Complaint Review: kemgas

• Updated: Thu, February 06, 2014

• Reported By: scammed — gualala California
kemgas
fort bragg, California USA

kemgas I am a new kemgas customer and already my tank is locked and and I have no hot water. fort bragg California

*Consumer Comment: Your choices (but may not favor you at all)

*Author of original report: I do pay my bills

*Consumer Comment: I am confused

I am a new Kemgas customer and already my propane tank is locked and I now have no  hot water.  I am a single mom with a son and struggling here because it is winter and work slows down this time of year.  I had an adequate amount of propane still left in my tank and hadnt heard from kemgas several months from the time I had called them to tell them I was a new residence.  one morning a kemgas truck pulled in my driveway and when I went out i asked him what he was doing.

He said he was putting gas in the tank and I said I hadnt called anyone and had not yet recieved anything from kemgas.  I moved in in july and this was January.  I told him I was a new resident here and he said oh I thought someone else was living here.  Then he proceeded to say Oh well I already filled it...  I called the office to see what was going on and they told me it was going to be $177.00 for the fill.  How can they do this when I hadnt needed gas for several more months.

In several more months I would be back on my feet and able to pay to have my tank filled when I needed it!!!! they said they would send me a bill.  two weeks or more went by and no bill.  they said they had been mailing it to the wrong address.  then I receive a bill for $289.00.  $68.00 for sales tax.  Another charge for sales tax $43.97 and delivery charge $177.09. I talked to someone there and explained my situation.  she was nice and said we could work out a payment plan.  then a man called me and I explained my situation.

I said I had talked to a woman there and she had said a payment plan would be okay.  He was nasty and said Im the one in charge here and Im the one who says if a payment plan is okay and its not.  pay or have the tank locked.  he gave me 3 or 4 days and then came and locked it.  Should I have told them to come and get the gas they put in it and let me use what I had?  then I wouldnt be in this boat.  he told me we are going to charge you $125.00 to lock it.  so Kemgas is  going to get a whopping $414.00 dollars from me because one of there workers made a mistake.  I call that a rip off.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/06/2014 04:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/kemgas/fort-bragg-California/kemgas-I-am-a-new-kemgas-customer-and-already-my-tank-is-locked-and-and-I-have-no-hot-wat-1121561. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on kemgas

Your choices (but may not favor you at all)

AUTHOR: MochaG - ()

You have 2 choices now -- pay for it or not pay for it. If you do not pay for it, you will lose your gas. If you pay for it, you have 2 more choices -- do nothing or take them to a small claim court to get your money back. You need to be able to prove that you have not seen the contract and you attempted to contact them for the contract during the 5 months period you claimed you did not see the contract. However, it is not a guarantee that you would win the case because the judge may say that you will eventually need to fill the tank anyway, so the time to pay for the bill is disregarded...

Remember, taking them to a small claim court would ruin your relationship with the company. If you make any mistake again in the future, you are on the hook because they will take you down fast. Also, I am not so sure about what they are going to do with the charge next time they try to do with you. If this is a monopoly business (no other gas company you can deal with), you my think twice about taking them to a small claim court...

I do pay my bills

AUTHOR: scammed - ()

I hope this clears up your confusion.  I did just move in in July as I stated.  There was gas left in the tank.  When I moved in I contacted kemgas.  They said if there was gas in there it was mine to use because the previous resident payed for it already.  Remember the mail, the contract, paperwork, whatever they were supposed to send me never came for about 5 months.  they said it was being sent to the wrong address.  when they came out and filled it I still had gas.  it would have lasted me three or four more months.  god only knows how much it actually costs to fill the tank if it cost 177 just to fill it on top of what was in it.  I would still be fine till march or april and by then I would have been back to work and able to pay.  I by the way paid for my internet months ago and paid months in advance when I was working and things werent so slow.  I pay my bills.  How can a company be so confused as to not send me my mail, send someone out that doesnt know I live there and not ask me if they can fill the tank and then tell me oh its to late i filled it when i dont need it filled.

I am confused

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

Is this a place you rent?? Did the last tenant leave propane in the tank?? Did you sign a contract with them?  I ask these questions because I used to work for a propane company and usually when the resident left we would pump out the remaining propane from the tank.  If the tank was a rental, then we would pick it up.  Sounds like the previous individual was on an auto refill contract.  If you used the propane left in the tank then you are responsible for paying for it.  These companies keep a gauge fill list of the start and stop in the tank.  If you can afford internest service then I suggest you lose it and pay the bills that are necessities ie: heat, water etc etc.