Complaint Review: Locks & Locksmiths

• Updated: Thu, December 26, 2013

• Reported By: Ivan — St. Paul Minnesota
Locks & Locksmiths
616 Selby Ave St. Pauls, Minnesota USA

Locks & Locksmiths Preyed on motorist who had keys locked on cars; pay the overcharged price when we show up or else no help St. Paul Minnesota

*Author of original report: This company is a big scam artist.

*Consumer Comment: This is a huge scam

It was snowing and cold outside. I started my car, and went to clean the snow off my car. After I was done, I realized I locked my door while t he engine of my car was running. I googled a local locksmith and noticed Locks & Locksmith were nearby. They said it would be a $29 flat fee plus $35 or more depending on the lock. They said 25 minutes.

An hour later a young kid arrived and said he was going to charge me $145. I said why? He said that he can't lower it because the company takes an 11% cut of what he charges. I asked if he was a private contractor, and he said yes. I realized that he was overpricing me and the company that hired him didn't care because they were making money off of these young adults going around and unlocking cars during the snow shower and overcharging people. When I tried calling another place they said it would be a 2 to 3 hour wait.

So like a fool, I paid. I tried calling up the place to complain. The manager kept hanging up on me. Finally he picked up at 9pm at night. He tried to act like he was sorry and he was busy at work. He said that he is usuall home by now, and he is still at work. So it was so busy that he couldn't talk before.

I later find out he works out of his home. When I filed a consumer complaint, they gave me an info sheet about locksmith scams. It said that never accept a service from a locksmith that won't quote you a price. They should give you an exact price based on the make & model of the car. The locksmith did not give me an itemized receipt because he swiped my card on his smart phone.

To this day, the manager has yet to get back to me on the charges. I was told he was out of the country when I called about a week ago. No one can do anything because I let them swipe my car, though the cop who took the police report, and the rep at the attorney general office agreed that this was a form of extortion.

I messed up. I definitely should have went to a reputable company. But that doesn't make it OK for them to rip people off. Stay away from this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/26/2013 06:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Locks-Locksmiths/St-Pauls-Minnesota-55102/Locks-amp-Locksmiths-Preyed-on-motorist-who-had-keys-locked-on-cars-pay-the-overcharge-1110689. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Locks & Locksmiths

This company is a big scam artist.

AUTHOR: Ivan - ()

(612) 200-108 (this is the number I initially called)

(763) 400-4326 (another number I found online)

616 Selby Ave, Saint Paul, MN (phony address they have listed)

This is their website

800-948-5257 (number at website)

All these numbers get the same voice greeting.

This is a complaint against this very company. Same thing happened to me.

Number on the Utah Better Business Bureau complaint. Against leading to the same company

(385) 232-3926

This is a huge scam

AUTHOR: FloridaNative - ()

Thank you for your post. This "locksmith scam" is a huge, nationwide scam. For details go to FTC(dot)gov to see how the scam works, but your description of what happened to you is exactly how the scam works. These locksmith companies have many names and are not located anywhere near you, they just use a phoney adress and phoney name. The names sound legitimate, but aren't. When you cross check the address you will see that the address leads to non commerical areas or even vacant lots. When checking on the web I have seen the locksmith address come up with "borrowed" (without permission) addresses in residential areas! The price is always different and they come in unmarked vehicles using untrained people. They count on your desperation and will act intimating if necessary. I had this happen to me once with a 'local' sounding locksmith so I learned the hard way.

These locksmith scams are not only for car, but house or property keys and locks too.

The best way to ensure you are dealing with a reputable company is to have a local locksmith lined up in your phone or computer database before you ever need them. Someone that you have checked out in advance. Someone that is actually local and has experience and training. This is especially important for your home locks.

Or you can get a roadside service like AAA (for your auto) and they will send out a reputable company if you are locked out of your vehicle.

I am sorry this happened to you. Talk to any real local locksmith in your area and they can tell you, its a real industry problem.