Complaint Review: Manpower

• Submitted: Mon, September 18, 2006
  • Updated: Wed, October 08, 2008

• Reported By:drummonds Tennessee
1355 N. Germantown Road Cordova, Tennessee U.S.A.

Manpower I'm not being paid for work done at a local company. I'm supposed to get paid weekly and have been working since August 7th and have only received 2 checks! Cordova Tennessee

*UPDATE Employee: Marshalltown Iowa is Right!

*UPDATE Employee: So there are a Few things to consider here

*Consumer Suggestion: Manpower does cheat its employees

*UPDATE Employee: $21 Billion in 2007

*Consumer Suggestion: PAYDAY PAY every DAY

*Consumer Comment: Your first paycheck is withheld

I have been working for Osmos, a company located in Memphis, TN but am getting paid - temporarily - via Manpower. I've been working since August 7th and here it is September 18th and I've only been paid 2 checks!!!!!!!! I am supposed to get paid WEEKLY - not biweekly - not every 3 weeks - not monthly BUT weekly!

I have been given the run-around about my check for weeks now! They've lied and lied and lied and still have not produced a check! I have a family of which I have to support! I've spoken with a girl named Tasha who continues to lie for the compnay about my checks. Every week she claims that the check was mailed on the Thursday before! When I complained the first time, someone, who claims to have been the president, called and assured me that I'd get a check that Friday. I did get one, however, because it was in an envelope that was gold (Manpower's envelopes are white with the color bars across the top which is their emblem), I threw it away. No name on the envelope. It looked like junk mail! The first check came in their normal white envelope and had Manpower on it. I truly thing that they were hoping that I'd mistaken it for junk mail and throw it away - like I did. The second check that they sent (in the gold envelope) was for the third week of work. Whatever happend to the second week you may ask? Well, that was the week with the overtime on it. I was later told that a stop payment was placed on it!!!! I did not ask Tasha (the girl who works in that office in Cordova) to put a stop payment on that check. She was supposed to have put a stop-pay on the first check because I was so long in receiving it! That's what they want! They want you to put stop pays on a check but I have not since the first one!!!!! That's how I've caught them in lie after lie after lie! She (Tasha) use to claim that the check was sent the Thursday before but I never put another stop-pay on any check just to prove that they were liars!!!!!! Here it is the 18th of September and still I have not check and a family to support! I went online to file a complaint with the BBB. I was very surprised to see that they had a clean record! I've heard other horror stories about them being notorious about not paying their employees!!!!!! Many, Many stories but, for whatever reason, it's not getting told to the public and they're not getting exposed!!!! Well - IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had one ex-employee tell me about places that wont even cash their checks!!!!!!! That person didn't have a banking account at the time and tried to cash a Manpower check and it was next to IMPOSSIBLE! Things that make you go hmmmm???????

drummonds, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/18/2006 02:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Manpower/Cordova-Tennessee-38018/Manpower-Im-not-being-paid-for-work-done-at-a-local-company-Im-supposed-to-get-paid-we-211596. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Manpower

Marshalltown Iowa is Right!

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

I have been employed by Manpower, contracted to the same employer (not Manpower) for 4 1/2 years and I've only had one payroll issue and I caused that (reporting error) not Manpower.

Marshalltown also knows of what he/she speaks since they were a franchise office and are now a corporate office. They know both sides of the business. Cordova is a corporate office.

A lot goes into ensuring timely payroll. You must submit your hours in a timely manner and your employer must approve them before your are paid. Do you do your time electronically or manually? Are you submitting your hours each week? This is your responsibility.

The way to handle this is to calmly call the office and discuss any issues you have with your staffing specialist. If he or she is not answering your questions or calls, ask for the Branch Manager. If necessary, escalate to the Regional Manager. Remain calm and explain your issues in a clear and concise manner. Don't raise your voice or make demands.

Manpower's checks do not bounce! This is a worldwide company that is not having any financial difficulty. If someone had an issue with one of their checks it was most likely their issue, ie: check was held by the bank because they didn't have enough in their account to cover it. I am not the only member of my team paid by Manpower and we've never had a problem with our checks.

To Marshalltown, IA-We'll get you on the corporate network soon!

