Complaint Review: Leo Volz

• Updated: Thu, October 24, 2013

• Reported By: BirdsFan — Newtown Square Pennsylvania
Leo Volz
P.O. Box 574, Westtown, Pennsylvania USA

Leo Volz Brandywine Digital President attacks clients via email Westtown Pennsylvania

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Setting the record straight

For my daughter's photo day I filled out a form and on it requested a digital image.  Digital images cost $15 which is what I paid.  3 images were taken that day of my daughter.  One of the 3 images was sent to me via email but it was not of my choosing.  When I inquired why, as a paying customer, I was unable to choose which of the 3 I wanted this is the email I got from Leo:

There is no misunderstanding here.  You are trying to "squeky wheel" your way into getting more than you're willing to pay for.  I stand by what I said, and I'll say it again now so simply that even you understand it.  You intentionally created this confusion by trying to manipulate my staff.  Your smarmy comments, shameless name dropping, and whiny neediness are disgusting.  Putting the staff on the spot in front of other customers, while they are trying to help dozens of other people, is low.  You received an explanation; you refused to accept it.  That is not a misunderstanding.  That is wanton ignorance.

The public should know how this man treats his clients.  The above email was unwarranted, unprovoked and a personal attack.  There was no manipulation on my part and the staff was not busy when I was placing my order and filling out paperwork at the soccer complex.  In fact, I was the only client in front of them for a good 5 minutes.  If you order and pay for a digital image you should be able to select one that you choose, not that Leo chooses.  His treatment of me in the above email is unacceptable.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/24/2013 08:51 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Leo-Volz/Westtown-Pennsylvania-19395/Leo-Volz-Brandywine-Digital-President-attacks-clients-via-email-Westtown-Pennsylvania-1094277. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Leo Volz

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Setting the record straight

AUTHOR: Leo Volz - ()

Following is the unedited text from my correspondence with Bryan Allen, the complainant in this matter.   As you should plainly see, he left quite a bit out of his account, including the multiple e-mails he would send when he didn't get instantaneous responses to his requests for free products; the number of times this process was explained to him over the course of more than a year; the part where he told my employee that he had a working relationship with me and mentioned me by name, saying I would approve his special request; his attempts to have my personal assistant surreptitiously fulfill his requests.  Of particular interest should be his last message to my assistant where he complains about being accused of manipulating one of my employees, while directly trying to manipulate the employee.

On my order this customer was issued a full refund and allowed to keep all the product he had in hand, but he went to at least one other web site and claimed financial loss to my company after the refund had been received.

From Mr. Allen (September 22, 2012)

Leo, good evening.  I had the pleasure of working with some of your employees earlier today and last week as well.

I'm new to W. Chester United Soccer, this is my first year.  For the past 4 years I've been coaching my kids through the YMCA.

I'm writing you to request a favor - is there any way you could email me digital images of both of my kids - individual and team pics?  My in laws live in NC and don't have access to a scanner.  It means the world to them when I'm able to email them the images.  So you know, I'd never ask for a free handout.  I purchased package F for each of my kids.

My daughter, Alexis Allen plays for the U8 girls - Orange team.

My (step) son, Chance Chapman plays for the U10 boys, maroon team, the Ravens.

Please let me know if this is possible, we would greatly appreciate it.  For years we've been dealing with DNBLegends as they handle all the pictures for the YMCA leagues and Great Valley Little League.  They have always been incredibly kind in this respect.  I know it's an odd request, I hope you don't mind me making it.

Thank you so much for your time, looking forward to hearing back from you.

- Bryan

From Mr. Allen (September 25, 2012)
Good afternoon Leo.  I sent you an email on Sunday - I was wondering if you ever received it?

Thanks,
Bryan

Response from me to Mr. Allen (September 25, 2012)
Mr. Allen,

I cannot effectively comment on the business practices of other companies in our industry or your relationship with those companies, but our company treats the dissemination of digital photos as a saleable commodity.   Photographic prints and digital originals are separate products, mutually exclusive.    Purchasing one does not entitle the purchaser to the other.

On league photo orders we typically make digital files available as part of the reorder process after delivery.   U8 photographs were uploaded to our servers earlier this evening and are currently available at the following link:

U10 photographs will not be available for at least another week.

