Complaint Review: Max Cars

• Updated: Sat, August 23, 2014

• Reported By: RippedOff — Deerfeild Beach Florida
Max Cars
520 S Dixie Highway Hollywood , Florida USA

Max Cars I feel as though he got me for 3 or 4 thousand dollars Hollywood Florida

*Author of original report: Update....

*Author of original report: Response to answer this

*Author of original report: He came and got the car while I was sleeping

*Consumer Comment: Answer this

*Author of original report: There is your answer!!

*Consumer Comment: You did not answer my question

*Author of original report: Response to they saw you coming

*Consumer Comment: You Were Taken - BIG TIME!

*Consumer Comment: They saw you coming!

*Author of original report: lucky for you!

*Consumer Comment: You let this happen

I went to this gentleman to purchase a vehicle, He prompted me to come in. Once I got there i saw the vehicle my partner had wanted to purchase for me. We both do not have good credit due to school loans and basically life. Max said he could help us they work with many different agancies. He employee took our information and advised us they do not look into that information that we were being asked to supply such as referneces and things like that. After getting all the needed information Max's secretary Vanessa comes out and asked if we willing to pay more then 300 a month for the vehicle because our credit the bank would need more of a monthly payment. I said No it's a 9000,00 car with taxes and some other fees 300 was all I could do. Max comes out then says he found a place willing to finance but the payments would be 371.00 for 54 months. my heart fell into my chest and I keep asking him why for 54 months at 371.00. I said is this the cost with the interest of the loans and your dealership fees. He said yes. So I said ok again thinking not so good credit. he told me the car had never had any work done. It only had 86,000 miles.

I agreed we signed the paper and the whole time I and my partner are asking him for the paper that shows the cost. He said he didn't have them yet but he would have them monday but he was sure that that bank would get them to him by monday. We drove the car home. On Monday 8/16/2014 my partner goes to pick up the bill of sale that indicated we gave him a 2000.00 down payment. When she got it she called me right away. She said your not gonna believe this but it looks like he charged 12,000 for the car. I had her bring the paper work to my job. Mind you this a 2008 Ford Mustang. He didn't give me a car fax and i had to get it on my own this car had an overhauled transmission in may and had an accident on it two years ago the bottom and fender had to be replaced. I asked him these questions as well he and his salesmen said nope car was clean no accidents no major work had been done.

Paper number one states

interest for this car at 24.95 annual percentage rate is 8083.68

The amount the car was financed for was 12000.00

Total payment that would have been made after we are done pay would be 22083.68

I gave him a 2000.00 down payment bring the cost of this car down to 20083.68

The inital transaction was made on saturday 8/16/2014- I got the paperwork on monday 8/18/2014

I went back in on tuesday 8/19/2014 he states that 3000.00, was added to the price for arbitration fees which he did not indicate wheen I asked what was the total we would be paying for the car on a whole. so the paper states that the car was financed for 12,000.00 plus predelivery which was 1129.00 plus tax which was 790.08 plus documant fees which was 42.00 bringing the to 14,000.00 and we paid 2000.00 which still leaves a balance of 12,000.00. Another paper states the cash selling price is 14,786.00 with 887.00 sales tax, T & L 49.00, cash down 2,000.00 unpaid balance 13.722.00 the estimated amount financed was 13.722.00. The MSRP according to NADA is 22,250.00 the inovice price is 9700.00 and the retail value is 12,475.00. He told me to ignore those last sets of figures because they meant nothing. The contract never indicated that abritation fees are 2900.00 dollars. I told him I didn't believe him. I did not believe that arbitration fees are almost 3000.00.

Keep in mind he told me afterwards I would have to pay for tags and registration. I asked him would he be willing to take the car back he said technically he did not have to because i took it off the lot and if he did he would take from my down payment for have the car for 2 days. On his website it states there is a money back gaurenteed 100 percent. His websites also states every car comes with a warranty, no warranty included of course. This dude is about high way robbery. I do understand there is a risk with people who have bad credit but I would think that the bank would set that number and let you know that no where on this contract nor on his website or any where did it state that these fees are related to purchasing a USED car. I hope they do not respond. I will not be stuck paying 20,000 for a 6 year old car that has had an overhauled transmission!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/23/2014 10:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Max-Cars/Hollywood-Florida-33020/Max-Cars-I-feel-as-though-he-got-me-for-3-or-4-thousand-dollars-Hollywood-Florida-1171801. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Max Cars

Update....

AUTHOR: RippedOff - ()

Today Max-cars secretary Lisa called me on 8/27/2014 and stated " Vernell, I said yes she then states We have your car, I said I know, She then states, You can have the back but we need you to agree to the terms of the loan.

