Complaint Review: Les Schwab

• Updated: Wed, June 01, 2011

• Reported By: Lisa — Coeur d''Alene Idaho United States of America
Les Schwab
2818 N Government Way Coeur d'Alene, Idaho United States of America

Les Schwab Wouldn't return car until I bought tires from them Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

I brought my car to Les Schwab to have them check the brakes.  While there, they took the tires off and told me that two of the tires were so bad that they needed to be replaced.  Because I didn't go to them to have them check my tires, I told them thanks and I'd go ahead and shop around for tires.

They told me that the tires were so bad that they wouldn't allow me to leave the store with my car.  I asked if they were kidding...I'd never heard of a store holding your car hostage before.  They said they were serious and I couldn't have my car back.

I asked how much tires were because I didn't have much money, but believed them about the tires, even though they wouldn't even let me look at them.  I'm your stereotypical girl...I don't pay attention to those things, but I think I'd recognize worn tread if someone pointed it out to me.  Surprise...they didn't have their cheapest two tires in stock, but they could sell me other tires that were beyond my price range.

I called a place that was a half block from Les Schwab who had tires that were in my price range.  I called Les Schwabback and told them that I couldn't afford their tires, but I'd go to the nearby place and get them done that day.  They refused to give me the car, saying again that the tires were unsafe and they couldn't let me leave without replacing the tires.

What could I do?  I'm a single woman and they obviously knew they had me.  I needed my car for work and couldn't let them keep it until I had the cash they wanted.  I could have paid to tow the vehicle, thereby taking even more time out of my day and negating any money I would have saved going to their competitors.  I paid Les Schwab by charging the tires to my credit card and told them I'd never be back.

This is just my story.  Since this happened (2 years ago), I've heard similar stories from others, which prompted me to write this.  I hoped this was an isolated incident of an isolated Les Schwab taking advantage of a female customer, but I don't think that's the case.  I know people say they're great and will repair tires and blah blah blah, but personally, I will never go back to that store, and I hope other women in particular take heed.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/01/2011 07:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Les-Schwab/Coeur-dAlene-Idaho-/Les-Schwab-Wouldnt-return-car-until-I-bought-tires-from-them-Coeur-dAlene-Idaho-735754. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Les Schwab