At this point there are two ways we can proceed.     The first option would be to follow through on your print order, and you can avail yourself of the reorder process to obtain image downloads.   There are volume discounts with the online ordering process, and there are reorder coupons available with your extant order.       Again, U8 photographs are available now; U10 photographs will be available in roughly a week.    The other option would be to convert your current order to digital files at the prevailing prices.   The same delivery time frames mentioned above still apply.

Please let us know how you would like us to proceed.

Regards,

Leo Volz

Brandywine Digital

From Mr. Allen (October 7, 2013)

Hello Leo - good seeing you the other day.  I was wondering if the digital images from this season were available yet?

I coach the GU9 Team #6 team, they are red, Real.  We did team picture, individual with her and player coach photo.

Appreciate you and the work you do.

- Bryan

From Mr. Allen (October 22, 2013)
Leo, I really appreciate you taking the time to send this image along to me. Could you please also email me the team pic? We also had a coach/daughter pic I believe you took. When I spoke to the young lady with the order forms she put on the envelope my request for the 3 pics in digital version.

Thank you. Brandywine Digital puts out a quality product.

- Bryan

From my assistant to Mr. Allen (October 22, 2013)
Dear Mr. Allen,

Mr. Volz forwarded me you email regarding the $15 digital download you purchased for your daughter Alexis. As I stated at the customer service table, digital downloads are $15 per image, which is what I charged you for Alexis' individual portrait. The "Coach and Kid Package" we spoke about is the 5"x7" team photo and 5"x7" coach/child photos that are delivered to coaches at no charge when their team's photo packages are delivered. Per our conversation on photo day, I only charged you $15 for one digital image, the individual portrait of your daughter. The free prints of your team and you and your child were sent to the clubhouse with your team's orders. If you would also like to purchase digital images of those two photographs, they are available at our website.

Your coach and child photo can be found here:

The team photo is here:

Sincerely,
Suzanne Stanley
Brandywine Digital

From Mr. Allen (October 22, 2013)
Hi Suzanne - thank you so much for the prompt response. I apologize for the misunderstanding - I was hoping to be able to get digital images of all 3 shots. I misunderstood and thought you were going to send all 3 since I coached.  Last year I didn't take any coach player shots but Leo did email me both team and individual pics for my stepsons team and my daughters.  I would give up the 5x7s for the digital images if that would help.  Please let me know if you are able to release the digital images to me.

Thank you again for your time.

From Mr. Allen (October 23, 2013)
Hey guys.  This is one of 2 emails Leo sent to me last year which is why I thought you might be able to provide me with all 3 digital images.

Response from me to Mr. Allen (October 23, 2013)
Mr. Allen,
Last year I gave you a succinct and detailed explanation of how and why we treat digital photographs differently from prints.    There is no 1:1 correlation between prints and digital files.  That has always been our policy, and will continue to be our policy.

Per the current pricing on our web site, high resolution digital files are priced at $15 per file.   This year you placed an order and paid $15, therefore you received one digital photograph.   I do realize that last year you received both team and individual photographs, in digital form, from us.   Following is an excerpt from the e-mail I sent you prior to the delivery of the digital photographs:

At this point there are two ways we can proceed.     The first option would be to follow through on your print order, and you can avail yourself of the reorder process to obtain image downloads.   ...    The other option would be to convert your current order to digital files at the prevailing prices.   The same delivery time frames mentioned above still apply.

“Prevailing prices” in the above note would have meant paying the price difference between prints and digital files.   The next correspondence I have is the outbound photos.   I am not sure what transpired between those two messages that would have compelled me to convert your order.

As things stand, for this season’s photographs, you have paid $15, and you have received $15 worth of photographs per our current price structure – double that if you count the retail price of the complimentary coaches’ photos you have received.   No, we do not want those prints back, and no, we are not going to convert complimentary prints into complimentary digital files.    The digital files you are seeking are available through the web site.   Understand, in no uncertain terms, the confusion here exists because you pressure our staff to make exceptions on your behalf.   This will not continue.   All of my staff and contractors have been instructed that they are not to offer or promise anything outside the established workflow for a job.   This may seem inflexible to you, but, frankly, not only do you not pay for flexibility, you’re persistent in insisting on paying less for exceptional treatment.

My decision in this regard is final.  We’d appreciate that you not take up any more of our time in this matter.