I said I will not agree the to those terms. I also told her I will bring the car keys back and I would like my down payment back. I also advised her that what he is doing is fraud and embezzlement and cohersion and she should not want to part in it. I will be contacting my lawyer.

A few minutes later Vanessa the assistant Manager calls me back and I asked her what she wanted. She said she wanted to talk, I immediately told her I did not wish to talk to her about the car and I would like my down payment back and the next time they hear from me It would be through a lawyer. She said that I wouldn't get my money back because I defualted. I told her how did I defualt, the loan was never approved because I wasn't happy with the loan, if they are willing to refinance at the price they told me I would have no problems taking the car back. She yelled good luck with trying to sue and she hung up on me.

Response to answer this

AUTHOR: RippedOff - ()

I did try and return the car on 8/19/2014 He told me legally he did not have to take the car back because it was a used car lot, I also tried to give it back to them on the 25th of August which was yesterday and they placed me on hold and then came an took the car in the middle of the night while I was sleeping because I would not argree to the term of the loan and had the car branded as a repo even though I tried to return it twice!

He came and got the car while I was sleeping

So just an update,

On 8/25/2014 I spoke with the lending company around noon, She advised me that she had recieved the paper work. She also advised me that the fees this dealer was trying charge me were not legit fee's. I told her I would speak with the dealer.

Later on that day the lender call the dealership because he forgot to send the PROPER paper work over for my loan. She also advised him that I was not happy with the amount of loan.

The dealership calls me and I spoke with Lisa, She said " The bank told us you weren't happy with the loan". I said nope the bank also advised me that the so-called 2900.00 for arbitration fees are not legal and if they aren't and they are not listed on the contract, Then I can not be charged for them. She says but you still have possesion of the car. I said yes I do and I will kindly bring it back today and get my down payment back. She says ok hold on. She comes back and I tell her I am willing bring the car back today if he is not willing to do the refinancing and take that 2900.00 dollar charge off. She places me on hold again.

She comes back on and states she was going to call me later on and it would probably be off her cell phone. I said ok, Waited for a call and of course  no call.

I woke up this morning on 8/26/2014 and the car was gone, I called the cops and they ran the vin and told me that the car had been repo-ed but would not tell by who. Mind you this dealership told me they only had one key. I called the dealership of course yelling screaming because my property though not much was still in the car. Also because I tried to return not once but twice already and I know that whole repo thing is just to make it look like I was unwiliing to return the vehicle. Also to be able to keep my down payment. Also they took the car back because I was unwilling to pay 12,000.00 for a used car with outrageous interest and unheard of fees. I am working with a lawyer now to find out if he had the right to come and take the car the way he did, even though I tried to return the car to him on tuesday the 19th and on the 25th of August. I want my down payment back and I want to make it a piont for this guy to never have the ability to try and scam anyone else.

Answer this

AUTHOR: coast - ()

You did not sign a financial agreement that states the terms of the loan so why don’t you just return the car and walk away?

There is your answer!!

This was taken off an ad for a 2006 Dodge Ram Dodge Cab SLT

"Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab, Magnum 4.7L V8, **Needs nothing to pass FL inspection**, **Service Records Available**, CLEAN VEHICLE HISTORY.....NO ACCIDENTS!, IF you have a TRADE**BRING IT IN, will pay you MORE THAN ANYBODY., NEW TIRES, ONE OWNER, and RECENT MAX CARS TRADE. 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, BUY WITH CONFIDENCE WITH OUR FREE EXTENDED WARRANTY. br br How tempting is the low-mileage of this fantastic 2006 Dodge Ram 1500? New Car Test Drive said it ''...offers a much smoother ride and a bigger, more comfortable, and more convenient cab. But all this refinement doesn't mean the Dodge Ram has gone soft...also delivers improved towing and hauling capability, plus more powerful and efficient engines...'' Zooooooom! An awesome machine right here. You gotta drive it! It's unbelievable how it drives....really! J.D. Power and Associates gave the 2006 Ram 1500 4.5 out of 5 Power Circles for Overall Initial Quality Design. br br And many more, come and take a test drive TODAY, you going to love it, but hurry offer won’t last long, and if you are looking for finance, don’t look further, we are the best., We have more than 50 banks to accommodate any budget, come and enjoy doing business with us. ALL OUR CARS ARE CLEAN TITLE, NO REBUILDS, OR SALVAGE ONLY CLEAN CARS CERTIFIED PRE OWNED VEHICLES. USE CAR IN MIAMI, FT LAUDERDALE AND PALM BEACH FOR UNDER 5000 DOLLARS DOWN PAYMENT.

