Complaint Review: Liberty Veterinary Services

• Updated: Sat, April 05, 2014

• Reported By: jen — Boonville Indiana
Liberty Veterinary Services
3355 Liberty Blvd. Boonville, Indiana USA

Liberty Veterinary Services My dog got Neutered and I got screwed! Boonville Indiana

*UPDATE Employee: Re: your lack of satisfaction

I paid $10 to get a neuter voucher from SNIS. Liberty was the only Vet in my town that would except the voucher.

They said he would need a Bordetella and a Heartworm test first. They charged me $67 for this. The receipt said for a canine neuter they charge regularly $80. I checked with other vets in town and they ranged around $49.

He also got his nails trimmed. $10. Which isn't that bad. So far I have paid $77. Now he goes home and we buy him a cone to stop the licking of the area. He came home with it being really swollen and blood red.

I was worried about him so we took him back in and the vet came out into the lobby, looked at him and said yep he's swollen. Well, first of all we already knew that. Cha Ching, $15 office visit. Are you kidding me!!!

Now he needs meds for pain and inflamation. I called my main vet I usually use (but wasn't on the list of vets to use this voucher) they said they would have charged $10 for both meds for the size of my dog. Cha Ching $50.

I have now paid a total of $142 on top of the $10 I paid for the Neuter voucher. I still have a voucher to get my cat Spayed but I threw it away.

I would rather lose $10 and go to my regular vet and pay the regular price.

If I am wrong to think this way I am sorry but I just think they are seriously overcharging people. Especially when they go in with a $10 voucher.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/10/2013 11:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Liberty-Veterinary-Services/Boonville-Indiana-47601/Liberty-Veterinary-Services-My-dog-got-Neutered-and-I-got-screwed-Boonville-Indiana-1074682. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Liberty Veterinary Services

Re: your lack of satisfaction

AUTHOR: Amanda - ()

As a patient of Liberty, it is a requirement for ALL animals to undergo a pre-surgical examination to ensure that the patients are as healthy as possible. It gives the veterinarian a chance to address any potential issues that may make surgery more risky; again, all patients must have an exam, not only those with vouchers. I have never worked for a veterinary clinic that did not have this requirement.  I personally would never have a surgical procedure, no matter how routine, without first meeting my surgeon.

Secondly, vaccines are required so as to ensure that all patients in the clinic are protected. It would not be fair to any patient to acquire a disease while hospitalized, especially one easily prevented by relatively inexpensive vaccines.  A current rabies vaccination is mandated by law, so it should go without saying that any veterinary facility has to abide by this law.  Would you be pleased if your pet came in healthy and left with bordetella  (kennel cough) because another unvaccinated pet was allowed to be hospitalized with yours. I would not be satisfied in this position.

The same holds true for making sure pets are free of parasites. Heartworms, if a dog is infected with at the time of surgery, can complicate and potentially kill a pet under anesthesia; hence why the heartworm test is done before anesthesia.  If any other parasite, especially fleas, are noted during an exam, this has to be addressed. In addition to being a nuisance, fleas transmit diseases, cause anemia, and are not something a veterinary clinic wants to be known for "giving" to a hospitalized patient.

Unfortunately, there are circumstances beyond the veterinarian or staff's control that can lead to delayed healing or infection post-operatively.  An e-collar (cone) is offered to each owner before their pet is discharged after surgery.  The cost of the e-collar is not included in the voucher, and the cost to purchase is too prohibitive to give out freely to all surgical patients.  The cost of medications to correct these complications is not covered by the vouchers either.  It goes without saying that all parties involved want the best possible outcome for pets, and as a pet owner it becomes ones duty to accept responsibility, whether financial or otherwise, for the pets well being.

in regards to the cost of services provided, clinics try to be fair taking into account the procedure done, the time taken as well as materials/ medications/drugs used.  Personally, I do not know of any area clinic that will do a dog neuter for $49; this is a low price for even a cat neuter which is usually one of the lowest costing routine surgeries performed by veterinarians.

Lastly, please feel free to talk to any of the staff at Liberty about your concerns. A public forum such as thus does little to appease either party and nothing really gets accomplished as far as making either party feel better about the situation. Deciding to accept the SNSI vouchers was a decision made by the clinic as a courtesy to those who need assistance in altering pets, and not  as a way to make money or disgruntle, as you inferred, "non-regular" clients.