From Mr. Allen (October 23, 2013)
Leo, your email seems a bit harsh and presumptuous considering this is all a misunderstanding.  I can appreciate that I paid $15 and therefore am only entitled to one digital image.  That being said, 3 pictures were taken.  Wouldn't it then stand to reason that the paying customer should be able to pick the image of his/her choosing?  For the record, my favorite of the 3 is the one of me and my daughter and that is all I was looking to get a digital image of.  I apologize if you think I was or have put any undue pressure on any of your employees.  $15 for 1 digital image is more than fair.  I don't recall ever being asked which picture I wanted.

A response to my inquiry would be appreciated.  I've been dealing with D&B Legends for years now and never has anyone from that company made accusations the way you have in the below email.  Accusations made without a full understanding of where I was coming from.  You could stand to improve your customer service quite a bit.  Treatment of your customers goes a long way.

From Mr. Allen to my assistant (October 23, 2013)
Suzanne, I am in the process of responding to Leo now and I will copy you on that response.

His email was attacking in nature and as you will read there this is all over a misunderstanding.  My only point here is that if $15 got me 1 digital image it would stand to reason that I get to choose which one.  That is all.  Thank you for your time and I apologize if I've put you in any sort of a tough spot.  Was just hoping to get the digital image of her and I is all.

Response from me to Mr. Allen (October 23, 2013)
You’ve had your say, now I will have mine.  Before you criticize my customer service, you need to take a look in the mirror.   There is no misunderstanding here.   You are trying to “squeaky wheel” your way into getting more than you’re willing to pay for.     I stand by what I said, and I’ll say it again now so simply that even you understand it.   You intentionally created this confusion by trying to manipulate my staff.   Your smarmy compliments, shameless name dropping, and whiny neediness are disgusting.   Putting the staff on the spot in front of other customers, while they’re trying to help dozens of other people, is low.   Since you seem to be sorely in need of a reality check, here it is:  you, singlehandedly, have consumed more customer service resources than the entire league, over 1200 people, combined.   In light of that, I’d say you got outstanding customer service.   You received an explanation; you refused to accept it.  That is not a misunderstanding.  That is wanton ignorance.

From Mr. Allen (October 23, 2013)
The staff was not swamped when I approached them.  Fact remains your company should have allowed me to pick a digital image of my choosing.  I'll be sure to have the below email and others sent by you to be thoroughly reviewed by my legal council.

Rest assured when your company finally shows up on Yelp and Google searches I will be there to let the public know how you treat your customers with 'outstanding service' as you put it.  Personal insults are a nice touch. I find it amusing you operate out of and hide behind a PO box as well.

Response from my assistant to Mr. Allen (October 23, 2013)
Dear Mr. Allen,

I'm out of the office until Friday morning, but wanted to let you know that a $15 refund check will be mailed to the address your listed on your order form.

Sincerely,
Suzanne Stanley
Brandywine Digital

Response from me to Mr. Allen (October 23, 2013)
Well, attacking my customer service is a personal attack.  If you don’t like having your personality flaws pointed out, you may want to temper your own comments next time.

Your legal council?  You can’t even spell “counsel,” and you expect me to take you seriously?    Go ahead and call them.   I’m really interested to know what grounds you think you have, but frankly, I’d be happier if I never heard from you again.   Should your “council” have anything to say, please have them contact:
        George D’Ambrosio
        Rizzo, Reger & Darnall LLP
        158 W. Gay Street
        Suite #210
        West Chester, PA 19380
        (610) 429-1369

Enjoy Google and Yelp.   Make sure you paste in all those glowing reviews you gave me before I stopped giving you what you wanted.   I saved them all.

From Mr. Allen to my assistant (October 23, 2013)
Just to make you aware.  Does he normally treat customers like this?

From Mr. Allen to my assistant (October 23, 2013)
Suzanne, for whatever distress I have caused you I sincerely apologize.  The email I just received from Leo was way out of line - included personal insults and accusations of me intentionally manipulating his employees.  Just so you know that was never my intent.  Does he answer to anyone I could forward that email to?  Never has anyone ever talked to me like that.  If he has been giving you a hard time over this again I apologize.  Let me know if I can at least forward his response to you.  Unwarranted in my humble opinion.

I would be perfectly content if you kept the $15 for your trouble and sent me the image of Alexis and I.  Is that something you might be able to do?