BUY WITH CONFIDENCE WITH OUR FREE EXTENDED WARRANTY. AND 100% MONEY BACK GUARRANTEE."

So if you looked on their website as you claimed you did yesterday you would have saw this if you would have selected a car, there is a gaurentee on every car.

I signed a retailer installment contract and security agreement. I guess I have to lay out for you or did you take the time to read my response to other the other post. If you didn't then read them.

Do you work for this company? If you do then you know what I signed.

Or are you a lawyer or something?

Because for the life of me I can not understand why you are defending this company the way you are. I am not the only person this business has done like this. The whole point being is I aked for the numbers repeatedly that day and he said that the price was 12,000.00 including all fees and interest. When I went back on tuesday to get the paper work that reflected that he stated something different after I had the vehicle. Whether you agree with that is here nor there. I am not saying that I did not play my part in not getting the numbers ahread of time. He asked me to trust him and I did? So you tell me were I was wrong in putting my trust in someone who is "supposed" to be a legit dealer. You can sit there all you want and say well you should have done this or that but the fact remains is that you don't know what I did while I was there and you don't know what I tried. So if you not going to help me or tell me what I can do about it then stop responding. I did do the math and I kept saying that not right yet he kept saying the bank called him with these figues and they would send the information over on monday as it was a saturday and they were about to close. So you telling me I was not supposed to beleieve that. We were the last people on the lot there was a girl that was there before us. So again if you have no positive information for me or you work for this compant then I really don't need your response.

You did not answer my question

AUTHOR: coast - ()

“I printed off the ad on line that states 100 percent money back gaureenteed and the portion that says each car comes with a warranty”

Please post a copy of the ad that states, “100 percent money back” and tell us about the terms of the written warranty. You did not answer my question, “What paper did you sign?”

“The point was I tried after we had signed I looked at the papers and said where is the papers with the numbers”

Did you actually sign a contract? A financial agreement MUST include terms. This is why I continue to ask, what did you sign??

Response to they saw you coming

Clearly they did...lol

Not a laughing matter but I think what makes me mad is that I keep asking, I need to see the numbers on this, i need to see the numbers on this. This guy gave me every excuse as to why I could not see the numbers. Excuse number one: The bank didn't actually give me the number yet they told me on the phone, Then I said well that doesn't sound right then it's we are about to close so I will get it for you on monday.

On monday when my partner went down they gave her half the paper work we signed and I had to go back and get the other half that actually had the figures on it. When I started throwing his own numbers back in his face he was telling me not to pay attention to those number. I told him straight up I didn't believe him. The bank has yet to approve the loan. I did the math in my head and I said 54 months times 371 thats more then 12,000 dollars.

I keep saying no thats not right, it's not right that really doesn't sit well with me, and he keep saying why doesn't it sit well, I kept say 371 dollars for 54 months does not sound like 12,000 dollars. I know that I had my faults in this situation. I am not releasing any blame from myself. As the first person said. I know i should have got the numbers. The piont was I tried after we had signed I looked at the papers and said where is the papers with the numbers he then said.oh I will get that for you on monday.

So It was not like I didn't make the effort. Again he said it was closing time, to trust him and the 12,000.00 was the price he qouted me would reflect all that. I got the real numbers when I went back to actually find out what was going on. Also maybe I think that people are still honest. I know that I would not do that to some one. In my contract there is an arbitration provision but it does not state that I would have to pay for it. It also states that if I decide to use an arbitrator that I would then at that time have to pay 2500.00.

it does not state at the time of sale these fees are included so when he said it for arbitration fees, I said well first off you never said that and secondly if I decide to arbitrate I would have to pay. He said no thats not how it works. As far as a mechanic was concerned. No I did not take it to mechanic or have one there with me. That is something I didn't know to do as I have never gotten a used car before. This is my first and last experience. Again maybe I put to much trust in this guy.

I told him if I find out that the fee is a lie, He will hear from my lawyer. My main piont of posting this was to get someone's opinion about this fee and also to ducoment this because I refuse to pay this amount of money for a used car. I was totally consued in this sale because I asked him straight out is this 12,000.00 the price with cost of interest and fees and he said YES I am sure of that. Only when I returned on Tuesday did he tell me that this price did not include the interest nor tags or registration.

I had seen at that piont that I signed off for all this stuff. He employees told me he was a slimely guy after the fact and he does this to people all the time. I take my share of blame for not educating my self on used car dealers because I had only went to new car dealer ships and I thought it would be the same. What I will not blame myself contraire to the first responders assanine response is that he lied to me and robbed me and also as I will state for the 100th time, I did ask to see the numbers, I asked over and over and over again and was told to trust him everything was the way he stated and he would not do that. Thank you for your response

You Were Taken - BIG TIME!

