Complaint Review: Maytag/Whirlpool

• Updated: Fri, May 24, 2013

• Reported By: teflonduck — Orlando Florida
Maytag/Whirlpool
553 Benson Road Benton Harbor, Michigan USA

Maytag/Whirlpool The Washer from Hell (Maytag 4000 series) MHWE450WW01 Benton Harbor Michigan

*Author of original report: Update on Washer from Hell

In Feb. 2011 I bought my current Maytag Washer (4000 series, Model: MHWE450WW01) to the tune of just over $ 800 including taxes.  Until last week, I was very happy with it. Then.......it started making horrendous noises during the spin cycles.  It was so bad that I was afraid to get near the machine;  the noise could be heard all through the house (washer and dryer are located in the garage on a concrete pedestal, perfectly leveled).

Yesterday, I contacted Maytag to inquire about service/repairs.  After a lot of back and forth and holdings, I was eventually trasnfered to Whirlpool, and an appointment was made for this morning, 24 May 2013.  The repairman , who arrived on time, was from A&E Factory Service, which I believe belongs to SEARS.  At least, SEARS debited my bank account within an hour for the trip charge.

The repairman shook the drum, and informed me that the bearings were bad (I had guessed that) and that I needed a new "outer tub" and some other part that connects to that tub, and a new drum.  He then presented me with an estimated repair bill for $ 1,378.42 !!!!!  Following my loud complaint, he revised the estimate downward to $ 832.06 because the drum was actually still under warranty.  I still blew a gasket because that was just a little more than I paid for the entire washer just 2 years ago.  How can a repair cost more than the machine new? Is Maytag selling new appliances at massive losses?

After the repairman left, I called Maytag to inquire about help with this (as suggested by the repairman).  I was inormed they couldn't answer that until they had the report from the repairman.  I then called the repairman and asked him to call Maytag asap.  He told me, he doesn't call anyone; his information gets uploaded from his laptop to some server at the end of the day.  Hmmm, the ticket with the repair estimate clearly states that the repairman is supposed to call 1-800-387-1086 with diagnosis of problem.

I called Maytag back, asking whether they could expedite this a little considering it is Friday and this weekend is Memorial Day Weekend.  If we ended up having to buy a new washer, we would like to take advantge of present Memorial Day sales which end Tuesday.  Maytag CSR told me, no, they can't do that ....they have a process to follow, and I would likely not be called until Tuesday or Wednesday (if at all).

While stewing in my anger, I googled this particular model washer, and came across many pages with angry reviews about the very same problems I was experiencing with my own Maytag washer.  Here a sample link:

With little effort, anyone can find many other webpages regarding the very same problem.  I believe, there is one even on this very website.

So, apparently this is a well known problem, and Maytag/Whirlpool has done nothing to alleviate the problem or help their customers.  They continued to sell this model washer, knowing that it most likely has a serious design flaw or a problem with the quality of the part(s).  To me that clearly constitutes a ripoff.

I will also contact the BBB in Michigan and any other place I can find.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/24/2013 06:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MaytagWhirlpool/Benton-Harbor-Michigan-49022/MaytagWhirlpool-The-Washer-from-Hell-Maytag-4000-series-MHWE450WW01-Benton-Harbor-Mic-1053704. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Maytag/Whirlpool

Update on Washer from Hell

AUTHOR: teflonduck - ()

I only wanted to update my report on the Maytag washer Model # MHWE450WW01, but the rebuttal is all I got.  Today, 28 May 2013, I called Maytag again, and was transfered to a "specialist" in TN.  Without further ado, I was informed that Maytag will pay for the needed parts in full.  All I have to pay is the labor ($ 129). I was pleasantly surprised and very, very glad.

Furthermore, I was told that the bearings problem is a known defect.....basically a design flaw, and Maytag works with a new Company, which has redesigned the parts and manufactures them.  Once my washer is repaired, I get 90 days warranty on that repair, and can obtain additional warranty from Maytag at a reasonable fee. Other parts of the washer have warranty of 5 - 10 years from day of purchase.