rank

• Updated: Mon, October 21, 2013

• Reported By: William — SF Valley California
LA Master Plumbers
21781 Ventura Blvd Ste 533 Los Angeles, CA 91364 Woodland Hills, California USA

LA Master Plumbers John Miranda Bait and Switch on Free Estimate trying to extort first 60 then 95 for estimate Woodland Hills California

I called and schedule what I was told would be a free estimate to see why my water heater would light. Anthony came and in few minutes told me I was in luck that the unit was still under warranty. He called AO, and and they began talking him through the process. he then told me while on the phone with AO that he thought it was the thermal coupler. I asked what it would cost  if it was the thermal coupler, he told me 175 in labor alone. AO wasn't willing to honor warranty or the part without him confirming that it was the thermal coupler, so they asked him to use a meter to check the thermal coupler. he didn't have a meter with him so he left to get a meter. He didn't ask me to sign anything. he didn't put the estimate in writing, he didn't tell em for him to go get the meter would mean I had to pay for a service call. He left and I assumed that we were still trying to determine what was wrong so I could get a estimate, which I was told would be free. it took almost two hours for him to return, and after get back on the phone with AO and using the meter anthony determined it was the thermal coupler as he had originally suspected. He told me he could pick one up and have the warranty item shipped back to him as a replacement. I asked to be able to call in the morning after I talked it over with my roommate. he then told me there would be a service call fee for picking up and using the meter. I informed him I didn't agree to that, he didn't tell me that at any point and after the fact seemed unfair.

I asked how much wanted and he said 60. I repeated I didn't agree or sign anything for a service fee and that I was expecting a free estimate, and I would call back in the morning to confirm and to set a time. 15 minutes later Anthony came back and demanded a new figure of 95 for the service fee. I told him I would pay that he could give me the paperwork and to let the owner call em to work this out.

4 hours later I never heard from John the owner, so I called around and found another company willing to do it for 120 instead of the 175 LA Master Plumbers wanted.

I was willing to pay the 175 and wanted to make sure my roommate would cover half, I would not have let LA Master Plumbers extort 60 or 95 dollars out of me because they don't carry all the right tools on their trucks. if john had called me we could have worked this out. Even after I found a better price. But John doesn't have the courage to call the client he is trying to extort money from. he can't see past a small job and try to gain a client that in my case has other plumbing issues I want to deal with in the future. perhaps concerned about the time anthony spent, a simple phone call and to treat me with respect and honesty about trying to turn a free estimate into  a paid service call and I would have paid the additional 55 dollars or perhaps pointed out his own website claims he will match any written estimate by his competitors.

I wasn't trying to get a better deal than the 175 just wanted to make sure my roommate would cover her half before I agree and confirm the appointment to do the work. The attempts to extort money has lost John the job and the client and any people who ask me for a plumber, as I will warn everyone I know not to deal with this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/21/2013 10:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/LA-Master-Plumbers-/Woodland-Hills-California-91364/LA-Master-Plumbers-John-Miranda-Bait-and-Switch-on-Free-Estimate-trying-to-extort-first-1093642. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on LA Master Plumbers