our foundation. Told by KB Home reps that they were't going to do anything about it because it's not uncommon in the state of North Carolina. We just recently replaced the carpet with floating hardwood because the subfloor is so undeveloped that we couldn't do anything else. Now everywhere you walk has dips in the floor. The wood is attractive as long as you are not walking on it.