AUTHOR: Tom - ()

I have refused to "Finance" a car for 8 years. I've purchased all of my vehicles CASH paying $1,200.00 or less each time and they were actually good cars.

Most used car salesmen don't want your business if they cant make two to three times what the car is even worth. I refuse to be taken.

Think you were done wrong, read (google) the article below to see how they are ripping off the troops..

Sleazebucket Car Dealers Are Preying On American Troops

Wingspan Portfolio Advisors Blogspot

They saw you coming!

AUTHOR: FloridaNative - ()

It is pretty clear you were completely and totally confused in your purchase of this vehicle.

I don't work for any dealership at all so my post is not to defend this dealer because what they did was take advantage of you. But you really gave them mutiple opportunites to do it.

1) Never ever sign anything with blanks in it and without having worked out the terms before you sign. After all, it's a contract. It's not a 'paper' - its a CONTRACT.

2) NEVER sign a contract and then walk out without a copy of it right then and there. If anyone tells you they can't deliver a copy immediately at that moment - reach over and grab that contract and tear it up. Nullify it. Cancel it because you are about to be taken to the cleaners (like this company is doing to you).

3) Car dealerships & their saleman and F&I people have somehow gotten away with this type of baloney for years.  The only way to navigate a car purchase is to educate yourself on the vehicle before you buy and get your financing from some where else besides the dealer. That would be a credit union or a bank. That way you know exactly what you can afford and how much it will cost.

Don't let them add all the bogus fees to the contract. By the way, there is no such thing a pre-paying for an arbitration fee upfront at time of purchase. Does it actually say that in the contract? Or did he just give you that baloney verbally?

Looks like they added quite a few fees on you. They did that because you didn' t ask to see the numbers and you didn't ask to see the contract. Shame on you too for allowing the dealer to do this to you.

As consumers it is our responsibility to check out the pricing and READ THE CONTRACT before you sign anything. If you have to take it to someone to read it to you (attorney or consumer advocate or anyone that knows how to read contracts) then do that before you sign.

Get an attorney right now. But look for a good one. You might not be able to unwind this deal but maybe he can do something.

You messed up, no question. But I also believe the dealer has some fault in this by not providing you the contract at the time of sale.

As to overcharging you - no doubt that he did, but every car dealer charges whatever they can get away with that is why you have to get financing elsewhere and learn about the vehicle pricing before you go shopping.

Another thing - I don't remember you actually having a mechanic come and inspect the vehicle. Never trust the dealership mechanics - they are paid to just bandaid your vehicle together. You don't know the actual condition unless you have an independent mechanic check it out. Naturally it should be done before you sign anything.

lucky for you!

AUTHOR: RippedOff - ()

Lucky for you I printed off the ad on line that states 100 percent money back gaureenteed and the portion that says each car comes with a warranty....I know this is one of his employees chiming back at me and ur still irrelevant...I asked this dude for the papet work which he said trust me you will have it on monday!!! No no no no trust me he refused to give it to me even on monday they refused to give it up..just admit it...I see u never touched on those arbitration fees you can't justify that! This was simply posted for documentation purposes but I thank you for ur response! Have a great day!

You let this happen

AUTHOR: coast - ()

“I agreed we signed the paper and the whole time I and my partner are asking him for the paper that shows the cost.”

There is something seriously wrong with that statement. What paper did you sign? If it isn’t the financial agreement what was it? If they refused to provide the requested information you should have walked out.

“Total payment that would have been made after we are done pay would be 22083.68”

The total approximate cost of the car should have been obvious by using simple math without a calculator: $400 x 50 months= $20000.

“On his website it states there is a money back gaurenteed 100 percent.”

Where on their website does it state that? I may have overlooked it but what I found is: All of our pre-owned vehicles are protected by our "MONEY BACK GUARANTEE."
Certain restrictions apply: Ask dealer for more details.

Did you ask about the restrictions and details?

“His websites also states every car comes with a warranty, no warranty included of course.”

Their website states: FREE Extended Warranty, included with every vehicle from MaxCars.

You need documentation that clearly defines the terms of the extended warranty. ‘The extended warranty’ may only last two hours.

You failed to protect yourself. You signed a document that apparently does not state the terms of the loan or the terms of the warranty. You left without a copy of the documentation (really?) and now you’re committed to paying an additional 100% in finance fees. Enjoy your new car.