Complaint Review: Les Schwab

• Submitted: Thu, July 10, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, October 07, 2011

• Reported By:Spokane Washington
Les Schwab
3105 S Regal Street Spokane, Washington U.S.A.

Les Schwab South Hill store alignment rip off alert Spokane Washington

*Consumer Comment: The exact same thing happened to me!

*Consumer Comment: Sounds like a typical Les Schwab alignment

*Consumer Comment: Me Too

Got my car aligned at the South Hill store in Spokane WA after buying brand new tires. Already, after only 7 months of driving, I have a flat from the inner wall of one tire becoming completely balled from uneven wear. All tires are doing this, but the rears are worse than the fronts.

I Had another shop inspect it. There are no steering or suspension componenets that are loose, and I only have ever driven on the freeway. I don't ever drive the car aggresively or what you might term even mildly "hard".

I called the store and told them their alignment wasn't up to snuff and asked them to help me, since it had destroyed my new, very expensive tires. They told me their alignment warranty was only good for 30 days, since I may have "hit something that misaligned it" after that time and they wouldn't know, and therefore couldn't warrant their work past that.

Yeah, right, I hit something that almost perfectly wore each of the 4 tires on the car on the insides of the tire in almost identical amounts. This is a completely chickshit excuse. Anyone with a brain stem can tell that hitting something wouldn't wear the insides of all your tires the same way. It's just a clever way to dupe people to get their money by offering a "warranty" for 30 days on tire wear, but then not having the guts to stand by your work. Obviously most tire wear, unless it's severe, won't show until after 30 days.

This was not only insulting to my intelligence, but I felt they were basically calling me a liar. If you don't trust me Les Schwab, I don't trust you. You've lost a customer for life. I will never return to any of your stores again.

--> P.S. What the h**l is the deal with the Les Schwab asst. manager's wives leaving rebuttals on this site? I can understand defending company pride, but this is a tire store, not a religion. Why are you making your husbands look worse in the public's eyes by trying to defend the company THEY work for? For God's sake, let the company's communications department leave an approved statement rather than making your husband's business and yourself look worse.

JohnD
Spokane, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/10/2008 04:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Les-Schwab/Spokane-Washington-99223-4732/Les-Schwab-South-Hill-store-alignment-rip-off-alert-Spokane-Washington-349805. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Les Schwab

The exact same thing happened to me!

AUTHOR: Laura - (United States of America)

I took my car into the les schwab on the south hill for a tire that had a slow leak. I had bought these tires from them less than a year ago. The guy showed me that all four tires are bald on the insides. I said aren't they still under warrantee? And there response was that the wear on the tires is due to my car being out of alignment, which the warranty does not cover. I too, do almost all freeway driving. I'm 99.% sure that the wear on my tires is due to the ruts on the road between spokane and post falls. The car's alignment has nothing to do with it. It doesn't pull to the right or left when I let go of the stearing wheel. But how do I prove that to Les Schwab, who doesn't want to spend the money honoring there warranty, and who obviously knows more about tires than I do? It will cost me $500 to fix the problem. I'm in school, don't have a job and we can barely even afford to eat. I'm really screwed here!
Laura Spokane, WA

Sounds like a typical Les Schwab alignment

AUTHOR: Eric - (U.S.A.)

Same thing with me. Les Schwab in Bonney Lake. Got it back, steering wheel off-center, pulled very hard to the right. The "mechanic" said it was within specs. Tried to sell me the expensive "cam-bolts" too. I already knew that you could buy them for $10 at any auto parts store, so I told them no. Took it back twice and they refused to fix or put it back.

Bottom line is I took it to a Ford dealer, who gave me an alignment (cheaper) and it fixed it.

Must be a company policy to try and sell you these $10 bolts for $100.

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I took my Toyota Camry into them for an alignment. It was pulling a little to the right, but after they got through with it, it was way worse and now the steering wheel emblem is off level. It was level (horizonal) when I took it into them. They said it would need another $140 Camber adjustment kit installed. This kit costs $19.95 at NAPA and is the same two bolts they have to losen to adjust the camber the first time, but if they put the new set of $20 adjustment bolts in for you, (same ones they're already messing with for the cost of the alignment) they charge $80 more. Plus $60 for the $20 bolts. They claimed the right front was barely out of alignment and needs the kit to make it perfectly aligned. If it's just barely out of alignment, why is the car pulling harder to the right and driving a lot worse? Also what the hell happened with my steering wheel? Used to be level with the horizon?