Complaint Review: Mavis Cole Muffler

Mavis Cole Muffler
1501 W. Genesee St Syracuse, New York USA

Mavis Cole Muffler Almost ripped off! Syracuse New York

*Consumer Comment: Rigged Up Exhaust

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Let Us Make It Right!

On 4/18/2014 I went to Mavis Cole on West Genesee St. after it appeared the muffler on my 2004 Element needed replacing. After putting the vehicle up on the lift. I walked over to see what they had found. The converter had rusted away from the resonator at the flange. (The flange had rusted, not the converter.)

The manager then told me that I had to replace the converter as they could not legally bridge it by putting a straight pipe off the converter. (It wasn't even an option given that it was a matter of holding the converter and resonator together again.) There is no visible damage to the exhaust system barring the separation of the converter from the resonator. He also said that it was possible that the resonator and muffler would have to be replaced within a month or two. He quoted me $600 for a new converter and $500 for the muffler and resonator. I declined as it looked as if a simple repair could be done.

I went to the Auto parts store and bought a muffler repair kit. I easily put the converter and resonator back together, using the tape and wire I sealed the connection. My muffler sounds great. It cost me $5.99 plus tax. I bought my tires there in the Fall and I was happy. Now I am very unhappy and I will not do business with Mavis Cole again. When your employees have to rely on a commission, you do no one a service.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/22/2014 05:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mavis-Cole-Muffler/Syracuse-New-York-13204/Mavis-Cole-Muffler-Almost-ripped-off-Syracuse-New-York-1140674. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mavis Cole Muffler

Rigged Up Exhaust

AUTHOR: Bob - ()

I understand your wanting to get it fixed as cheaply as possible, but the tape and 5.99 fix IS NOT a repair. It is temperary fix, that WILL break. You will have to get it fixed by a professional. I own a repair shop and know exactly the senerio you have. The exhaust rotted out at the flange on the resonator side. When going to repair it the flange on the convertor is rotted out as well. You want him to cut out the rot and weld a patch in. Like anything else you need a good foundation to weld to and like it or not the pipe is rotted. Exhaust rots from the inside out. It would be like building a house on mud, no foundation. Just because your broke its not resonable to expect a repair shop to start doing shoddy work and rig jobs.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Let Us Make It Right!

AUTHOR: Mavis Discount Tire - ()

Mavis Discount Tire is committed to delivering the best possible customer service and we apologize for the unsatisfactory experience.  Please allow us the opportunity to help resolve this matter to your satisfaction.  Please email Customer Relations at maviscustomercare@mavistire.com or call Alexa at 914-984-2500 ext 5000.  We look forward to hearing from you.