Complaint Review: Killington Ski Resorts

• Submitted: Wed, May 29, 2002
  • Updated: Fri, June 29, 2007

• Reported By:Wyndmoor Pa
Killington Ski Resorts
4763 Killington Road Killington, Vermont U.S.A.

Killington Ski Resorts is a rip-off, they put you in danger of serious injury with no recourse. Killington, Vermont

*Consumer Comment: Skiing is a risky sport

*Consumer Comment: You take the risk when you ski

Killington Ski resorts will sell you a ticket to ski, but won't warn you of dangerous conditions that could threaten your life!

Imagine you are skiing down a hill and the snow suddenly ends. No markers! No warnings! You get a serious injury. Think you can sue? THINK AGAIN!

Killington Resorts takes no responsibility for their neglegence! You can ski over a head wall onto rocks and dirt with no warning of what's ahead and get seriously hurt. Killington will open up trails that have NO SNOW AT ALL across the top and expect that you will see what is coming. They will accept no responsibility and you could spend thousands in an attempt to recover medical expenses for your injuries and get nothing! Not even a replacement lift ticket or lodging to make up for your ruined vacation.

If you are a skiier and want to feel confident of having snow under your boards, DON'T SKI KILLINGTON.

I have skied all my life, all over North America. From Arapahoe to Whistler/Blackcomb and have not seen such a deplorable disregard for skier safety. Last year I ventured onto an open trail at Killington that was bare (down to the grass) more than half way across the top. This bare spot was just over the head wall and was not visable from above. If you're a skier, you know just what I mean. There were no markers whatsoever, nor any warnings at the trail head.

I suffered serious injury at Killington that was made even worse by the incredibly bad emergency staff that treated me. My hand was broken completely off of my arm. The staff at Killington put me in an air splint when they took me down the hill via sled. When they got me to the ski patrol infirmary, the idiots cut off my jacket and stuck my arm in a card board box because they wanted their stupid $19.99 air splint back. The ride to the hospital was so painful because of my unstable "box splint" that the ambulence had to stop while they shot me up with morphine.

I love to ski and have never, ever had an inclination to sue a resort or even give one a bad recommendation. After all, skiing is a dangerous sport and chances are a skier will slip and fall or get rammed by some jerk that's out of control. Those types of incidents are rarely the fault of the ski mountain resort. However, this experience was beyond a doubt the result of gross neglegence by Killington resorts to provide a reasonable warning of danger. I may as well have just skied off a cliff! At least I would have known to expect a hard landing!

Wyndmoor, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/29/2002 07:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Killington-Ski-Resorts/Killington-Vermont-05751/Killington-Ski-Resorts-is-a-rip-off-they-put-you-in-danger-of-serious-injury-with-no-reco-21786. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Killington Ski Resorts

Skiing is a risky sport

AUTHOR: Phil - (U.S.A.)

If you're not willing to assume some level of risk yourself, stay inside in the safe comfort of the lodge and stop making the lift lines longer for those of us who understand what skiing is about.

I've skied for 30 years, had my share of falls and seen open slopes that shouldn't be skied on. I used my own common sense about where and when it's safe to ski. I do *not* work for the ski industry, but think most areas do as good a job as they can about closing slopes that shouldn't be open. I think that's as true at Killington as anywhere else, if not more so.

How can you have a thrill at skiing if there's no level of risk involved? Better you should stay in some safe cocoon where you can't possibly get hurt or feel threatened.

If Killington or any other ski area messed up and people got hurt and wanted to sue, I'd support them fully. But I totally disagree with a whiner like you that wants all the thrill taken out of skiing and the cost of a lift ticket to go through the roof because the ski areas have to pick every peace of lint off the slopes so someone doesn't fall down.

Show some common sense and bear some personal responsibility for your actions.

You take the risk when you ski

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

Being a Vermont I think skiing is stupid and risky. If you were injured doing some dangerous, like skiing....DONT SKI!