Complaint Review: Ken Baker Originals

• Updated: Sun, August 04, 2013

• Reported By: Denis — Las Vegas Nevada
Ken Baker Originals
108 April Gray Ln # B Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Ken Baker Originals Cal Baker Sold defective part (supercharger), refused to replace or refund Myrtle Beach South Carolina

In October 2011 a supercharger on my car has finally died (developed noice due to worn bearings), so I went to Ken Baker Originals since I needed a quick replacement (they've claimed they had 2 in stock, although quite pricey). It's a straight forward bolt-off/bolt-on replacement job, way within my level of car expertise.

After looking at both superchargers at their facility I rejected one due to signes of high mileage and picked one with low (claimed) mileage.
The replacement unit turned out to be defective (worn bearings/improper storage).
Ken Baker Originals could only offer a replacement, which they didn't have (but no refund) and it took couple of weeks before they soursed one (supposedly from the third party).

Imagine my surprise when after opening the box I saw the second supercharger, the one that I rejected upon abovementioned inspection!
The box that it came in showed no signes of postage markings or labels!

I was quite pissed, but I decided to install the unit anyway, although I knew that this unit is going to be as noisy any other old/defective one, so I slapped it on my car and drove to Ken Baker Originals.

The owner (Cal Baker) wasn't there, but one of his employees (Darell) upon inspecting the engine bay agreed that it is 100% defective supercharger and that I should bring it back for a refund.
I dropped it off at their office couple of days after (Cal Baker wasn't there again).

After leaving countless messages I finally caught Cal on the phone, but when I did, he declared that he himself needs to inspect the supercharger, and he needs to use my car for such benchtest. Cal also tryed to come up with bunch of reasons why it was MY fault the supercharger was making noise!

I of course refused and since I didn't have any more time to waste being the victim of the apparent scam, I purchased another supercharger online, installed it and was back on the road.

One week later my car has made a trip to the other side of the country (almost 3000 miles) without a sneeze!

Bottom line is that Cal Baker did anything (misrepresentation, lie, fraud etc) to sell (for over $500) a defective part and refuse a refund!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/04/2013 12:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ken-Baker-Originals/Myrtle-Beach-South-Carolina-29505/Ken-Baker-Originals-Cal-Baker-Sold-defective-part-supercharger-refused-to-replace-or-r-1072870. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ken Baker Originals