So there are a Few things to consider here

AUTHOR: Listen Hard And Ask Questions - (U.S.A.)

First of all, if you are having issues with a specific Staffing Specialist, ask to speak with another one or the Branch Manager. If that doesnt work for you - talk to your supervisor at your work site. I would recommend that as with any situation that you arent happy with you approach it as a calm and collected individual (ADULT) and I would venture to bet you'll get a response that makes you much happier than if you run through the door screaming at anyone who will listen.

As for your Check, it depends on whether your preferred branch is owned by Corporate or Franchise as to when your check is produced. However this is the standard: refer to your employee handbook that you got during your orientation. For example - If I send you to work Thursday (typical work week M-F) and you work Thurs & Fri, turn in your timeslip by Monday morning or report your hours online by Monday at Midnight, it gets reported to payroll and the check is printed that same day, or they prepare your direct deposit (faster & safer). If your check goes out in the mail, so be it, you get it when you get it (contrary to popular belief we do not control the post office). If it's a DD, depending on your bank, you will have it in your account Weds or Thurs. There is no holding of your first check, no one is waiting for you to stop payment (which cannot be done unless it is 10 days from the print date of the original check) If your hours are turned in late for any reason, you will be paid late. Bottom line is that we have to make sure you are paid for your work. Its what we do.

And I would bet cold hard cash that it was not the President of Manpower that called you, not even the vice-president of one of the many regions or departments. Maybe a Regional Director and even that is a stretch. AS far as our checks not being cashed - I'd venture to bet it had more to do with who was cashing it, not who wrote it. As someone had previously mentioned in these rebuttals - Manpower does not have a shortage of cash. At all.

PUT YOUR LISTENING EARS ON! This is the real world, you as an employee have a responsibility to make sure you read the papers you sign, listen when something is explained to you and most importantly ask questions! Just as you expect certain behavior from us as employees, we expect to see and hear rational behavior from you as an associate!

I am not looking for a warm body for the next order that comes in, I'll turn down 25 warm bodies to find the right fit. I need good employees that conduct themselves properly in our office so I know that they will on the job. I dont care if the position pays minimum wage or $65 an hour I have expectations. And you should too.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Manpower does cheat its employees

AUTHOR: Unknown - (U.S.A.)

as an ex associate who listened to all Manpowers bull, your answer was not deserving of anything.. You must be one of those employees who lies to the associates just to get us to fill your position. All Manpower needs is a warm body to fill an empty hole.. I started to work for them under the promise that the job is a temp to hire, and what happens, 3 weeks later I was called 5 times to be told the assignment has ended. No notice or reason why..I had been unemployed for 4 months and was promised a good job. The pay was only $10.00 per hour for someone who has 15 years experience.I did not appreciate the employee of Manpower to call my references home and left a message with them that my position was ended..They could call my home. There was also 3 messages on my cell phone too..I was thrown into a job with no training and only being paid $10.00 an hour..No one checked my background or job references..No drug test either....I did not get to see any videos on saftey or anything else..Just thrown to the wolves and left out in the rain.. I will never ever work for Manpower again..and wanted us to lie for you..I think not.. Also while I was in the office filling out the paperwork, a recruiter was on the phone talking to someone on how she thought us asking questions about the assignment was very funny.. She was actually making fun of the assoicates who accepted the assignment.. I never got any training for the job, but yet handling very confidential stuff..MANPOWER no more. rather go on Welfare than work for you..

$21 Billion in 2007

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

I'm pretty sure that Manpower's checks are going to clear with the amount of revenue that they experience on an annual basis. ALSO, I doubt that the President of a multi billion dollar company is going to give you a personal phone call to make sure that your $10 per hour check is in your hand. And lastly... a check??? Who doesn't have direct deposit these days? Some people...

#5 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Badbiz - (U.S.A.)

Hey its day labor and it should be paid daily in cash

Your first paycheck is withheld

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Your first paycheck is withheld. What this means is that you must work two weeks before you begin to receive weekly checks. Then, you receive your last check the week after you terminate your employment. This is clearly explained in the documentation provided by Manpower about payroll procedures. Too bad you failed to read this information, and accepted a job without an understanding of the payroll structure. This does not constitute a "rip off" though.