Complaint Review: Kirby Vacuum

• Submitted: Mon, June 23, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, June 29, 2008

• Reported By:Midland Texas
Kirby Vacuum
www.kirby.com Abilene, Texas U.S.A.
  • Phone: 325-6988060
  • Web:
  • Category: Employers

Kirby Vacuum Preys on the elderly Abilene Texas

*UPDATE Employee: Golden age law!

My grandparents were pressured into buying a $1,260 vacuum.They are elderly, (almost 90) hard of hearing, and can't see well. They are on a FIXED INCOME. They cannot afford this expensive piece of machinery and they did not want it. However, due to the way the Kirby salesmen pressured, hounded and otherwise bullied them, they said yes. They immediately regretted thier decision. They did not know that they only had 3 days to return the vacuum, and now they are stuck with payments for 36 months. My grandma has been having chest pains and insomnia because of this. The Kirby salespeople came to their house and stayed for HOURS. My grandparents, being the nice, christian folks they are, would not be rude to the salesmen and even though they said 'No' repeatedly, the salesmen pressured them into buying, and they finally gave in. They have had the vacuum now for 2 weeks. I called the Kirby salesman who had sold them the vacuum and found that he had already quit the company. I called Kirby to see what could be done. (The company doesn't use their name when you call. I wonder why?) Peter told me he would check into it and call me back. He never called back. I called him on Monday morning and he told me there was nothing he could do and to call the collection company. He gave me the number to the collection company. The collection company basically told me that once Kirby has the contract signed, they sell it to the collection company, and there is nothing that can be done. I don't appreciate the Kirby Salestactics. I was unfortunate enough to have a Kirby salesman come to my house a few years ago. They 'guilt' you into buying and make you feel like a pig if you don't. They say they will only take a small amount of your time and then stay for HOURS. I actually read the contract and saw that I had 3 days to return the vacuum and did so. (This is never mentioned while the salesman is there.) Every time you say 'No' they become more persistent and pressure you more. I would recommend to anyone that if a kirby salesman comes to your door, do not open the door!

Michelle
Midland, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/23/2008 08:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kirby-Vacuum/Abilene-Texas-79705/Kirby-Vacuum-Preys-on-the-elderly-Abilene-Texas-343093. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kirby Vacuum

Golden age law!

AUTHOR: Joemama - (U.S.A.)

First off i have had many people say we take advantage of older people. The kirby was designed for them so yes they love the kirby. It is not the heavy, hard to push kirby of the past. In fact it only weighs in at 21lbs W/ power drive and spring loaded handle to hold it self up. We have had older people buy them and their kids want to return them. in one case they filed a factory complaint saying they had power of attorney. The kids did not but we went to pick up and the old lady did not want to give it up. after several weeks of us going to her home and her refusing to give it back we did get it back and refund the money. (the lady was very upset) Her kids just wanted her money, and didn't care about her.(they strong armed her in to going back to a vacuum she could not use) This is common.

Ever wonder why the older generations had more money? They would buy quality. the point is that they said we forged the check and forced her to buy, the truth is she bought it and tried to hide it because she knew they would be upset. in the end there is a golden age law that lets senior citizens have up to a year to return any item. we owe this to a very large company that made this possible, thanks kirby!