Complaint Review: Korean Air

• Submitted: Tue, April 24, 2012
  • Updated: Tue, April 24, 2012

• Reported By: Barry — Anchorage Alaska U.S.A.
Korean Air
1813 Wilshire Blvd., 4th Floor Los Angeles, California United States of America

Korean Air Damaged baggage and lost posessions Los Angeles , California

During transportation of my wife's baggage en route from Anchorage Alaska to Manila Philippines 09/27/2011 Korean air accepted liability  after furnishing a PIR and BIR damaged baggage and lost possessions report. Being it that the baggage damage was reported in Manila to Korean air the complaint landed with a Jerwin Miranda and a Henry Pagtakhan  Korean airport staff based in Manila who were in charge of all correspondence between my wife and I. On  Jan 31 2012  these two representatives after pressure from us to do something sent a PIR and a BIR to their head office in Seoul, these two documents were a recording of damage done with photographs included and a list of lost possessions from the damaged bag.
The most recent development was 04/19/20012 when Jerwin Miranda  phoned us in Anchorage as we have now returned from the Philippines after seven months. The phone call was to  ask my wife to sign a blank claim form stating that Korean air had settled the claim and that he would somehow try to send us the amount owed but had difficulty figuring on how to do that. [continued below]....
..... I asked him firstly how much was the claim settled  for as we did claim $300 total. He would  not respond to this question, he also stated that he could not send a cheque as he needed my wife to sign on receipt. I gave him the option to send the cheque via Korean freight services which is based in Anchorage, he stated that they are unable to do that either. After trying these options with this rep refusal to send the money and his refusal to state the amount that is supposedly being paid I was becoming very suspicious of the entire phone call as he also tried to get my wife to give her a bank account number in the Philippines which is useless as she is not returning to the Philippines for the unforeseen future. He then stated that due to these obsticles he will hold on to the payment for the  future payment on my wife's return to the Philippines. He then hung up the phone and we have heard nothing. I have reported this entire story to the USDOT who have logged the complaint and even after their intervention Korean Air ignored responses from them also from September till present, latterly the DOT advised me to seek legal advice against Korean Air to protect our interests regarding our complaint.
I need to find their registered agent which is very hard ,so as to file in the small claims. We were also told that airlines dislike being served in the small claims courts. We have tried on numerous occasions to settle this complaint  out of court but clearly Korean Air are indifferent and  beyond answering complaints served to their customer service , who by the way will not reply.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/24/2012 07:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Korean-Air/Los-Angeles-California-CA-90057/Korean-Air-Damaged-baggage-and-lost-posessions-Los-Angeles-California-873339. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Korean Air