Complaint Review: Major Energy

• Reported By: Anna — Odenton Maryland
Major Energy
100 Dutch Hill Rd Orangeburg, New York USA

Major Energy Bait & Switch Orangeburg New York

I was visited by a sale rep for Major Energy.  After about an hour of detailed discussion about their rates and going through my current electric bill at the time I was quoted a lower rate for my electric than I was receiving at the time.  I orally agreed to the rate at a fixed rate and even orally agreed with the third party service.

The sale rep proceeded to fill out the contract and check the variable rate box.  I questioned this and said that is not what I agreed to.  I was told "this is how we fill our our forms as everybody gets the same fixed rate".  Stupid me!  I receive my electric bill via email and didn't question the first few bills at the rate was similar to what I had been paying.  My bill doubled in January and I was concerned but took into consideration the cold temperatures and assumed it was our usage.  The next month my bill doubled AGAIN..to $986!!.  That prompted me to call Major Energy whom informed me I was on the variable rate and because of the "polar vortex" the bill his high.  So, not only a bait and switch but a huge price gouge as well...way above any other local price.  I was charged over 4x what I should have been at the fixed rate I agreed to.   Why would I sign on for a higher rate of electric on purpose?  I reviewed all my bills and am now aware to how much money they over charged me the last few months.

I was given a very small refund for the last bill and told they would do nothing for the over charge for the last 6 months.  I wouldn't be let out of my contract without the cancellation fee.  I cancelled anyway.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/24/2014 12:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Major-Energy/Orangeburg-New-York-10962/Major-Energy-Bait-Switch-Orangeburg-New-York-1133208. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Major Energy