Complaint Review: KLM Airlines - Northwest Airlines

• Updated: Wed, November 25, 2009

• Reported By: Gaurav — Monmouth Junction New Jersey United States of America
KLM Airlines - Northwest Airlines
Atlanta, Georgia United States of America

KLM Airlines - Northwest Airlines Delta Airlines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Air France Items missing from baggage checked with Northwest Airlines (EWR-AMS-DEL) Atlanta, Georgia

I was traveling on-board Northwest flights from Newark-Liberty I'tl to Delhi via Amsterdam last Tuesday, and checked in two duly locked bags at the origin. When I collected my baggage at Delhi, I observed that the locks on one of the bags was missing. Upon checking I found that an Apple iPod Touch and a Sony PlayStation Portable were missing from the bag. Subsequently, I went to the airline's office at the airport and they gave me the email/phone numbers to call. I duly did so but am unable to get justifiable response.

The airline says that I should not keep electronics items in the checked in bags as they are valuable. I am confused by their response as a piece of clothing (from a designer like Chanel etc) could be multiple times more valuable than an electronics item. This is speaking solely in monetary terms. An item that might be deemed worthless monetarily might have immense emotional value to the traveler. Therefore, this whole premise of valuables raised by Northwest Airlines/Delta comes across as illogical to me.

I checked in my baggage with them at Newark and it is their responsibility to ensure the safety of my baggage. After a week of haggling with them, all I have got back from them is that it was my mistake to put valuables in my checked in baggage. This to me is customer service at its worst. They have no idea how much emotional loss this whole episode has caused me as those stolen items were meant to be gifts for my loved ones. I am just hoping to get compensated for my monetary loss. Right now I feel as if Northwest/Delta have robbed me and also charged me hard-earned US $ for the same.

I am seeking everyone's opinion as to what business forums to approach or file a lawsuit so that Northwest/Delta accept their mistake in mishandling my baggage and compensate me appropriately.
Please help.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/25/2009 02:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/KLM-Airlines-Northwest-Airlines/Atlanta-Georgia-/KLM-Airlines-Northwest-Airlines-Delta-Airlines-KLM-Royal-Dutch-Airlines-Air-France-I-528372. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on KLM Airlines - Northwest Airlines